The 1972 Project: The Finale: Oregon Ducks

colinturner95

Kudos for your ambition and direction on this project so far. As a Sparty fan, I'm digging the use of the Atzec pattern. They need to utilize that more.

XcryMwi.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I couldn't find a way to make the pattern on the Michigan State alternate uniforms any more subtle, and I decided to move on from them. 

nd8QKIP.png

I knew that at least one team would be getting new uniforms during this project. I beat Virginia's official release, but couldn't beat VT's release of new football uniforms. I'm also going to ignore the new uniforms they released. I think that they are a downgrade from the previous set and while they are cool looking and unique, I personally don't like them. When VT went back to the UCLA stripes a few years ago, I was a big fan. Then they tried to get too wild. Hokie feet helmets, Navy knockoffs, Hokie Stone uniforms. West Virginia catalog unis. BFBS uniforms. It all ends now. No more black, no more grey. 

fp7947J.png Z9Gh6hq.png

MdigtK4.png DbfO2SP.png

As I mentioned above, I liked the UCLA style stripes the football team had worn for a while now but wanted to make the uniforms feel more unique to VT.  I used the helmet stripes from before the stripes went full Denver Broncos as a base and used that as the base design for the uniforms. 

Football - VT's football uniforms have gone up and down over the years. Between piping and stripes and patterns and BFBS/GFGS, it's a mess. This serves to clean up the look as well as unify it. The helmets remain largely similar to what they have now, except the old striping returns to the helmet. The jerseys also don't change a whole lot. The shoulder striping has a chunk taken out of the corner like on the helmet stripes. Also the logos on the sleeves are colored opposite the numbers as a throwback to the Michael Vick era. The Hokie Stone does survive on the uniforms, however it's just limited to the numbers. Pants have a short stripe based on the helmet stripe. 

Hockey - For the hockey jerseys, I went the Golden Seals route with the stripes on the shoulders. I also added smaller striping around the bottom of the sleeves and the hem. For the pants, the same striping as the football uniform pants. Socks have the same striping. Pretty simple. 

Baseball - Baseball was probably the most unique. Hats and helmets are pretty simple and straight forward. The jerseys are a little unique for baseball. I did some stripes on the shoulders, but because there isn't a whole lot of real estate on the shoulders, I also did stripes on the sleeves and those have the corners taken out. HOKIES on the front of the home and away and VT on the orange alternate. the pants also have the shortened stripes. The fourth jersey I found on line as one they've worn in the past and I thought it was too cool to get rid of. The wordmark is based off of the St. Louis Cardinals but with the hokie logos. 

Basketball - Finally, the basketball uniforms keep a lot of the same conventions. Thick collar striping on all the jerseys, with shortened striping on the sleeves, a lot like the Knicks uniforms of old. I also added a truncated stripe on the jerseys that lines up with the shorts. Shorts have striping around the hems on the legs and the logo on the side.

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Awesome project so far!

• Old Dominion is the freshest identity so far with the stripe pattern you created for them
  • The wallpaper type images you've made for each team are really cool looking as well
  • As a coug fan I love the hockey uniforms design you made for WSU; would look really sweet if they ever got a hockey team

Can't wait to see more!

Sun%2BBowl_sig.png

• 2 weeks later...

You guys ever have one of those weeks/months where you go to work and you come home and you just don't have the energy to do anything? That's how May has been for me. I apologize for my laziness and hopefully this extended break won't continue on: 

8VzaoUi.png

Before I jump into the next team, I had an update to post for VT. I changed the font on the second alternate so it doesn't blend in so much. Not much else to say there. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

ANemeBM.png

The Sun Devils were a unique challenge that I didn't anticipate. While I had a design in mind, I didn't realize that there would be cases where a design could fit each team yet each team could have a chance to be unique in and of its self and still fit the design of the greater whole. So this is the first case of that, and I can bet on there being more as we move on. I was a big fan of the Nike remodel of the Sun Devils, though the near elimination of sparky was a bit of a letdown. I do also want to say that I think Adidas hasn't totally killed ASU and even think the decision to move the pitchfork to the sleeves for the football uniforms. 

NQAp6UB.png PjqsNPS.png 

gqLBqhL.jpgBeRSGkn.png

Football - As I said above, I liked what Adidas did in moving the fork to the sleeves rather than the shoulders. I kept that and a lot of everything else the same. When I started ASU, I said there would be no black. I lied to myself. I ended up going back and adding a black alternate with a gradient in the pitchfork design. I rationaled it with the idea that UofA doesn't have a monopoly on the "sunset design" so that's how used it. Also because of Sparky fever, every team is getting a Sparky based throwback/fauxback or just Sparky uniform. On all the football uniforms at the base of the collar is PT 42 in honor of Pat Tillman. 

