New professional American football league in Mexico -(LFA).

Luke_Groundrunner

The Liga de Fútbol Americano Profesional (LFA) was launched one year ago.

Liga de Fútbol Americano Profesional - LFA -.png

via Wikipedia

Beginnings

The LFA was founded in 2016 with the support of the Mexican Federation of American Football (FMFA).[3] It was filed on January 12, 2016 by Head of Government of Mexico City Miguel Ángel Mancera in the east courtyard of the Old City Hall, with Alfredo Castillo, director general of the CONADE and Horacio de la Vega Flores, director of the capital's Institute of Sport.[4]

The first game was played February 21, and the championship game, called the Tazón México (Mexico Bowl), was on April 10.[5] All matches were played at the Estadio Jesús "Palillo" Martínez of Magdalena Mixhuca Sports City.[6]

Present

On September 28, 2016 the LFA announced two new teams, the Fundidores and the Dinos, which will participate in the 2017 season. The Fundidores will play at the Estadio Nuevo León Unido with Dinos' home ground the Estadio Olímpico Francisco I. Madero.

The six current teams.

Condors

CONDORS.jpg

Dinos

DINOS.jpg

Eagles

EAGLES.jpg

Fundidores

FUNDIDORES.jpg

Mayas

MAYAS.jpg

Raptors                   

RAPTORS.jpgQ13yF45y.png

Images of the uniforms for the original four teams. (No images yet for the two new teams)

liga-futbol-americano-mexico.jpg

20151211161426.jpg

Cascos-Liga-Futbol-Americano-Profesional_MILIMA20151211_0353_3.jpg

Cascos-Liga-Futbol-Americano-Profesional_MILIMA20151211_0352_3.jpg

equipos.jpg

Uniforms are a bit too generic for me.

College football is a thing in Mexico. In fact, to my knowledge, there have been a couple of games that have been played vs. NCAA teams in the past few years:

Incarnate Word's first ever football game in 2009 was against Monterey Tech (UIW won 42-29)

San Diego played Universidad De Las Americas Puebla this year and won 49-25.

I'm surprised pro football took so long to become a thing in Mexico.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

I find it a little odd that the branding for these teams is in English. Sure there's been a recent spike in the number of Mexicans who can speak it, but I'd guessed they do more to appeal to their own market. 

I'm also very skeptical about the success of this startup league. They seem to be doing well at the college level but I'm not there's enough interest there to warrant a pro league. This will be very interesting to follow. 

Midway.png

If they are looking to expand I know a stadium in San Diego they might want to explore.  

By the by, in case you were wondering   CDMX = Ciudad de México, the new abbreviation for Mexico City (instead of DF--distrito federal) 

and EDOMEX is Estado de México, the state which surrounds CDMX much like Maryland surrounds DC.  Toluca is probably where they play.

Would like to see more teams outside of the Mexico City region. Monterrey has a huge football playing/watching population due in  part to the universities there. 

Archived