Unifying the MLB (30/30) NFL (32/32), NHL (32/32 Complete), NBA (30/30 Wizards Added)

johne9109

5 hours ago, johne9109 said:

Here is the Braves with the gold added tot he home and away striping and I'll say I don't think it works 
q2oJ2pv.png

OboQHmC.png

For the Braves I was thinking something more like this:

spacer.png

Tri-color piping on the soutache, sleeves and pants and double outlines on the numbers. 

I like the Reds but the added outlines on the home and road jersey numbers makes the jerseys unnecessarily messy looking. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

For the Braves I was thinking something more like this:

spacer.png

Tri-color piping on the soutache, sleeves and pants and double outlines on the numbers. 

I like the Reds but the added outlines on the home and road jersey numbers makes the jerseys unnecessarily messy looking. 

I see what you're saying. I'd still just leave the gold for the Alts

ZUH86xc.png

Cleveland Guardians

The Guardians even though just rebranding have a deep history. The home and away that they currently have stay essentially the same. The Alternates touch on the franchises history while giving them a Guardians twist. The home alternate harkens back to the home uniform that the team had from the 90's pretty much up until the teams rebrand. The away alternate gives the 80's uniform a Guardians twist as well. The home throwback goes back to 1902. Similarly the away throwback goes to a similar time in 1903

6tnoYU0.jpg

• Like 3

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to Unifying the MLB (8/30 Guardians added) NFL, NHL, NBA

Crazy idea but how about adding racing stripes to the Guardians home and road primaries? It would give their unis a little more personality and allow you to do something more interesting with the home and away alts. I'd like to see a red and/or navy alt in there somewhere. 

• 2 months later...
  • johne9109 changed the title to Unifying the MLB (9/30 Rockies added) NFL, NHL, NBA

Detroit Tigers

The Tigers get some color added to their home and away uniforms. I added orange into their striping to liven up their look a bit. The Home alternate is a colorful take on the teams uniforms from late 80's to the early 90's while the away alternate is a recreation of their away uniforms of the 80's. Their home throw back takes us back to 1927 with a unique tiger head on the front of the uniform. The away throwback is from the following year. The tiger head was originally featured on the back of this uniform, but I moved it to the sleeves to make room for player numbers. 

0M5xtib.jpg

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to Unifying the MLB (10/30 Tigers added) NFL, NHL, NBA
  • johne9109 changed the title to Unifying the MLB (11/30 Astros added) NFL, NHL, NBA

Kansas City Royals

So the biggest change for the Royals is that the main home away and alternate home and away all feature script wordmarks on the jerseys. I always felt the script font fit the Royals better than the block font they use on their away uniforms. The home throwback only goes back to the 2000's. The away throwback however takes us back to the teams original away uniforms

mgoaJBz.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to Unifying the MLB (12/30 Royals added) NFL, NHL, NBA

Small nitpick: You stated the Tigers' road alt is based on their '80s roads, but the uniform you linked to is from 1994. I would base the road alt on this design which is from the year they won the World Series. 

Great work on the other teams. I like that you went with the 2000s Astros style numbers for Houston. Those mid-90s style Astros look shockingly good in navy and orange. One suggestion for the road throwback: either make the gray part white or reverse the colors on the top part of the jersey (navy with white or gray lettering). The tequila sunrise era Astros wore the exact same uniform both at home and away so therefore this would be more of a fauxback. 

Keep up the great work! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Small nitpick: You stated the Tigers' road alt is based on their '80s roads, but the uniform you linked to is from 1994. I would base the road alt on this design which is from the year they won the World Series. 

Great work on the other teams. I like that you went with the 2000s Astros style numbers for Houston. Those mid-90s style Astros look shockingly good in navy and orange. One suggestion for the road throwback: either make the gray part white or reverse the colors on the top part of the jersey (navy with white or gray lettering). The tequila sunrise era Astros wore the exact same uniform both at home and away so therefore this would be more of a fauxback. 

Keep up the great work! 

For the Tigers it was kind of a combination of the took (good eye).  The Astros while mostly designed on the tequila sunrise uniforms, which never had a grey counterpart, they do take the grey from the away uniforms that had the pattern on shoulders and the arms so it's kind of a combination of the two eras. This also explains why I could not find a grey version of the regular tequila sunrise jersey. I did not know they wore the same uniforms home and away so once again thanks for that insight. I'll try to be a little more detailed in my explanations where all inspirations come from. 

ZUH86xc.png

Los Angeles Angels

When I originally planned this out I was going to leave the home and away uniforms as is and have the alternates be red versions of their 90's uniforms, but then they released their City Connect uniforms and those things are so beautiful I went ahead and made them the home and away unfirms. For the alternates then I combined their current red alternates and their away uniform, but used the logos from the 90's uniforms. The home throwback then takes us to their days as the California Angels in the 70's and the away gets the lower case wordmark from just slightly before. For the sake of cohesiveness I made both throwback uniforms pullovers even though the away uniform originally was a button down jersey.

KudBqvp.jpg

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to Unifying the MLB (13/30 Angels added) NFL, NHL, NBA

The max number of outlines for a name for most name fonts before they become messy looking is 1 and for numbers its two. a good number of your designs simply have too many outlines and it seriously drags down the designs. Another thing is the sleeve logos, which are generally way, way too big.

The Angels home and Away are good, but the alternates are horrible, with the two toned red caps, the seriously dated 90s logos, the socks which don't go with the uniforms, and the lack of Halos.

3 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

The max number of outlines for a name for most name fonts before they become messy looking is 1 and for numbers its two. a good number of your designs simply have too many outlines and it seriously drags down the designs. Another thing is the sleeve logos, which are generally way, way too big.

The Angels home and Away are good, but the alternates are horrible, with the two toned red caps, the seriously dated 90s logos, the socks which don't go with the uniforms, and the lack of Halos.

You tell that to the actual Detroit TIgers. Look I appreciate feedback and critiques, but you are just downright negative. If you don't like my designs, you don't have to come and look. 

ZUH86xc.png

7 hours ago, johne9109 said:

You tell that to the actual Detroit TIgers. Look I appreciate feedback and critiques, but you are just downright negative. If you don't like my designs, you don't have to come and look. 

Sure,  I would gladly tell the front office that the Tigers looked much better with navy names with no outline and navy wordmark and number with one outline on the road pre '94.

I do like a good deal of your designs, I said I liked the Angels home and away, and I would also add apart from the oversized sleeve logo, the throwbacks are good too. It's just that the alternates really are bad. The IRL home alternate for the Angels has red wordmarks, numbers and name all with multiple outlines, and it's far from the most legible or easy on the eye, and that is by far the worst aspect of those jerseys. Either blue or white with just one outline would be a massive improvement.

The Disney era script you've used does look more pleasant than the one on the IRL jersey due to the thicker navy outline and large white wing, but it does mean that there are no Halos anywhere on either alt set, and considering just what the teams nickname is, thats unfortunate. And I don't understand why you used two shades of red (an orangeish shade for most of it) for the cap and another shade for the two front panels when you only used one shade for the home and away, and one shade of navy for the heritage, and the shade of red used for those two panels isn't used anywhere else on the uniform.

When put next to the Home and Road and the heritage uniforms (which are really nice), the Alternates look really subpar. You've also used Kauffman Stadium for the background instead of Angel Stadium. 

The reason I commented was that I liked the H+R and the Heritage sets, but the Alts just brought it down. I'm also a sports fan and think that sports are "the most important of the unimportant things", and as a result, I have a soft spot for the Halos and feel the pain of their fans who have had to put up with Arte Morenos S***e and have to watch two generational talents get wasted and everything else that has happened with that team. And I know what it's like to have a team owner that knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

It would be nice if you used Angel Stadium for the background at least.

10 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

Sure,  I would gladly tell the front office that the Tigers looked much better with navy names with no outline and navy wordmark and number with one outline on the road pre '94.

