expos question

Tygers09

IF MLB was to return to Montreal, Wouldn' t the new franchise have to buy the rights or get permission from the owners of the Nationals, to use the Expos team nickname? I myself think they should come up with a new team nickname ; I don't have any suggestions right now.  

Now I know the trolls and nay sayers are going to come out of the woodwork and say that the MLB isn't coming back to Montreal, and of course, there is the issues about  Olympic Stadium, I don't care about that, let's just focus on the team nickname. 

The Winnipeg Jets came back with that name even though the original Jets' history still belongs to the Arizona Coyotes, so it'd probably be up to the team and the league to allow it.  And if Quebec gets a new NHL team it'd be hard to think of it not being the Nordiques.

4 minutes ago, appleclock said:

The Winnipeg Jets came back with that name even though the original Jets' history still belongs to the Arizona Coyotes, so it'd probably be up to the team and the league to allow it.  And if Quebec gets a new NHL team it'd be hard to think of it not being the Nordiques.

Then again I'm pretty sure they still had to acquire the rights from Arizona

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

MLB owned the expos prior to selling them as the Nationals. It's possible that they maintained the rights to the logos and other ip.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, TRoyConcepts said:

Then again I'm pretty sure they still had to acquire the rights from Arizona

The NHL owned the Yotes at the time, which made it easy for Winnipeg. But yes, there's still going to be paperwork involved.

17 minutes ago, insert name said:

I don't understand why you have to take the history with you if you're gonna change the name. 

These are private businesses. If ownership deems there's monetary value to hanging onto the old franchise name and subsequent history/records, they keep it. For non-equity supporters/fans to think that pro sports franchise owners have any sort of civic obligation or to leave anything behind is a tad naive.

11 minutes ago, guest23 said:

These are private businesses. If ownership deems there's monetary value to hanging onto the old franchise name and subsequent history/records, they keep it. For non-equity supporters/fans to think that pro sports franchise owners have any sort of civic obligation or to leave anything behind is a tad naive.

I can't imagine them coming back as anything other than the Expos. Hopefully an agreement can be made with the ownership in Washington to do the right thing. Do they have an obligation? No, but it can be argued that the team name, colors, and history belong to the city and fans just as much than the team itself. Especially when their very existence is subsidized (in more ways than one) by the community more often times than not. 

Archived