Hockey - IIRC, there are a couple of club hockey players from ASU on these boards, both of which I believe I have played against. These hockey uniforms are the best example of the unique but still fits "problem" you can call it. The pitchfork as a stripe on a hockey jersey didn't work for me, but it makes a cameo on the shoulders which is sublimated on the home/away and gradiented on the black uni. I used a northwestern stripe for the hockey jerseys because during my research I found a club hockey uniform from the past that I at least thought that it had a NW stripe on it. I also kept the AZ state outline with the captains letters. Also there's a Sparky uniform that fits the fauxback motif

Baseball - The current wordmarks in the Tempe font didn't work for me on the baseball uniforms. So I went with a scripty DEVILS font they've been using for a couple years now and put the pitchforks on the sleeves and the pants. Black alternate uniform with the gradients. For the Sparky uni, I went yellow here. I think yellow works better for baseball than it did for the other three sports. 

Basketball - The pitchfork becomes more prominent on the uniforms here than in the past. The pitchfork design now comes down off the shoulders and around the armholes. Double collar striping. In this case, the Tempe font wordmarks worked here so they get used. Black alternate with the gradients fits right in. The Sparky uniform is a fauxback combining a bit of the new design here and the James Harden era uniforms, mostly in the chest wordmark. 

I know I was gone a while. Work has been hell, I've been busy in the personal life. I hope to not be gone so long again. Anyways, my apologies for tardinesss. C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Very well done! Love the hockey uniforms--especially the captaincy patch inside of the state. Reminds me of the old Cleveland Barons numbers.

Also, if you are taking requests, can you do Texas next?

"Hi, everybody!" - Dr. Nick Riviera

hLykCVo.png

0CCuMRY.png

vgiUIL2.png

Great Concept!

Probably more of a personal problem but I will comment on that nonetheless. 

Football

I think the maroon jerseys need a white outline around the gold numbers and letters as opposed to no outline or a black outline. I think a white outline makes the numbers pop against a dark background. For the life of me, I don't understand why ASU insists on putting a black outline on their gold numbers against a dark maroon background, it doesn't look good. The sleeves and pants look excellent! With that said, I think sparky needs to be the primary on the helmet when you have elements of the fork on the pants and the jerseys and then the full fork on the helmet makes for a fork overload, I think Sparky would provide a nice balance as the primary logo and a center helmet strip does wonders too with either logo on the helmet.

The problem I have with the fork on a gold or maroon background is that you get one color of the fork that gets washed out in the background reducing the effectiveness of the logo. If you or *my wish* is that the university could add white to the fork logo, it would mitigate that problem and also get rid of the excessive outline of the logo that will happen sometimes. What I mean exactly is, look at the fork logo in the black background on the back football helmet and on the black hockey jersey, there's an unnecessary gold outline on the logo. If you look at the title bar where you have "Go Go Devils" You have the Fork logo on a black background with no extra yellow outline. This makes the logo look much sharper and cleaner. Going back to my point about adding white to the fork logo, if you were to make the flame portions of the fork white, it would remove the need to have that excessive outline that's needed when putting the fork against a gold or maroon background.

The white uniform looks great and the black football uniform looks spectacular too! Love the use of the gradient, I think it makes for an extremely unique and eye-popping uniform, cool concept!

Baseball

I think the AS interlocking logo needs to be the primary for the ASU baseball uniform, the fork would be a good alt. Love the use of sparky on the gold uniform. Great concept, love the consistency of the brand with the fork elements on the sleeve, well done.

Hockey

Looks great, love it! Besides my personal gripe about the fork having the extra outline.

Basketball

Excellent as well!

Overall, Awesome!! love the use of the fork element throughout all of the uniforms, really creates a consistent image and brand. You do some great work!

On 5/23/2018 at 5:18 PM, FightingGoldenDevil said:

I adore those football uniforms. ASU for me is an A+ in everything but baseball. You should have the AS logo on all the hats and just have the pitchfork on the black hat. 

ZNunnGG.png

I'll split the difference with you. I made the AS hat the primary hat above the home jersey but kept the pitchfork hat. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I'll give you guys a heads up here but we are now on PAC-12 team 2/3 in a row. Just thought I'd give you guys a warning. 

X4n2T0V.png

D462s6B.png  O69K9zG.png

PQR2WEx.png  FuATbrU.png

First off, just wanna say that UA blew me away with how well they did Cal. The whole package was done so perfectly that it completely blew everything Nike had done in the past. So with that being said, most of these looks remain intact from the UA-back-to-Nike jump. 

Football - The new look remains largely the same. Matte helmets across the board. Home navy and road white's have the Cal script logo and the yellow helmet has the super cool C Bear logo on the side. The jerseys have the Sather Stripe on the sleeves, and the yellow jersey has navy sleeve caps with the stripe. Pants are simple and all have the Sather Stripe. Also I kept the Joe Roth throwbacks because those are super cool as well. 

