What sports would you remove from the Olympics?

Retromaniac

I don't quite see why marksmanship has bad connotations. Just because someone is a very accurate shooter doesn't mean that they are more likely to try to shoot someone. That's like saying that a Judo champion automatically is related to a bully.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I wouldn't touch the winter games right now.

I would take tennis out of the summer games, I don't think the players care enough really, when you see the effort Federer or henman or the Williams' make.

I'd keep basketball in, as its such a laugh watching the US lose!!! :D

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

SUMMER

Equestrian- Most of the work is that of the horse. What does the horse get? Nothing.

Marksmanship- Bad connotations and little athleticism.

WINTER

1. Equestrian: Agreed. Although, it's kinda like auto racing...

2. Any sport where an external judge determines who wins by judging the performance. Good-bye figure skating (artful ice skating). Adios diving (artful falling). You may be athletic, but they aren't sports. So long, gymnastics (artful tight-clothing-wearing and a whole bunch of random event doing). Where the heck did they get an idea of a pommel horse from anyway? Was some carpenter taking a break, and decide to start swinging around his sawhorse?

3. Synchronized anything (most of these fall under #2).

In the winter olys, the only sport involving marksmanship is biathlon as far as I know, and that's way too cool of a premise of a sport to be eliminated. Skiing and shooting. I know where it comes from, but it just seems so random these days. Like a combination of swimming and judo.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

SUMMER

Equestrian- Most of the work is that of the horse. What does the horse get? Nothing.

WINTER

1. Equestrian: Agreed. Although, it's kinda like auto racing...

2. Any sport where an external judge determines who wins by judging the performance. Good-bye figure skating (artful ice skating). Adios diving (artful falling). You may be athletic, but they aren't sports. So long, gymnastics (artful tight-clothing-wearing and a whole bunch of random event doing). Where the heck did they get an idea of a pommel horse from anyway? Was some carpenter taking a break, and decide to start swinging around his sawhorse?

3. Synchronized anything (most of these fall under #2).

In the winter olys, the only sport involving marksmanship is biathlon as far as I know, and that's way too cool of a premise of a sport to be eliminated. Skiing and shooting. I know where it comes from, but it just seems so random these days. Like a combination of swimming and judo.

Agreed on the anything that has a judge.

Also if a horse is going to be involved in the event and the horse does most of the work, give the medal to the horse. Also, instead of jumping over the hurdles have a horse race (ala the Kentuky Derby or Belmont Stakes)

1. Archery

2. Baseball

3. Equestrian

4. Rythmic Gymnastics

5. Sailing

6. Shooting

7. Softball

8. Synchronized Swimming

9. Trampoline

On top of that, I would change the modern pentathlon. Make it more like the ancient pentathlon; wrestling, discuss, javelin, long jump and a stadium-length race.

EDIT: I would not change a thing in the Winter Olympics.

My only problem with banning sports with judges who decide who wins is that largely they are looking for technical things. And then boxing is largely judged by judges, how many fights are ended before the end of the final round? answer- very very few.

I say put up with the judges- besides it gives us all something to moan about!!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

"I would add Women's Synchronized Pole Dancing."

Yeah, you and MXC's Kenny Blankenship!xxrotflmao.gif

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

I'd remove pretty much anything where professional athletes are allowed to compete.

Problem is well that counts out pretty much anything really nowadays. And if they did, then the olympics would just be a collection of the most hypocritical sports.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Rythmn Gymnastics has to go.

Equestrian should stay its a clasic sport among blue bloods how else coudl teh regal rich of Europe get a medal. ^_^

If anything lets add sports Golf, Football will be excellent additions.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The original reason for the "amateurs only" rule at the Olympics was that only amateurs would be able to afford to travel to a different country to compete. Back in the day, professional athletes made next to nothing.

"I will never forgive Maverick for killing Goose"

Oh, and I'd take out "Judo" and replace it with "Ninja".

By the way, a sport has to be played in something like 80 different countries (that is there must be an official national organization for the sport) on at least 4 continents to qualify for the Summer Olympic Games (as a men's event).

"I will never forgive Maverick for killing Goose"

Archived