Arizona Winter Classic Concept - "Final" 3d Jersey Renders

Midwest_surfer

37 minutes ago, Magnus said:

The venue could be a temporary rink set up at one of Arizona's ski resorts (where there's actually snow). Just spitballing.

Well you figured out what I was working on so I may as well just lay it out here and you guys can find the problems with it that I don’t see.

At first I thought about putting it in Chase Field in Phoenix. They’d have to shut the roof and absolutely blast the AC for like a week but it could be done. But then I had a better idea. The NHL put a preseason game in Vegas back in the 90s.

spacer.png

The ice was fine (aside from a bunch of locusts stuck in it but that’s another story). 20 years later, they can do it even better no problem.

The NHL needs to do something to up viewership of the Winter Classic so it would be in their best interest to invest more money into it. It’s getting stale and the ratings have been steadily dropping every year. A combo of the shine wearing off and the same teams every year are killing it slowly. Even Hawks fans are sick of seeing their team in the WC every year.

I decided to propose something completely different. Instead of using a stadium, build a temporary one like this at the fairgrounds in Flagstaff.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It’s a destination at that point and definitely cold enough to easily freeze the ice. Plus it becomes a little more interesting, instead of seeing the NHL play in a football stadium, you can see them play in the woods, bringing hockey back to its roots. Plus it would allow some pretty cool college matchups. UNLV vs NAU or even ASU if UNLV can make the jump to D1

Having a game within the Coconino National Forest would lean into the national parks thing, and it opens it up to some really cool surrounding events. I am thinking someone like Lord Huron sings the anthem and puts on a quick set between the first two periods, and then someone like Local Natives, Fleet Foxes or Paper Kites for the 2nd intermission.

If the KHL can put a game in the red square outside St Basil’s, the NHL can put one in the woods.

spacer.png

UNLV would not be playing NAU because UNLV is D1 club and NAU is D2 club. UNLV could definitely play their D1 club rivals ASU though, and NAU could certainly play their D2 ASU rivals. Hell, I’d even throw D2 GCU and D1 U of A in that mix and have a state/regional outdoor classic for both tiers of club hockey, giving college hockey even more attention in the west.

P.S. You knocked the jerseys out of the stadium. They are beautiful!

11 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

UNLV would not be playing NAU because UNLV is D1 club and NAU is D2 club. UNLV could definitely play their D1 club rivals ASU though, and NAU could certainly play their D2 ASU rivals. Hell, I’d even throw D2 GCU and D1 U of A in that mix and have a state/regional outdoor classic for both tiers of club hockey, giving college hockey even more attention in the west.

P.S. You knocked the jerseys out of the stadium. They are beautiful!

Yeah I thought UNLV was D2 but if they’re D1 then that’s perfect for ASU. I want NAU to have a game because their hockey program has a ton of history. I’d like to see jerseys like these on the ice again.

spacer.png

I bit the bullet and bought the hockey template from sportstemplates.net and made a 3d render of the jersey concepts. It doesn't have the capability to alter the appearance of the materials of whatever you are editing. I wanted the numbers and the crest on the front of the Vegas jersey to be embroidered, and the Arizona ones to be stitched felt like the Blues Winter Classic jersey from a few years ago. The template makes everything look screen printed which sucks, but I have to say it does make for some pretty cool renders.

P5BbFTa.jpg

cU81zCt.jpg

• 2 months later...

The first two picture of the temporary outdoor rinks are from a game in Sweden in 2012. The same structure was used for another outdoor game with other teams (see Villa Långbers Arena) that temporary stadium had a capacity of about 17,5k

13 minutes ago, GT Designs said:

The first two picture of the temporary outdoor rinks are from a game in Sweden in 2012. The same structure was used for another outdoor game with other teams (see Villa Långbers Arena) that temporary stadium had a capacity of about 17,5k

I really like the clear boards. It makes for fewer advertising opportunities but I don’t think that will be a huge deal.

The backdrop for that game was absolutely stunning.

1 hour ago, TheBigBuc said:

I love the idea, do one in Miami at Marlins Park (it'd got A/C and a retractable roof)

I saw a concept for a Tampa vs Florida Winter Classic at the Wide World of Sports in Disney World. I thought that would be a cool neutral space for the game

Archived