MLB Color Rush (Completed)

MJD7

Hey everyone,

Inspired by a few of the other threads on these boards, I wanted to do a little mini-series for an MLB Color Rush, just as a fun thing to do, while I'm working on my redesign series (which should be coming sometime in the future.) This should last about 8 days or so, as I'll post one matchup to start off today, and two every day after.

Anyway, let's get into some rules I tried to follow:
-The jersey and pants are the only things that have to match. Hat and socks can match if desired. The belt will not ever match the pants.

-Even if a team already has an alternate that is the same color as the Color Rush, I tried to change it up a bit for some of them, just for the sake of it.

-The uniforms will be based off of the ones I designed in my tweaks series, so most of the logos will be kept the same. While there won't be any direct throwbacks, there will definitely be some that harken back to a certain era color-wise though.

-The matchups are going to be interleague, by division (I was going to do in-division matchups, like the NFL does often with TNF, but most of the colors ended up being too similar.)

-I'm going to be posting them going from east to west, alphabetically.

Anyway, let's get into the first matchup, the Braves and Red Sox!

Atlanta Braves

Atlanta Braves.png

-I chose navy for the Braves Color Rush, but emphasized the red and yellow on the actual jersey as opposed to having white. The wordmark and numbers are outlined in yellow, and the coloring of the piping has been changed to accommodate.

-The hat is navy with a red front panel,with a navy 'A' and tomahawk in a yellow outline.

Boston Red Sox

Boston Red Sox.png

-The Sox have one of the simpler designs for now, I just took the red alternate jersey and added red pants.

So a pretty simple navy vs. red matchup to start off, but I'd love to hear what you all think!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ahowe6464 said:

These are fine. A bit unorthodox for baseball but why not, right? I'd give both teams sleeve patches. Also, although this may not always look great, have the teams go all-out for color rush by giving them same-color caps.

"Why not" was pretty much my sentiment in making these, haha. For a sleeve patch, I'd be open to suggestions, as both jerseys that I based these off of currently don't have one.

1 hour ago, Paul Lucas said:

This should be fun, I agree with @ahowe6464...if you're gonna do it, go all out. Red caps for the Sox and blue for the Braves...with opposite-colored bills.

I understand the reasoning for matching the cap, but having the foresight as to what some future teams would look like doing that, I'd advise against it.. Besides, it's actually interesting to note that *most* NFL Color Rush uniforms don't have a matching helmet either.

I might change the Red Sox cap though anyway, just to differ from a regular uniform. I'm open to any suggestions for that!

Here are the two matchups for today, the Battle of the Beltway and the two Florida teams!

First off is Baltimore and Washington, which are orange and navy, respectively.

Baltimore Orioles

Baltimore Orioles.png

-Baltimore actually ended up being the only orange team in MLB, and I used their regular orange jersey but with a striping similar to the design of the Maryland flag, inspired by @Victormrey and a few other Orioles designs on here.

-The cap and socks are regular for now, but I'm trying to find a way to make them unique for Color Rush.

Washington Nationals

Washington Nationals.png

-I went with navy for the Nats, since orange and red would look too close to each other.

-For now I have their regular pinwheel cap paired with the regular navy jersey, since red lettering was too hard to read.

-The socks are white to balance with the cap, with the regular thirteen stripes included.

And now, here's one of the loudest of all the Color Rush matchups, the Marlins and Rays!

Miami Marlins

Miami Marlins.png

-Before I say anything about the uniform, it's somewhat a coincidence that José Fernández had the teal jersey, but I probably would've switched it anyway, as a tribute to him. Such a tragic and sudden loss of a guy who exemplified love and passion for the game. He will be missed.

-I decided to do teal for the Marlins, since it ties in their overall history of the team. I changed the primary color of the wordmark to orange, with black and white outlines. The cap, belt, and socks are orange. It creates a Dolphins-like look.

Tampa Bay Rays

Tampa Bay Rays.png

-Yellow obviously might be pretty unorthodox, but light blue would've been way too close to teal. Besides, this matchup fits the vibrant, sunny Florida vibe I was going for.

-This uniform also in turn embraces the "ray of light" aspect of the Rays identity, inspired by @davidrpaige.

