World cup of hockey, success or failure

Thomas

All-in-all, I'd say it was middling. The fans seem pretty split, overall. Even Canadians, who you would think would be estatic to win, after no teams in the playoffs, seemed to have a lukewarm reaction. The League is probably going to put their own spin on it, to make it look like a resounding success, though.

As far as NHL experiments go, on a scale of Guardians to 2016 All-Star Weekend, I'd give it a Raleigh: not entirely without merit, but it fell short of expectations and I don't think too many people (player or fan) would be sad to see it go.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pierre McGuire is the author of the worst call in hockey history.

Gord: "CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?"

Pierre: "I can, because of the great play by Ryan Ellis at the point!"

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Pang is Pierre, but less annoying and more insightful. I don't care where every single player in the NHL played junior or college hockey. Why is your first thought after a guy scores a playoff overtime winner to shout that he played for the Medicine Hat Tigers? That's really weird, right?

I'll never forget Pierre crapping all over Gord Miller's attempt to make a moment at the World Juniors.

"CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?"
"Well, actually, I can, because..."

EDIT: dammit, that's what happens when you reply on page 2 of a 3-page thread

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Pierre McGuire is the author of the worst call in hockey history.

Gord: "CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?"

Pierre: "I can, because of the great play by Ryan Ellis at the point!"

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

What always got me about that was that you so easily could have rounded up some DeviantArt people to design thirty discrete team-themed superheroes. Right now those same people are probably making NHL versions of the My Little Ponies and then beating off to them.

35 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

G30_Reveal_Thrasher.jpg

Whoops...

I always felt like Marvel and the NHL knew something we didn't... I mean you could call it a coincidence, but for two teams with completely different brandings, all you have to do is change the logo... :P

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

3 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I always felt like Marvel and the NHL knew something we didn't... I mean you could call it a coincidence, but for two teams with completely different brandings, all you have to do is change the logo... :P

With the timing, they may have been covering their bases.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

It's a coincidence: TNSE had to slap together a Jets identity like a kid writing a paper in study hall because nobody was very jazzed about promoting the Manitoba Moose.

• 2 weeks later...

I barely cared about the WCH while it was on. Not only because it was a fake tournament with fake "national" teams, but because it was in September. (As a fan I don't go into "hockey mode" until maybe a week before the actual NHL season starts.) In other words, the very reason why the league and team owners are pushing this over the Olympics.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived