Redesigning US Quidditch (9/25: Silicon Valley Vipers)

ItDoesntMatter

16 hours ago, appleclock said:

Illinois state is interesting! The pattern in the clash uniform is a little random until you realize it’s right there in the logo—which is cool.  For Iowa, I’m gonna go ahead and say version 2 with the gold is the one.

Yeah, I like the gold jersey for Iowa a lot more than I like the white, but like I said, I wanted to see what they would look like in white because as of right now they can't wear that gold jersey.

That said, let's move on to Kansas:

MFjw5Lu.png

The Jayhawks debuted new jerseys this season, and I kinda combined an evolution of that set with what I had in my head. I had seen those at nationals but only sort of remembered what they looked like, but I thought the blue-red top-bottom split was a cool idea, and ran with a similar kind of wing/feather pattern, but one that wraps around the jersey instead of reflecting. They're back to using the Trajan font like everyone else at Kansas. For the white jersey, it looked kinda boring with all white, so I faded out the wing pattern instead. Plain white shorts because it's a good look, and I put the wing on the socks because I haven't done much with socks this series and I thought it would look cool, plus I wanted to get more red into the all-white look.

C&C appreciated as always!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (4/30: Iowa & Kansas)
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next, we head as far north as we'll get with a college team and visit the University of Minnesota:

Cnvixop.png

Minnesota is another school that I feel should have as simple a color scheme as you can get it, but their quidditch team has consistently had other ideas. That said, I kinda knew what I wanted to do already, which was wrap the famous M logo around the jersey to make a sort of chest stripe. It's similar to Northwestern football, but I sort of doubt Northwestern football will care much about Minnesota quidditch. The Northwestern stripes are also on the shorts. The clash is white, and they get a pair of white alternate shorts as well.

Minnesota also gets an alternate take, and again, it's more or less just the same set but recolored, but with a few more changes this time. I made gold the primary; I've seen this idea in a couple other places, that since they're the Golden Gophers, they might as well be gold, and I thought they could sort of own the snitch look. I did make contrasting shorts the norm, though as always, they can mix-and-match.

Spoiler

I'm doing two different takes on some teams because USQ currently has a rule that no team can wear yellow or gold as their jersey or shorts color to prevent confusion with snitch runners. Some teams, though, could really benefit aesthetically if that rule was abolished, so for those teams, I'm doing one concept with that rule in place and one without.

9EEZO9c.png

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (5/1: Minnesota)

Here's Mizzou:

lnriSLe.png

This set is more or less an update of Mizzou's current uniforms. I found out Nike gave them a custom tiger stripe pattern, and I couldn't tell whether quidditch was using that one, but they are now. I also got rid of the weird yellow shoulders (I tried a few different ways of changing it up but didn't like any of them) and made sure you could actually read the text on the front of the jerseys. Black shorts, gold socks, and a white alternate.

I wasn't gonna do an alternate take but then I tried out a gold jersey and it looked good so I did. I also got rid of all the white outlines because I think it looks pretty sharp.

3bM4KCe.png

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (5/2: Mizzou)

Hi there @ItDoesntMatter! I love some of these concepts. My name's Jenna, and I'm a USQ employee. I came across this thread because of the Google Alerts I have set up as the communications manager for the league. I'd love to talk more with you about some of these redesigns and see if/how we could apply some of these concepts and your design savvy to some potential league projects! Would you mind reaching out to me at jenna.bollweg@usquidditch.org? I'd love to hear from you. Keep up the good work!

As someone who’s experience with quidditch ends with the Harry Potter movies, these are excellent concepts. There’s no traditional “rules” to this sport’s jersey design, and that’s let you make some unique, fun looks. (Minnesota looks better with the stripe connected with the logo).

On 5/2/2019 at 8:43 PM, Jenna B said:

Hi there @ItDoesntMatter! I love some of these concepts. My name's Jenna, and I'm a USQ employee. I came across this thread because of the Google Alerts I have set up as the communications manager for the league. I'd love to talk more with you about some of these redesigns and see if/how we could apply some of these concepts and your design savvy to some potential league projects! Would you mind reaching out to me at jenna.bollweg@usquidditch.org? I'd love to hear from you. Keep up the good work!

Hi Jenna! I never would have thought this would make it all the way to you all at USQ, so that's pretty cool! I've sent you an email. Thanks for getting in touch!

On 5/3/2019 at 12:04 AM, appleclock said:

Mizzou is nice. I even like the white jersey as opposed to the yellow one. The stripes are a win.

I'm not gonna lie, I like the white and yellow jerseys about the same. I did think the yellow seemed a little more Mizzou, which is why I included it.

10 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

As someone who’s experience with quidditch ends with the Harry Potter movies, these are excellent concepts. There’s no traditional “rules” to this sport’s jersey design, and that’s let you make some unique, fun looks. (Minnesota looks better with the stripe connected with the logo).

