GSL - The Gridiron Uniform Database Simulation League (Concepts Only)

pitt6pack

I'll preface this post by saying that I'm just posting logos, uniforms, and field designs here; I will not be running any game simulations here, or doing anything that resembled the old sports fan fiction forum (RIP). Just showing some teams I created as a demonstration of The Gridiron Uniform Database Simulation League (GSL).

That said, I'll start with league logos:

p86Q5n5.png

The main league logo I adapted from a league logo entry I made in Logolympiad 2017.

Different parts of the league logo can be displayed together or separately, as follows:

GTOb7lo.png

League logos can be displayed on either navy, red, gold, or white (same shades as used in the logo).

On a navy background the colors in the football alternate, to be less navy heavy:

JNZ2koz.png

I created 6 demonstration teams for the league:

Las Vegas Outlaws

Louisiana Royals

Los Angeles Express

San Diego Breakers

St. Louis Brewers

Washington Stars

I've posted some concepts of some of these teams in the past, but I've made changes to each one I have posted, and others I adapted from past Logolympiad entries I submitted in years past.

I'll start posting team concepts once I get them organized.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, RBronish said:

We (The owners) are creating the teams for 2021. For example...

I'm just going to second this.

I'm not going to post for the teams I don't own, since, well, I don't own them, and it's not my work to share.

13 hours ago, Bruhammydude said:

Did you make this @pitt6pack? If so that is awesome!

Thanks!, and yes, all the concepts I post in this thread are my own.

• Like 1

The last of the 6 demonstration teams for the GSL, the Los Angeles Express.

This is by far my least favorite team, and I think for starters I'd need to re-work the logo for sure. This team will not be returning for the 2021 GSL season; I've chosen to not put the team up for sale, and just retire it.

Logos

YOjEqgW.png

Wordmarks

HZ7GldN.png

Uniforms

bVjiomx.png

Fields

5cG2xla.png

IztxcOh.png

• Like 1

Baltimore Bluebirds

So this is actually my wife's team in the GSL. I'm putting the logo and wordmark together, based on what she wants, so still a work in progress. I have to figure out how to make the bird less angry, which I think will mostly require a rework of the eye and eye brow. We may also tweak the script font a little bit, but probably not much. The blue and orange colors are based on the bluebirds we see out side here in MD. Some of the specific shades are based on Auburn Universities blue and orange (being the dark blue and the bright orange). My wife will put the uniform and field designs together, and then once I put them in digital format, I'll post those as well.

Here's what we've got so far:

Logos

rIWIKPf.png

Wordmarks

N6zA0XZ.png

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The GSL is entering its Championship week, so I figured I'd post the uniforms and field for the game.

QTtcAq9.png

JL80q2D.png

K1kcqIU.png

Lrj1gwz.png

The logo is a bit plain for the demonstration season of the GSL. For future seasons, the GSL Championship game will be named the "Gridiron Bowl", with unique championship logos, created each season by league member @logoroy

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 1:56 PM, jbird669 said:

What are you using to simulate the league and its games?

For now, just a very simple "dice" roll, based on team strengths. I thought about using an in-depth simulation program I wrote in college, in which teams would run the statistically best play in certain game situations, but this program didn't account for different team strengths, just used statistics from all games during the 2012 NFL season.

The actual simulation I'm using now (which I expect will evolve and be improved upon from year to year) is as follows (ignore formatting, this is a copy/paste from the GSL forum)

I like my simulations to be able to be in real life, if technology fails us, so you may notice that all simulation here can be done with a single 6 sided die, and simple math.

Before the season starts, each team gets randomly assigned an offensive, and defensive rank, which varies between values of 1 and 6. These values will not be made public during for official GSL seasons, but for demonstration purposes, these are the current team rankings for the 2020 season:

Team Name Offensive Strength Defensive Strength
Las Vegas Outlaws 3 6
Los Angeles Express 1 3
Louisiana Royals 2 6
San Diego Breakers 5 1
St. Louis Brewers 4 1
Washington Stars 2 4

These values won't change throughout a single season, but would be expected to change from year to year (this is outlined below).

The above values are then used to simulate a game. The easiest way to explain the simulation, is through an example, so I will use the Las Vegas Outlaws at San Diego Breakers as an example game.

The rankings for each team are as follows:

Team Name Offensive Strength Defensive Strength
Las Vegas Outlaws 3 6
San Diego Breakers 5 1

The first thing to do, is to calculate the away score. For this, I need a simulated "dice count". By dice count, I mean, how many "dice" (or random values, 1-6) the team can "roll" and sum up to get their score.
Each team starts with 10 "dice", but this value changes, depending on team rankings. The start amount is 10, but 1 die gets added per offensive rank, and 1 die gets subtracted for the opposing teams defensive rank.

For the example, the Outlaws have an offensive rank of 3, and the Breakers have a defensive rank of 1. The number of dice the Outlaws would get can then be calculated as:
10 + 3 - 1 = 12 "dice" to roll

The score for the Outlaws can then be calculated, by simulating a roll of each of these "dice", and then summing each roll.
My example roll comes out to a sum of 40. This is not a final score. It must be adjusted, so that it is possible for a team to roll a 0 (for a score of 0).
To do this, I subtract the total number of dice from the roll total, which in this case is 12. So the score is adjusted down as: 40 - 12 = 28. This score is still not a final away score; there is further adjustment to get to later.

Doing the same process for the Breakers, we note that the Breakers have an offensive rank of 5, and the Outlaws have a defensive rank of 6. The number of dice the Breakers would roll is then calculated as:
10 + 5 - 6 = 9 "dice" to roll

The simulated roll comes out to 35. Again, we must subtract the number of dice rolled, so this gets us an adjusted score of 35 - 9 = 24.
There is one more score adjustment for the home team, and that is home field advantage. Experts in betting typically move the line on average, with all else equal, 3 points in favor of the home team. So I add 3 points to the home teams adjusted score, to factor in a home field advantage. So the breakers adjusted score comes out to:
24 + 3 = 27

So now we have a score of:
Outlaws - 28
Breakers - 27

The Outlaws have officially won this game at this point, but I also factor in another final score adjustment, based on the total offense, and total defense ranks of both teams in this game. I do this adjustment, because, say both teams have good offenses, and bad defenses. We'd expect a higher score for the game on both sides. On the flip side, if both teams had good defenses, and bad offenses, then we'd expect a lower scoring game overall. So I calculate total offense minus total defense, and use this as a point adjustment for both teams, in the following manor:

Total offense = LV(off) + SD(off) = 3 + 5 = 8
Total defense = LV(def) + SD(def) = 6 + 1 = 7

Score adjustment = Tot(off) - Tot(def) = 8 - 7 = 1
I add this number, 1, to each teams score, as a way to adjust for the fact that, in total, in this game, offenses are better than defenses, giving me a final score of:

Outlaws - 29
Breakers - 28

In this game, the change wasn't too dramatic, but you can imagine, the change would be larger for a game between San Diego and St. Louis (which would be +7).

There is one final score adjustment I do, to remove improbable, scores.
We would not expect to see a team ever score 1, or 4 points, and a few other "uncommon" scores, so if a team scores, say, 4 points, I change their score down to 3 points as a final score, UNLESS, this changes this outcome of the game. So if a game ended 4 to 3, I would not want to change the score to 3 to 3, but instead, I would change the score to 6 to 3.

One other instance we may run into, is overtime. In overtime, each team gets a single dice roll. The higher roll wins. The difference between the rolls determines the amount of points the winning team would get in overtime. A difference of 1 through 4 would give the winning team +3 points, or a field goal to win in overtime. If the difference is 5, then the winning team gets +6 points, or a touchdown to win in overtime. If both teams get the same roll, then overtime continues. If both teams tie on a roll of 5+, then each team gets +3 points (both teams scores a field goal first possession), otherwise, no points. We roll again, and if different, points are awarded to the winner as previously defined. Otherwise, if both teams are still tied, then the game ends in a tie. In the playoffs, we would keep going until both teams are not tied, and we have a winner.

And that is the full simulation. If anyone is interested, I have source code in PHP.

This is the simulation method that will be used for the 2021 GSL season. Simulations happen automatically 3 hours after the posted game times, and the scores are posted immediately after simulation. So there is nothing I can do to manually simulate games, or alter game scores.

And, non-simulation related, I also have some scheduling formulas that I've been working on, for 18 game seasons, with 16, 18, 20, 22, or 24 team leagues:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V-jVQ8iMFSIRGfevjr_7COZMRYTY52JxSTYS0EZuQSg/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 2

Since this is a concepts forum, I'll throw an updated concept out here for the Washington Stars.

The Stars are not currently in line to join the GSL for the 2021 season, but, because all of my scheduling formulas are based on a league with an even number of teams, if the GSL ends up with an odd number of teams by the cutoff date, the Stars will be added to the league to even things out, with no owner.

ofwhLRc.png

QsINtvF.png

NK8CA28.png

yubDvlc.png

Z0VsSfn.png

eybEhn7.png

Kind of related to the simulation topic, the Stars were a team I carried over from a league I used to simulate on paper, using a deck of cards to simulate the games, with a certain two card combination being equivalent to a certain amount of yardage. For that league, I simulated 146 full seasons, with most games being simulated using a single die, and I just kept team records. For the playoffs, I would simulate games using the card method, and simulate full games that way. That all started in 5th grade when I got one of those football field rugs for Christmas, and I would draw out the team endzones, and championship logos to tape onto the rug for championship games.