I do like a good deal of your designs, I said I liked the Angels home and away, and I would also add apart from the oversized sleeve logo, the throwbacks are good too. It's just that the alternates really are bad. The IRL home alternate for the Angels has red wordmarks, numbers and name all with multiple outlines, and it's far from the most legible or easy on the eye, and that is by far the worst aspect of those jerseys. Either blue or white with just one outline would be a massive improvement.

The Disney era script you've used does look more pleasant than the one on the IRL jersey due to the thicker navy outline and large white wing, but it does mean that there are no Halos anywhere on either alt set, and considering just what the teams nickname is, thats unfortunate. And I don't understand why you used two shades of red (an orangeish shade for most of it) for the cap and another shade for the two front panels when you only used one shade for the home and away, and one shade of navy for the heritage, and the shade of red used for those two panels isn't used anywhere else on the uniform.

When put next to the Home and Road and the heritage uniforms (which are really nice), the Alternates look really subpar. You've also used Kauffman Stadium for the background instead of Angel Stadium. 

The reason I commented was that I liked the H+R and the Heritage sets, but the Alts just brought it down. I'm also a sports fan and think that sports are "the most important of the unimportant things", and as a result, I have a soft spot for the Halos and feel the pain of their fans who have had to put up with Arte Morenos S***e and have to watch two generational talents get wasted and everything else that has happened with that team. And I know what it's like to have a team owner that knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

It would be nice if you used Angel Stadium for the background at least.

These feels more constructive; you've really explained yourself instead of ust coming through every so often saying this is bad or that's awful. As far as the alternates I enjoy the 90's logos and these are my concepts I can put what I want. And the 90's logos have wings which are also indicative of angels; halos aren't the only imagery for angels. I don't know if it's my screen or your screen but they are all one tone. I appreciate your passion for sports and the history, but these concepts I'm not putting together based off a history; if I think it looks good I'm gonna use it. If you came in here with a little more positivity and politeness saying something like "Those alts ok, but I wonder what they'd look like with the current wordmark" I would be open trying it, but when you come to MY concepts just ragging it I'm not gonna be open to your suggestions. With all that being said I'm glad you caught that I used the wrong stadium; completely forgot to change that somehow. I went ahead and changed it to the correct stadium.

VRDJWPC.jpg

ZUH86xc.png

Los Angeles Dodgers

Moving on to the Dodgers now. The Dodgers have an iconic look so I didn't do anything to the home and away. The Blue alternate from the late 90's becomes the basis for the home alternate. I took the silver out as I feel like it didn't fit the Dodgers look and replaced it with white. I then took that and made a grey version for the away alternate. The home throwback is a Brooklyn uniform from 1913. The away throwback is a very interesting uniform from a few years later. It's so out there and visually interesting that I had to use it. I put LA in place of the Brooklyn B on both uniforms

CTZwjRa.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to Unifying the MLB (14/30 Dodgers added) NFL, NHL, NBA
2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Nice work on the Angels! How about pinstripes on the road alt?

Also, is that an old PCL Angels logo you used for the Dodgers road throwback? Nice!

Here's the Angels with pinstripes. Can't say I like it (doesn't feel very Angels) The throwback logo I used for the Dodgers I made actually, but looking up the PCL Angels logo I can see where you thought that.

pb4Rit1.png

ZUH86xc.png

Miami Marlins

I think the Marlins have taken steps to have a good uniform (especially after their original horrible rebrand when they first moved to Miami) I took what they have and made some slight changes. The main change is that I relegated black to a very minor color. I also put the Marlins wordmark from their current black alternate onto their home jersey. The alternates take the home and away and REALLY step up the amount of caliente red and Miami blue to make some truly Miami looking uniforms. The throwback uniforms are both based on the sleeveless uniform the Marlins entered the MLB with. I loved the Marlins pinstripe look and decided to adapt that into the away uniform as well (even though it never had pinstripes) I also used their away wordmark that they didn't start using until the early 2000's, but it fit the home uniform much better

QqF4t2j.jpg

ZUH86xc.png