Hockey - The hockey Bears get uniforms to match the rest of the school. Pretty simple across the board. Sather Stripe across the sleeves and hem. The incomplete hem stripe is from a concept I had started that ultimately never saw the boards but I liked the look so I decided to use it here. The yellow alt has the C Bear on the front instead of the Cal script. 

Baseball -  Baseball fits the mold as well. Sather stripe on the sleeves and around the collar. Used the full bodied California script for the road uniform and the Golden Bears script for the home and alt. Sather Stripe down the pant leg. Nothing too fancy here. C Bear logo hat/helmets are the primary, Cal script is the alt. 

Basketball - With the return to Nike means a return to the Jordan Brand for Cal, which translates to a different manufacturer logo and not a whole lot else. Sather Stripe around the neck and sleeves and the hem and toward the bottom of the shorts. Golden Bears on the home/alt and California on the road. Not much else to say about these.

C&C welcome! and don't forget if you want to see all possible football combos, teams 1-12 are up on the website now: https://colinturner95.wixsite.com/1972project

AmPJ0Ty.png 

2 minutes ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Although the PAC 8 final match up was pretty damn gorgeous this year (D2 Club hockey). I’m thinking your ASU blacks vs Cal Yellows would have matched it or even been better!

I was going to mention it in the post but I ended up not, but Boise State Club Hockey is joining the Pac 8 this year along with SJSU, SDSU, Eastern Wash and Western Wash. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

6 minutes ago, bkknight95 said:

I was going to mention it in the post but I ended up not, but Boise State Club Hockey is joining the Pac 8 this year along with SJSU, SDSU, Eastern Wash and Western Wash. 

Maybe we won’t win a third straight time while actually playing in the league now... what a shame haha! Too bad I’m not playing next year, that game in Utah was fun, knowing the San Jose guy on your team and the fact you guys were all class and not arrogant or jerks really made the D2 game feel like a D2 game should feel. (Not like game 7 of the Stanley Cup)

On 6/4/2018 at 9:08 PM, rsaline said:

I think baseball would look better if you took the bear off of the cap. Also, I don't think Cal needs another non-revenue sport, but the hockey sweaters look nice.

SdLXSc4.png

Took the bear off the C hats. In regards to the hockey, I'm just doing this as if every FBS team had a D1 football, baseball, hockey and basketball team when in reality most teams have D2 hockey team at best. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies for the lack of posts in recent days. I'm setting into a new job and haven't had the time to get these designs fully done. Hopefully I can get through these teams faster. 

KWvCWqo.png

Utah has had a good partnership with Under Armour IMO. Though football uniforms have taken a down turn as of recent days. To be honest, while it was a unique to them design I was not a fan of the mountain pattern used up until recently and I was more a fan of the football throwbacks that were used a couple years back and I ran with that as the basis for the whole thing. I also kept things relatively simple because Utah sports uniforms for the most part have always had a more simple feel to them . 

4PlMByB.png bFx0X3p.png

XBEEr0s.png aKW6L8M.png

Football - So this is what I think the Utes SHOULD have done before they went on their sleeve cap, weird pant stripe color blocking crusade. first off, all the helmets get stripes. To me it felt half assed when the white and black helmets had stripes but the red ones didn't. Feathered-U logo is on both sides on all 3 helmets. Interlocking U on the front bumper, UTES on the back bumper. For the jerseys, stripes across the sleeves with the U centered on them. UTAH lettering on the front of them all. Pants have the same stripes. Black socks and shoes for all the uniforms. Whenever I tuned in to watch them play they always seemed to be in black shoes and socks. 

Hockey - If there is going to be another D1 hockey program in the west, I have Utah creeping up my shortlist. They recently made the jump to ACHA D1 and a D1 team doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility, anyways, the design is very similar to the football uniforms with the stripes with the U on top of them. I opted for shoulder numbers because of the U on the sleeves and because I don't think that they are or should be taboo on hockey jerseys. Pants and socks carry the stripe as well. 

Baseball - Baseball stays on brand and is quite simple as well. Due to the size of the stripes the U on top of them didn't work out as well, so the stripes continue as planned. UTES on the home, UTAH on the road and scripty UTES on the alt. Please note that just because a hat is over a particular uniform, that that hat is confined to that uniform. Pants and socks are striped to match. 

Basketball - Finally as we arrive to the court, the home and road uniforms carry the stripe in a traditional basketball manner and almost give off a Bulls kinda vibe. However the alternate was a little bit different. I opted for a chest stripe to be a little more unique and just to try something new. 

C&C welcome as always and these long layoffs hopefully won't continue! 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived