Alignment history question

smzimbabwe

For Seaside Heights, just going by the junk prizes that they give away at the amusement park there, they’re pretty evenly split between Yankees crap and Phillies crap (with only a small amount of Mets crap).

That being said, younger people from philly area (meaning PA side, not necessarily jersey residents) that go in on shore houses for the summer tend to only do southern points like Sea Isle, Avalon, Stone Harbor, etc. Theres probably more NY “frat style” houses in Seaside, but lots of “jersey Philly” houses too, and obviously families. Toms River is near by and is considered philly, at least based on how the news is covered. 

For LBI, I’m just going by my few times going up there when I was seeing a girl that had a house there, the few sports bars always had Phillies on, and I’ve met a ton of people in my area that have houses there. I guess there could be more NY, I don’t know, I just haven’t seen it. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived in Asbury Park (well, Neptune, but who's counting) and I'd definitely say it's more NY. There were more than a significant amount of commuters that lived in the area and took the North Jersey Coast Line to NYC every day for work. The Coast Line extended as far south as Bay Head/Point Pleasant, so I'd say that influence starts to fade much further south than that - Toms River and Seaside Heights are kinda borderlands, but I'd lean toward Philly for them. LBI/Egg Harbor/AC always seemed more Philly. Anything north of I-195 was definitely NY, anything south of Fort Dix, Philly. 

There's another unrelated historical boundary that seems to fit here, too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_line

250px-Wpdms_east_west_new_jersey.png

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

From a media standpoint maybe, but I think ocean is more Phila - the phils put one of their minor league teams there. Also when Toms River won the LLWS they were covered like a local team, and I think mike trout is from there and likes the eagles , so case closed. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

From a media standpoint maybe, but I think ocean is more Phila - the phils put one of their minor league teams there. Also when Toms River won the LLWS they were covered like a local team, and I think mike trout is from there and likes the eagles , so case closed. 

Ocean County is definitely mixed but I agree with you, it's more Philly now (at least in my anecdotal evidence). My wife and I go to Island Beach State Park (the beach made famous by Chris Christie) annually. That is just down the road from Seaside Heights and I see a mixed bag there, too. There has definitely been a shift over the years from NY to Philly.

29 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Ocean County is definitely mixed but I agree with you, it's more Philly now (at least in my anecdotal evidence). My wife and I go to Island Beach State Park (the beach made famous by Chris Christie) annually. That is just down the road from Seaside Heights and I see a mixed bag there, too. There has definitely been a shift over the years from NY to Philly.

What makes it even tougher is that when we say "philly" and "new york", when it comes to Ocean county and a few other spots, we're really talking "jersey philly" and "jersey new york", as opposed to true philly or new york residents.  Like I said, a significant portion of my "evidence" is based on what caps I see people wearing and what prizes are given out at the boardwalk amusement parks.

On 1/15/2018 at 7:48 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

this is why relying on antiquated state lines just doesn't work, and even referring to "states" when doing exercises like this doesn't work.  NYC and most of the rest of NY, especially Buffalo, are so different it's hard to lump Buffalo into any category that NYC qualifies for, and vice versa.  Mostly same with Phila and the rest of the state.  I'd say outside of the Delaware/Lehigh valleys, the rest of the state shares more in common with Pittsburgh than Phila (hence why from a geographic standpoint, most of the state is Pirates / Steelers fans.)  I don't know if I'd call Pittsburgh "midwest" like I"ve heard here.  At one time I thought that, then I experienced the midwest and it's definitely not like that.  I think rust belt / great lakes is fair, but mid-atlantic is a huge stretch, and northeast doesn't work at all.

USA Today officially considers Pittsburgh "midwest", at least in the article about Amazon2 that came out yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2018 at 4:21 PM, sc49erfan15 said:

Yeah, I think we're already at an urban/rural divide moreso than "heading toward" one.

The I-5 corridor, compared to eastern Washington/Oregon/inland California is one of the most drastic examples of this. Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh and Western PA. Georgia minus Atlanta might as well be East Alabama.

I live on the very northwest edge of metro Atlanta. Go five miles south or east of my house, it's definitely Atlanta. Go five miles north or west of my house, I'm looking for Andy and Barney!! 

As far as the kudzu map goes, it's rather accurate. I would include more West Virginia, southern Indiana and Ohio.

On 1/13/2018 at 9:28 PM, Mitch B said:

I understand the motivations, but can you imagine if the Orioles and Nationals were in the same division and playing meaningful games against each other in the late season?  How about an NFL division with Washington, Baltimore and Philly?  It would be fierce like the derbies in European football.

Nah.  Think more like Knicks-Nets, Wizards-Sixers, Celtics-Nets, etc.  The only long-term result would be reduced travel costs, which are negligible when you're talking about billion dollar enterprises.

On 1/14/2018 at 4:08 PM, the admiral said:

Northern Virginia isn't too surprising, but now Raleigh seems to think of itself as the new end of what was the Boston-Washington corridor.

On 1/14/2018 at 9:57 PM, sc49erfan15 said:

If we're talking cores and peripheries, I think Raleigh is definitely more closely connected with D.C. than Atlanta. I have no particular data to back this up, but it just feels that way.

We do?  Some time in April I'll have spent half my life here, and I've never heard it perceived anything related to BosWash.  If we're closely connected with any other city it might be Richmond... Atlanta'd be next on that list, maybe.  Raleigh considers itself pretty much on a stand-alone basis; the smarter, more socially progressive older brother of Charlotte.

On 1/15/2018 at 7:09 PM, DiePerske said:

PA is mid-Atlantic for sure, taken as a whole state. NY is, but it also fully northeastern.

I lived in Pennsylvania for 12 years.  Except for Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, the entire state is Alabama north.  Bugtussle.  Full of people who spend too much time studying the topography of their navels.

nav-logo.png

Archived