Redesigning US Quidditch (9/25: Silicon Valley Vipers)

ItDoesntMatter

2 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

Those logos are incredible for BosNY. But I love the sets. Crisp, clean. I'd wear one.

Thanks! The logos really are awesome. It's kind of hard to make a bad jersey with either of them on the front 😂

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Up next, we've got the first community team to ever win a national title, QC Boston:

LTS7wj5.png

QCB picked a very bold color scheme, and to their credit, they've stuck with it for six years now. They've even gotten bolder as the years have gone on, as volt is now their primary uniform color. With that in mind, I wanted to get just a little bit bolder, so I dropped white from their scheme and really amped up the volt in its place. I simplified a few things from their uniforms as well, with the only flair to stick around being the red stripes, which I changed up a bit to shout out the Citgo sign and the Zakim Bridge (both of which feature in Boston's logo). I also came up with some pretty cool shorts striping which kind of plays off of that. Not much else to add; the clash is just a color swap of the primary and there's only one pair of shorts and socks because I wasn't about to tempt them with the option of looking like human highlighters.

C&C appreciated as always!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (8/2: QC Boston)

I'm back, and I've got some Rochester Hailstorm jerseys to show y'all:

oczrUD4.png

So Hailstorm's jerseys are great as is, but they're not called Iceberg, so I wanted to go a different direction. Fortunately, their color scheme is more or less perfect for depicting a hailstorm; black clouds, (teal?) blue sky, white hail. One row is solid white while the rest is low opacity and subtly fades out about halfway down the shirt. The clash is black as a tongue-in-cheek callback to when they were the Blackout, and has a split stripe across the chest to subtly call out the current jersey design. Both designs have their logo, Cold Boi, and a number in the same orientation. The shorts echo the ones they wear now, and the socks are teal to round things out.

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (8/5: Rochester Hailstorm)

Next up are the Rogues:

1Nz0lIE.png

So the Rogues are the Warriors' B-team, but because of circumstances I don't entirely understand, are based in New York City, meaning they're in a different region from their parent team, which is weird. Anyway, I adhered to most of the B-team requirements (basically, no NOBs, not much flair, similar design to their A-team), but with a little bit more flair because it is a community team. Same basic chevron pattern as the Warriors, but a different design based heavily on their current uniforms, and with a little bit of Warriors blue injected in there as well. The clash jersey forgoes the full chevron because I didn't want them to get confused with the Warriors, so it's empty which makes a kind of ghost design. Plain black shorts and plain red socks with both jerseys.

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (8/7: Rogues)

Up next, we visit the Northwest Region for the first and only time this series. Here are Bellevue, Washington's own Rain City Raptors:

igBsmUI.png

I knew I wanted to do something with the rain in their logo, and it ended up on both jerseys. I kept it pretty simple on the primary jersey, with the stripes at low opacity and just a logo on the chest, but the clash is a little more wild, basically taking their logo out of the teardrop shape and sticking it on the front of the jersey. It echos their current jerseys with the rain and the raptor on the front. I didn't really find a place for the scale pattern, and I'm not sure I'm all that mad about it tbh. Black shorts and green socks round things out.

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (8/10: Rain City Raptors)

In honor of two of the most epic finishes to quidditch games I've ever seen at this weekend's Major League Quidditch Championship, here's Carnage Quidditch:

rjFyigw.png

I didn't change much from Carnage's current uniforms here. I did change the wordmark on the front to red to better balance out the colors, and I moved the sleeve number to the shorts. I also added the shorts striping and changed the font, but that's about it. The clash jersey I created isn't all that different either. I think I like the gray jersey better than the white one, but I can understand why a team from Orlando would want to have white as their primary option.

That's about it for this one. C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (8/11: Carnage Quidditch)

Next, we finish out the South Region with Terminus Quidditch Atlanta:

kIAPGaf.png

So not much has changed from Terminus's primary jerseys; all I did was change the color of the collar, remove the sleeve stripes, and change the font to match the "Terminus" in their logo. The clash is where things get exciting; rather than just a plain white jersey, I used stripes based on the cowcatcher in their logo. Two pairs of shorts, one red and one white, with the same Bulls-y diamond stripe on the sides. Also two pairs of socks, which are gray and yellow; no particular reason for any of this, other than I think all eight combinations of this set would make for a solid look.

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (8/12: Terminus Quidditch Atlanta)

I think you should ditch the red background on the shorts web to match the gray jersey for the Carnage. 

For Atlanta's away, I would add a thin yellow stripe to the diamond hem stripe, and go with red socks. Also, the number 11 looks off-center.

For the home, I think a faux gradient of red & black horizontal stripes would look cool! A black stripe on the shorts and red sleeve stripes could help too.

Rain City looks pretty good! Of course that raptor would catch a lot of flak out here for using an umbrella 😂

Good work!

2 hours ago, vtgco said:

I think you should ditch the red background on the shorts web to match the gray jersey for the Carnage. 

For Atlanta's away, I would add a thin yellow stripe to the diamond hem stripe, and go with red socks. Also, the number 11 looks off-center.

For the home, I think a faux gradient of red & black horizontal stripes would look cool! A black stripe on the shorts and red sleeve stripes could help too.

Rain City looks pretty good! Of course that raptor would catch a lot of flak out here for using an umbrella 😂

Good work!

Thanks!

The Carnage idea is a good one, but it just doesn't look quite right to me to have a slice of something like that without it being contained in something. I mocked it up with just gray, and with a bit of a border, which I think makes a bit more sense (and preserves color balance a bit better).

For Terminus: the 11 was technically centered, but the font made it look off. I nudged it over a bit to the left and I do think it looks better. As for the rest of your suggestions, the yellow on the hem stripe was a great idea and idk why I didn't do that to begin with. The red socks is something I avoided because I didn't want to have too much red throughout the set; I think it looks good with the white shorts but I'm not sure I'd want them to wear the red socks with the red shorts (plus I liked the option of giving them an extra splash of yellow). For the shorts, did you mean a totally new stripe or just recoloring the existing one? I personally like the second option better, and I think maybe that version of the white shorts might be the way to go too.

The Atlanta away looks perfect now! The red sock fits into the set's color balancing way better than the yellow, IMO.

As for the home, I meant that you could add a thin black diamond stripe like the thin yellow diamond stripe you added to the away. I prefer the white hem over the black.

I see the difficulty for the Carnage... Maybe you could shift the web over so that the edge of the web is visible? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13 hours ago, vtgco said:

The Atlanta away looks perfect now! The red sock fits into the set's color balancing way better than the yellow, IMO.

As for the home, I meant that you could add a thin black diamond stripe like the thin yellow diamond stripe you added to the away. I prefer the white hem over the black.

I see the difficulty for the Carnage... Maybe you could shift the web over so that the edge of the web is visible? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gotcha. I think I still prefer the real gradient to the faux one and I'm still on the fence about the socks (maybe they can just have three pairs?), but other than that, I like your suggestions, and I think this is a much improved set:

bZC6zNq.png

As for Carnage, I couldn't get shifting the web over to work, but I think I came up with a better idea:

6JqvKtR.png

Next up, we return to the Southwest Region, starting with Houston Cosmos QC:

inA6wzh.png

The first thing you might notice is that Houston has a jersey sponsor. They are the only team in this series, and as far as I know, in all of USQ, to have a sponsor, and I wasn't about to take that away from them. What I did take away from them was their double blue color scheme. Their logo is black, white, and light blue, but their jerseys use a dark blue but no black. I figured black made more sense for them, so I recolored that, and I moved the division between the two blues down a bit to make sure it's a primarily blue jersey. For the clash, I took inspiration from this Instagram post, with stars on the front and an alternate pair of white shorts. Both pairs of shorts carry a space stripe as well, calling out their current shorts, just with a lot less extraneous color. Blue socks across the board, mostly to make sure there's enough of that color in the alternate set.

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (8/14: Houston Cosmos QC)

Here's Lone Star QC:

yUbLZ3T.png

The first thing you probably noticed was the Texas shorts. I was not about to mess with Texas shorts. I didn't really want to mess with anything else, either; Lone Star already has a solid set of uniforms. I did tone down the star and state patterns a bit, and I removed the busy flag logo from the sleeve and the number from the opposite sleeve. I wanted to add some color back to make things a little more cohesive, so I added some sleeve stripes. That's about it, really.

What do you guys think? C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (8/15: Lone Star QC)
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for leaving y'all hanging for a week or so there but I was on vacation and didn't have my computer with me. I've got something new for you today, though, and it's the three-time defending champions Texas Cavalry:

LglcKwH.png

Cavalry debuted a really solid new set at the beginning of this year, but it didn't really feel Cavalry enough without the word "Cavalry" spelled out across the front, like on their old jerseys. I brought the wordmark back to the front to replace the front number, and that was the only major thing I changed (I did tweak the pattern on the bottom of the jersey a bit, and I removed the Texas silhouette on the back which already appears in their logo and was also interfering with the USQ logo). All that was really left to do was create a matching clash jersey, so I flipped the colors around. The contrasting collar sticks around to provide some more blue to the set, but the fade on the bottom of the jersey doesn't because I didn't think it worked as well going from white to blue as it did from blue to white.

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (8/25: Texas Cavalry)

Finishing off the Southwest with this year's nationals runner-up, Texas Hill Country Heat:

ozIGcy7.png

Kept things mostly the same as their current jerseys; I did want to put more emphasis on maroon in general, but other than that, things are mostly the same. I did remove the existing pattern in favor of a big sublimated flame, and I also removed the regional logo on the sleeves. The clash is pretty much just a maroon version of the primary. Thought about making it black, but maroon felt more right.

C&C appreciated! Only one more region to go... 👀

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (8/29: Texas Hill Country Heat)

We start the club division of the West with the Bay Area Breakers:

hYdgy0X.png

The Breakers' uniforms are really nice, matching tights and all, but they've got a few issues I needed to fix. Most glaring was the orange numbers on a sky blue background, which is just not gonna work, so I added a pretty heavy drop shadow using the font they used on their proto-uniforms. Their uniforms are (clearly) modeled heavily on their logo, which I think keeps the same vibe as they have now while being a little more grounded in their identity. The clash uses the same wave pattern, but with a cool gradient effect. The shorts are symmetrical in design but asymmetrical in color, and the socks tie everything together with yet another coloration of the same design.

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (8/31: Bay Area Breakers)
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, has it really been 9 days since I last posted here? Sorry for leaving y'all hanging for so long (again) but hopefully the wait will have been worth it for the Fighting Farmers of America:

J5CZbw6.png

So naturally these are heavily based on their current uniforms. There was no way in hell I was changing those. Granted, they're not exactly the same, but that's mostly just from me not exactly being able to match the plaid and trying to make the overalls look a bit more like overalls (the backs of the jerseys in particular are a bit odd). I also got rid of the wordmark and logo from the front, replacing them with a front number, because both of those felt tacked on and clumsy, whereas the number feels like it makes more sense to me. Ideally, the Farmers would never wear a clash jersey, but I'm not about to break my own rules, so I created a clash heavily inspired by @hawkfan89's first Chicago Shamrocks white jersey, with just the word "Farmers" on the front and a name and number on the back.

C&C appreciated!

Archived