A number anomoly

robbman21

Nomar is wearing his traditional #5 tonight after having a one-game wonder of wearing #8 on Sunday.He had to get the number from catcher Michael Barrett,

and in turn he took #8.This brings up other "one-game-wonder-numbers" for us to ponder.I know of the game in which Jordan wore 12,and Rasheed Wallace wearing that great basketball number of 36 in his one game with the Hawks,and also Ken Griffey Jr wearing 42 the night of Jackie Robinson's 50th anniversary.But with the exception of all-star games,what are some other of these rarities?

98Falcons.png

Didnt Rickey Henderson offer allot of money to get number 24 with the Jays in 1993?

Yeah, but I forgot from who (i think he wore another number at first too)... I remember the oldies station here playing the classic song "Ricky Don't Lose That Number" in honour of it.

Roger Clemens did the same with Carlos Delgado in 1997 (yes carlos used to wear #21... and #6 actually)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I'm not sure, but I don't think Jr. Griffey was the only one to wear 42 on the night Jackie Robinson's number was retired...Does anyone else know who the others were?

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Randy Moss briefly wore #18 to start his career, but only in the preseason. He had switched to 84 by the time the regular season started.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

And I just recalled former Minnesota North Star Brian Lawton. He was drafted early (possibly #1 overall) in about 1987 or so. He came in wearing #98 because he thought he was gonna be almost as good as Gretzky. I don't remember how long he did that for, but he eventually switched to #8 after it was evident that he was not all that.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I thought of another. Vinny Lecavalier wore 8 his first year, since his customary 4 was in use by Cory Cross. Cross was traded during the off-season, and Vinny had his 4 the next season.

Dmitri Mironov wore #51 for his first game as a Red Wing before he got #15 from Tomas Holmstrom, who has since worn #96.

Wendel Clark wore #71 instead of his usual #17 for the few months he was with the Wings.

Brett Hull wore #80 during exhibitions in 2003, instead of his assigned #17 or usual #16.

I'm not sure, but I don't think Jr. Griffey was the only one to wear 42 on the night Jackie Robinson's number was retired...Does anyone else know who the others were?

I think the only 2 active players at that time wearing #42 were Mo Vaughn of the Red Sox and Butch Huskey of the Mets. I didn't remember them mentioning Mariano Rivera, who has also worn #42 for the Yankees.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I remember Allen Iverson wearing #6 in honor of Dr. J when the ASG was in Phily a few years ago.

Bart Starr wore #42 early in his career, but I'm not sure for how many (if any ) games.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Archived