Wisconsin Badgers Logo

hettinger_rl

I must have Mustelids on the brain! I just re-tooled my wolverine logo and that inspired me to do a badger logo.

I didn't actually have Wisconsin in mind when I started this, but its an easy fit. I also KNOW that they would never dump their classic Bucky. This is just a conceptual idea on which I'd like to get some feedback. 

Badger2.png.20ed5101c99dfa11f6c16b332a0c

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

I'm drawn to the red in the mouth, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad.  The black coloring around the snout gives me a Groucho Marx fake mustache kind of vibe.

Given those two things, I really like it.  It might be oddly dimensioned for a helmet logo, though, as it seems very wide compared to its height.

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I'm drawn to the red in the mouth, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad.  The black coloring around the snout gives me a Groucho Marx fake mustache kind of vibe.

Given those two things, I really like it.  It might be oddly dimensioned for a helmet logo, though, as it seems very wide compared to its height.

Does the monochrome version help the "gums" problem?

Badger3.png.efe0fd801860fee613b2605dcb23

17 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I like the two main versions above better than the color tweaks.  For some reason, I see my Lhasa Apso that we had when I was growing up in those versions (and it wasn't even grey)!

Thanks for the feedback!

Here are some alternate ideas I've been bouncing around:

BadgerState.png.23b81075121a2d397695cad7Paw2.png.0595742d6abbddc26614852e8a2d4d6Paw1.png.3a8a931acfc6d4ebc981d4b981f60fdPaw.png.4735b4fcee4ef0836313dd49c18377b3

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, me too.

I think the badger logo is still too horizontal for most applications.  And not a fan of the gray nose.  But I love those Wisconsin/paw marks.

I tried out having a red nose and it got too "Rudolphy." Just white would likely be ok, but might seem too bright in contrast. As far as the horizontal-ness, much of that comes right from the source animal and is part of the design. Badgers are of the earth and horizontal tendencies reinforce that. Thanks for your comments and adding to the discussion.

Guest darkpiranha

Two-color is definitely the best option, either red or black, black preferable to my tastes.

It looks like if you smooshed things around a little bit, you could almost get the shapes of the paw print to line up with the darker areas on the badger's face.  That could be interesting if the logo could accommodate both aspects.

1 hour ago, hettinger_rl said:

I tried out having a red nose and it got too "Rudolphy." Just white would likely be ok, but might seem too bright in contrast. As far as the horizontal-ness, much of that comes right from the source animal and is part of the design. Badgers are of the earth and horizontal tendencies reinforce that. Thanks for your comments and adding to the discussion.

I get why the logo is so horizontal.  And for many applications, it would be great.  But sports logos don't generally work in that ratio; if you're creating a new logo for the university to use, you might need to tweak the design to make it less extreme.  Evem opening the badger's mouth would stretch the face vertically and create a better ratio.

Love the paw-state logos (though it does look like the state outline the Bucks use).  I really wish Wisconsin used something other than Aachen Bold.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2016 at 1:57 PM, WSU151 said:

Love the paw-state logos (though it does look like the state outline the Bucks use).  I really wish Wisconsin used something other than Aachen Bold.

Yeah it really pigeonholes their brand.

As I take a look at these logos again, they are really good.  The badger is great when it's red, white, and black...but there's also a timeless (throwback) factor in the red and white.

And you mastered the angularity of the paw within the state.  

Well done, man.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 6 months later...

Archived