2017/18 Premier League Kits (Watford, Burnley, Swansea, Palace)

mattb6

lq4WplX.png

The 2017/18 Premier League season begins this weekend, and it looks to be as competitive as ever with TV money flying left and right during the transfer window. I decided to undertake the task of designing every team's kits for the upcoming season, and will be post a few a day, in reverse order of last season's standings. I hope you enjoy!

Promoted (via playoff): Huddersfield Town

Promoted (2nd in EFL Champ.): Brighton & Hove Albion

Promoted (1st in EFL champ.): Newcastle United

17. Watford

16. Burnley

15. Swansea City

14. Crystal Palace

spacer.png

Huddersfield Town: Promoted via EFL Championship playoff in 2016/17.

VLQPT9q.png

Everyone's choice to go directly back down this season is Huddersfield. The home kit is a homage to the team's look of the 1920s, when they won the First Division of three occasions, and the FA Cup once. It's a clean look compared to what they will be wearing this season. The change kit is a more modern look, with bright red piping on a black base. The third kit is a classy, understated yellow looked, paired with white socks.

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2nd in EFL Championship in 2016/17

hh6Qki1.png

One of four teams to rep the swoosh this season, the Seagulls gets their traditional blue and white stripes, with navy accents throughout. The change kit is inspired by the iconic 1983 look which was worn to the FA Cup final. The third kit is a completely navy affair, with sublimated seagulls on the front, and royal blue piping throughout.

Newcastle United: 1st in EFL Championship in 2016/17

CtY8MO7.png

Newcastle is right back up after being relegated in 2015/16 and look to be here to stay with Rafa Benitez leading the way. The Magpies are also celebrating 125 years, so I went with classic looks for the three kits. The home kit is the iconic white and black stripes, with a classy collar and gold applications. It most closely resembles the 1920-1929 kit, the first for the Toons that included black and white stripes, and black shorts. The primary change kit is yellow and blue, a popular change color for the club. A chevron is across the front, paying homage to the change kits from 1914 to 1930. I went a little more recent with the third, which is a throwback to the 1997 away kit. I updated the colors to work better together, and I think it came out much better than the effort from '97. The old NUFC logo is on the back of each kit.

Tomorrow I'll be back with a few mid-table sides from last season, enjoy the three promoted clubs and let me know what you think!

spacer.png

I'm back with teams 17-14 of last season.

17. Watford

k5oaSyo.png

Watford's switched over to adidas after Dryworld more or less went extinct. Adidas' teamwear effort was nothing to call home about, and I've tried to create a classic look for the Hornets' first season with the three stripes. The collar is red with a black center stripe, and I paired it with red shorts and socks, with the adidas stripes making a black/yellow pattern. The change is all black and dark grey with an Ajax-style look, with yellow details to really pop. The third is the old Waford colors from 1927-1959 making a very simple look.

16. Burnley

N8lHVZL.png

Burnley's new home kit is kind of abysmal in my opinion, so I went with a classic look. The change kit is a change of pace for the club, with a dark burgundy and dark navy hooped look that I was very fond of. The third kit is all white, with double blue striping throughout. Yeah, I know Andre Gray transferred to Watford today. 

15. Swansea City

OzGYnkk.png

I personally hate mostly everything about Swansea's bland brand, and I also hate Joma kit designs. I tried to spice it up a bit by adding black shoulders and subliminal stripes to the main kit. The change kit is all black, with white/black striping on the cuffs and collar. The third kit is a slightly ammended version of the home, but it brings back the orange worn by the club for about a decade in the 60s.

14. Crystal Palace

Oy3amOo.png

Taking my award for worst sponsors in the league would have to be Crystal Palace, which is a shame because I love the red and blue stripes. I went with a very classic look, with the stripes switching colors on the front and the back, like the Nike Juventus kit from a few years back. The change kit is a throwback to the club's claret and blue days, while using the current red, however. The center stripe was worn on the Eagles' home kit from 1959 until 1963. The change kit is a modern yellow look with blue accents. 

I'll be back with five more teams tomorrow, let me know what you think about today's crop!

spacer.png

You're making a great work. Huddersfield is way better than the current one. I'm not sure why, but I miss some blue in Newcastle home jersey. I think it would work better than gold. I get used to that blue. And man... That Swansea away... Please send 2 for me, I WANT TO WEAR IT SO BADLY.

All of these look great! In the past 6 months or so I have been getting into soccer more and more, but there is one thing i dont understand. Why do some jerseys leave the color pallet of the crest? For example, Swanseas 3rd is orange when its crest colors are greyscale. Another thing that throws me for a loop, why is Watford nickname the Hornets, then there is a moose on the crest?

20 hours ago, EJaws said:

All of these look great! In the past 6 months or so I have been getting into soccer more and more, but there is one thing i dont understand. Why do some jerseys leave the color pallet of the crest? For example, Swanseas 3rd is orange when its crest colors are greyscale. Another thing that throws me for a loop, why is Watford nickname the Hornets, then there is a moose on the crest?

Change/third kits tend to be based on historical kits and/or local features, and many times in the past teams had colors on change kits that didn't match the primary. For example, Swansea had orange detailing for a period of time in the 60s, so I used that as a homage for the third shirt. I believe the moose comes from a local symbol for Watford, but I'm not quite sure without looking it up.

13. Stoke City

gblcULq.png

I went with a modern design for the home stripes, with blue trim aplenty to distinguish Stoke from other red/white teams in England. The change kit returns to powder blue, but this time on a black base with sleeve hoops. I was a fan of how the sleeves looked, so I went with the same template for the third, which would be worn against a team like Bournemouth.

12. Leicester City

M54s8pU.png

The former champions of England get a star above the player name. I went with a diamond/checkerboard pattern on the home and I think it fits them great. The change kit is a salmon look, and the third is black with a blue design on the front, that is mimicked on the shorts.

11. West Ham United

Bv6x2TS.png

The home includes a chevron design that throws back to the late 1970s. The change kit is inspired by the seating at the new Olympic Stadium, which I thought was a cool design. The third kit is an all black look because I really like the way their blue pops on black.

Sorry for the delay in posting, and I hope to be back tomorrow with a few more!

spacer.png

Archived