Supreme Court Justice Logo

Jeffery

I would do outlines around the gavel and the earring to keep it consistent with everything else, and so that they are more distinguishable against the yellow background.

The face does need some tweaks. The mouth indicates aggression but the eyes don't. Maybe furrow the brow more to bring that expression out more.

There's also something throwing me off about the foot/leg that's coming forward toward to the viewer. It seems disproportionately longer than the other, and like it wouldn't connect to rest of the body in the right way. Perhaps rework the folds of the robe to indicate the knee of the back leg is bent underneath it?

Better. I think you still need to make some slight adjustments and make it Lady Justice, but with this direction the ethnicity is evened out? As their robes are black, you should change the outline and robe colors. 

It’s meant to be a stylized depiction of Sandra Day O’Connor, the first woman on the Supreme Court. As far as the legs, I was hoping it would look more balanced but if it looks wonky maybe I should give them another shot.

8 minutes ago, Jeffery said:

It’s meant to be a stylized depiction of Sandra Day O’Connor, the first woman on the Supreme Court. As far as the legs, I was hoping it would look more balanced but if it looks wonky maybe I should give them another shot.

It does indeed look wonky. But if legs aren't working, you could try having her emerge out of the middle of a roundel or another shape so that it's still logical.

I love that the pose has that vintage NCAA fightin' (insert name here) quality to it, which makes the design fun without being disrespectful.

I don't want to be "that guy" who posts his own work in someone else's thread (so I won't), but I did recently complete client work depicting the "Justice is Blind" statue, which seems relevant, and I used the old NY Rangers alternate as a key reference:

s-l300.jpg

This logo doesn't really have eyes, a nose, or mouth - simply the shadowed contours left where the light doesn't hit. I don't think every logo should follow this blueprint, but do I think that, in general, using bold, thick lines and lighting to imply features instead of specifically drawing them out creates the strong composition you see in a lot of logo and vector-style designs. Your latest update looks very specifically like something I might create myself in-progress - don't be afraid to get bold with your use of the dark blue within the design itself to flesh everything out!

Archived