-It's basically the home uniform in yellow, and the navy hat but with a yellow 'TB.' 

-Socks and belt are navy, with yellow replacing white in the socks.

Let me know what you all think!

Finishing up the East with these two matchups today!

Starting off with the Subway Series.

New York Mets

New York Mets.png

-This matchup might be a little too similar, so I might have to change the Mets to orange. For now, it's just blue pants that match their alternate jersey, and a cap with a white outline around the orange NY.

New York Yankees

New York Yankees .png

-I went with the reverse pinstripes, as @coco1997 suggested. I think it looks great.

Now here's a rematch of the famous 1993 World Series.

Philadelphia Phillies

Philadelphia Phillies.png

-Pretty simple, I made the road uniform light blue in order to emulate the 70s powder blues.

Toronto Blue Jays

Toronto Blue Jays.png

-This is probably the most interesting set of the day. It would've been easy to have the Jays be royal blue and just wear their alternate, but since they unveiled this set I've always been curious about how navy would look.

-The blue jay on the cap is navy on the top and bottom, just to be different. The jay on the jersey is royal for both.

Comments/criticisms welcome!

Great updates! The reverse pinstripes on the Yankees really do look great, don't they? ;)

The only one I'm not sure about is the Blue Jays. I think what you need to do is use the same style of split lettering for the player names as the "TORONTO" wordmark because right now "Donaldson" is getting lost on the back of the jersey. 

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

New York Yankees

New York Yankees .png

-I went with the reverse pinstripes, as @coco1997 suggested. I think it looks great.

Supposedly (I believe according to Marty Appel, former Yankees PR director), the Yankees were considering going with a uniform exactly like this as a road uniform in the early 70's. He walked into a room, saw the prototype, basically said "what the hell is that?" and scuttled any plans the Yanks had to wear reverse pinstripes.

While I'm very, very glad that it never actually happened in reality (can you imagine the Yankees of all teams, who have never even worn a full-time alternate, going this radical on their primary road uniform?!), I have to admit I'm super curious as to what it would look like in reality. The mockup actually looks pretty good! (In a vacuum - I and most other Yankee fans would probably have a stroke if these ever hit the field in reality.) It would be interesting to see, at the very least.

6 hours ago, kroywen said:

Supposedly (I believe according to Marty Appel, former Yankees PR director), the Yankees were considering going with a uniform exactly like this as a road uniform in the early 70's. He walked into a room, saw the prototype, basically said "what the hell is that?" and scuttled any plans the Yanks had to wear reverse pinstripes.

While I'm very, very glad that it never actually happened in reality (can you imagine the Yankees of all teams, who have never even worn a full-time alternate, going this radical on their primary road uniform?!), I have to admit I'm super curious as to what it would look like in reality. The mockup actually looks pretty good! (In a vacuum - I and most other Yankee fans would probably have a stroke if these ever hit the field in reality.) It would be interesting to see, at the very least.

Thanks! That might be good reasoning to make this the Color Rush too, almost as a "what if" situation just for one time. That's really interesting though.

Anyone else?

12 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Is the orange better? No, just different. It would be a greater contrast to the Yankees' navy, but the Mets look better in blue.

Any chance you're going to address that issue I raised with the Toronto set?

I'll try to address it at the end just because of time issues.

I have to post four matchups today, since I won't have any access to Internet tomorrow.

Kicking off the Central with a matchup in the Windy City!

Chicago Cubs

Chicago Cubs.png

-Pretty simple, just the blue alternate with pants to match.

Chicago White Sox

Chicago White Sox.png

-It wouldn't really make sense for the White Sox to have a Color Rush other than white.. So I had fun going with the white-out look. 

The next matchup is between the Reds and Tigers, two of the most storied franchises in baseball history!

Cininnati Reds

Cincinnati Reds.png

-Like the White Sox, it doesn't really make much sense to go with a color other than red. To balance out with the white wordmark though, I added a white cap and white socks with red stripes.

Detroit Tigers

Detroit Tigers.png

-I wanted to do orange, since it would fit the namesake better than anything else, but orange was too close to red. Instead I went with navy and added pants to match.

The next matchup should be coming up soon.. Let me know what you think!

Archived