Washington Redwolves

Faxion

As a Washington Redskins fan, I totally embrace the name change. Although it is a sad day when we turn our backs on the teams whole identity by dropping the Native American theme entirely.

Most of the suggestions for a new name are unsuitable and leave me underwhelmed. But one that really stands out and has the most potential is the 'Washington Redwolves'.

This has the obvious advantage of retaining the colours. Keeping the #HTTR and the fight-song (with some updated lyrics). It would be a mistake to abandon the teams long and storied history...this could work nicely as a viable evolution.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That wolf head is pretty cool.  It reminds me of Wolverhampton FC a little.  I think there needs to be a little more depth of detail or shading on the forehead.  It's almost TOO simple with all the open space.

Also, while I definitely support a name and imagery change for the Skins, I think the colors should remain.

mainescarf.png

Washington Redwolves head update, with new detail to forehead (thanks to 'Slugger') but keeping it geometric rather than illustrative.

I have worked with various ideas, but a simpler approach benefits the design. The original concept started with incorporating a 'W' into the head, so I have re-introduced that as an alternative option. But I am not convinced it works in this case. As far as keeping the teams current colours, this could tie in well with the introduction of the darker blue/grey as an accent colour to compliment the original burgundy and gold.

Sam-Brown-Red-Head2.jpg

spacer.png

Fanastic! The second one with the W is amazing!  Would you consider doing a mockup with the Burgundy and Gold?  I'm not even a Skins fan but I feel like if this were real-world, keeping the colors might make the change easier for some initially resistant to it.  Maybe use two shades of burgundy in place of the double red and then gold for the eyes or something. 

Either way, I'm excited to see where you take this.  Great work.

mainescarf.png

On 7/10/2020 at 11:28 AM, Faxion said:

As a Washington Redskins fan, I totally embrace the name change. Although it is a sad day when we turn our backs on the teams whole identity by dropping the Native American theme entirely.

Most of the suggestions for a new name are unsuitable and leave me underwhelmed. But one that really stands out and has the most potential is the 'Washington Redwolves'.

This has the obvious advantage of retaining the colours. Keeping the #HTTR and the fight-song (with some updated lyrics). It would be a mistake to abandon the teams long and storied history...this could work nicely as a viable evolution.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Any chance I could get the psd of the helmet and the vs graphic? 

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

Before-After-Red-Wolves.jpg

Further revision of the Washington Redwolves re-brand.

Working with the existing Burgundy and Gold enables the new team to keep the heritage of the former franchise, while presenting a brand new ethos.

Whatever new name the team finally decides, it must look to the future yet link to the team's storied history.

The Redwolf head has been tweeked. Spacing the eyes and raising them slightly. I looked at many colour combinations and this was the best solution working with the restricted palette.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanx uniguy22

I distanced this concept from a more realistic approach. Creating a geometric stylistic design.

That being said, I have worked up an alternative along the lines of your suggestion. This is more mean and grittier bust still using hard lines and clean shapes.

Improvement? Or not?

spacer.png

I don't think it's an improvement. The update to the mouth almost makes it look like he's grinning, and one side is larger than the other. 

Also, my eyes still are drawn to the "W" shading before anything else. I feel like it takes away from the logo. Seems like you're going a little backwards with each update. Of all the versions the original is still the best, but missing the burgundy and gold. I still think a shaded version similar to the grizzlies would look good, but if you prefer not to do that I think you may want to go back to the original with revised colours. 

I think it’s one hell of an improvement. The “W” doesn’t need to be forced in there and noticeable. This does a good job of hiding it. I actually think you could somehow incorporate an abstract Washington Monument or Capitol Building.

Tweaked this some more.

Replaced the curved corners with sharp angled edges as my initial concepts (not shown). The curves could be seen as cute and not tough enough. This makes for a more intimidating icon. Also refined the 'snarl' showing teeth, which I was trying to avoid. But this works well, I don't feel it falls into cliche territory.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Faxion said:

Tweaked this some more.

Replaced the curved corners with sharp angled edges as my initial concepts (not shown). The curves could be seen as cute and not tough enough. This makes for a more intimidating icon. Also refined the 'snarl' showing teeth, which I was trying to avoid. But this works well, I don't feel it falls into cliche territory.

spacer.png

I really like this update.  I think taking the rounded edges and making them more pointed, really improved the logo.

Terrific work.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

Archived