Arizona Winter Classic Concept - "Final" 3d Jersey Renders

Midwest_surfer

With Dallas and Nashville playing in the 2020 Winter Classic, I thought it was great that the NHL was allowing more "non-traditional" hockey markets Winter Classic games, so I started work on a Winter Classic logo for a game in Arizona.

2IyQpZ8.png

My 2022 Winter Classic logo is a simplified version of the National Park Service logo arrowhead which seemed appropriate considering where the game will be played. The background has been replaced with the sunbeams from the Arizona flag. The mountain has been replaced with Humphrey’s Peak, the highest point in Arizona, and the sequoia tree has been replaced with saguaro cacti in homage to the southwest. The “Winter” font is loosely based on the fonts used on National Parks signs, while the other text is based on signs found within national parks.

I did a few other color combinations as well but I really think the red sky looks the best.

GrbfcSt.png

For Arizona's jersey I decided to try something that hasn't been done before. I made a very simple crest but I moved it to the shoulder and helmet, allowing a very vintage collegiate look with the ARIZONA text on the chest with numbers. I also added the only good thing ever to come from the Buffalo "Buffaslug" days, and that is stitched numbers.

zffGcjC.jpg

For their opponent. I chose Vegas due to the developing rivalry in the desert. I had a problem with Vegas' logo though since it is so new, so I attempted a fauxback crest. I tried to make it look like their current logo could have evolved from this but if I am honest, I think it still needs some work.

l477zy5.jpg

Do you guys think I am on the right track here? C+C are always appreciated

A: where’s the nhl logo

B: where would they play

C : who is there opponent 

D : unis?

Despite that,  good work!

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

17 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

A: where’s the nhl logo

B: where would they play

C : who is there opponent 

D : unis?

Despite that,  good work!

A: Good point, forgot that part.

B: Working on that. I have what I think is a pretty good idea, but it's not ready yet.

C/D: currently exporting. give me 10 minutes. Edit: done

Thanks!

32 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

I really like all of this. The only thing that bothers me is the shield shape of the Vegas logo, it's reminds me of the Ducks logo. 

Yeah I thought that too and I tried it without the center spike thing but I thought that made it too similar to the current one.

For one this is a great concept. But one that will not happen in Arizona. The venues are way to warm to keep the ice going (I could see Chase field, or State Farm Stadium as they could crank the AC way down. But Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe would not be viable due to AZ's warm temps during the winter months.) And given the fickle nature of fans in the Phoenix area (most are transplants for cold weather cities like Detroit, Chicago, and many Canadian "snowbirds".

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

3 minutes ago, SFCOM1 said:

For one this is a great concept. But one that will not happen in Arizona. The venues are way to warm to keep the ice going (I could see Chase field, or State Farm Stadium as they could crank the AC way down. But Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe would not be viable due to AZ's warm temps during the winter months.) And given the fickle nature of fans in the Phoenix area (most are transplants for cold weather cities like Detroit, Chicago, and many Canadian "snowbirds".

Don’t worry, I have a plan for that that will not make the desert heat a factor. I’m still ironing out the details but I think it will work beautifully. The heat shouldn’t matter that much anyway though, if the Kings and Rangers could play an outdoor game in Vegas back in the 90’s, the NHL should be able to keep ice colder longer 20 years later.

1 minute ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

OK that fauxback Knights logo is better than the current logo. 

Thanks! I think the shield backing thing needs work because it really does look too much like the Ducks primary. I’m thinking about taking out the curve on the spike things, because it might differentiate it enough.

Updates:

I added the NHL logo to to the WC logo. I just used a PNG as opposed to creating it in case I want to move it later. 

TrFJMwz.jpg

I changed up the shield behind the Vegas logo. But that’s about it in the others.

400IfJf.jpg

zMRJ9HF.jpg

C+C are always appreciated. Especially criticism, I’m still pretty new at all this.

I have been thinking of how to add elements of the Kachina jersey to the Coyotes and I think I figured out a way.

HNQWrin.jpg

I think it fills it up and definitely adds something to what is admittedly a pretty bland logo. The bigger coyote silhouette fills it out nicely too. I tried to make the coyote into an A but just doesn't work here.

I also made some merch from a template since I am still learning how to work with smart objects in Photoshop. I'd love to know if anyone knows of a really good tutorial for editing smart objects.

iRDDZpf.jpg

ZtMYKzu.jpg

6 hours ago, Midwest_surfer said:

I have been thinking of how to add elements of the Kachina jersey to the Coyotes and I think I figured out a way.

HNQWrin.jpg

I think it fills it up and definitely adds something to what is admittedly a pretty bland logo. The bigger coyote silhouette fills it out nicely too. I tried to make the coyote into an A but just doesn't work here.

I also made some merch from a template since I am still learning how to work with smart objects in Photoshop. I'd love to know if anyone knows of a really good tutorial for editing smart objects.

iRDDZpf.jpg

ZtMYKzu.jpg

The Coyotes t shirt is class.

Love the jersey designs too, for both teams, nice faux-back quality to both of them. 

spacer.png

Archived