Thanks! It's fun being able to go outside the box a bit, although a lot of existing designs make me feel awfully restrained sometimes. (re: Minnesota: I think so too.)

Next up is Northern Colorado, who technically dropped from the tournament at the last minute, but they still qualified and nobody took their spot and I really like this concept so shut up:

6T6SY1D.png

Like Mizzou, UNC's current look is already pretty good and just needs an update. The chevrons are great and the soccer team uses them too, which is a plus, so they stay on the shoulders, but the ones on the side panels drop to the shorts. UNC is still on the front (but legible now), and the bear logo is on the shorts. Also, the bear claw pattern (I assume that's what it is) is gone because I felt like it just muddled things up. For the white jersey, I kept all the striping consistent, so it's still yellow to blue, and I really like how that looks. I gave them a pair of white alternate shorts as well because it still looks pretty cool.

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (5/5: Northern Colorado)

I've always thought that Northern Colorado should use "NoCo" as a branding choice to avoid "UNC". As for the design, I really like the striping on the blue, but I'm not as big a fan of it on the white. Aside from removing the blue (which isn't a choice I'd make), I don't know how to change it.

5 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I've always thought that Northern Colorado should use "NoCo" as a branding choice to avoid "UNC". As for the design, I really like the striping on the blue, but I'm not as big a fan of it on the white. Aside from removing the blue (which isn't a choice I'd make), I don't know how to change it.

29 minutes ago, NoE38 said:

Haven't commented here before, but I love this series! It's cool seeing designs for a sport we don't know much about visually. 

I think NoCo could look better with a blue outline where the yellow and white touch.

Look forward to seeing your other designs!

I like the striping as it is, and I tried a bunch of options on both white and gold jerseys, but I couldn't really come up with anything that looked right. I did try a version where white and gold don't touch, which I don't mind, but I also don't think it's an improvement:

I0rhsvj.png

The next team up is SIU Edwardsville:

lVIdKB8.png

Once again, I took pretty heavy inspiration from the Cougars' current set. I flipped the colors to try to give red more prominence, steepened the angle to allow the split to carry around the sleeve and back down the other side instead of just awkwardly cutting off on the sleeve, and added the cougar to the opposite sleeve. The front numbers also come up much higher. The clash is white, with just a thin stripe to emulate the split. One pair each of shorts (red) and socks (black).

C&C appreciated as always!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (5/6: SIUE)

Rounding out the Midwest is Southern Illinois (yes it was kinda weird doing SIUE before SIUC but I'm over it):

MVQi0ty.png

The Salukis - which is a great name - just released their new logo - which is a great logo - in February, and none of their athletic teams, as far as I could find, have released updated uniforms yet, so I had a pretty blank slate with this one. I really hope they move away from all this black and just go with maroon and white. In that spirit, I kept it simple, albeit with an SIU wordmark on the sleeves - I know everybody hated when the Lions did it, but I wanted the school's name to go somewhere on the jersey, and I liked how the dog looked on the front too much to change it. Double stripes on the shorts (I wanted to add some reference to ancient Egypt because the Saluki name comes from the region's "Little Egypt" nickname, and it turns out four was a very important number for the Egyptians, and there are four total stripes on the shorts, so good enough), and everything but the socks gets a white version in case of clash.

C&C appreciated! Also if you happen to be affiliated with SIU and have some advanced knowledge of what their rebrand is going to look like let me know 😉

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (5/7: Southern Illinois)

The next region is the one I'm most familiar with, the Northeast. Leading off is Boston University:

zspunNW.png

My first thought for BU was to check out what their hockey teams wore and emulate that, but it seems like just about every other team on campus has more or less already done that. If the men's soccer team is any indication, though, you shouldn't let that limit you. I really wanted to incorporate the sash BU quidditch has become known for, so it's there in a slightly darker shade of red. Stripes on the shorts are slanted forward to kind of imitate that as well. Jerseys and shorts both get a matching white version as well, and red socks finish things off.

C&C appreciated!

• ItDoesntMatter changed the title to Redesigning US Quidditch (5/8: Boston U)

Next up is Brandeis:

AsrjH3b.png

Honestly, this one made me sad. I really like Brandeis quidditch's current look, and if it were up to me, I'd want the rest of Deis athletics to look like their quidditch team instead of the other way around. Rules are rules, though, so I did what I could. I liked the wordmark the Judges' softball team uses, so I straightened it out and slapped it on the front. I wanted to shout out the quidditch identity somehow, so I put the wings from their owl logo (which is very good) on the sleeves. I thought the gavel would work as a shorts stripe, and I think I was right. Gray socks, and a gray clash uniform, because it's a good look for women's basketball, and I think it'd be a good look for quidditch too.

C&C appreciated!

Archived