MLB Field of Dreams Uniforms - AL Central 8/25

mcrosby

I'd love to see all 30 clubs play a game in Iowa some day, and I'd love it if they all looked like they were out there in their turn of the (20th) century uniforms. That said, a few teams weren't around back then, and even more of them had some real boring unis back then. I've decided to fix that with a mix of reverse retro (NHL), retro remix (NBA), and just plain fauxback. Not everyone will be wearing white, grey, or cream. That's boring and teams wore color back in the day too. 

Let's start with the AL East.

Tampa Bay Rays: A fauxback logo featuring a diamond in a ray, similar to the Baltimore Terrapins logo from the Federal League. The uni has 1916 NY Giants inspired plaid, a nod to the Rays brief dabble in plaid-billed hats and 'Braysers' back in 2010.

Toronto Blue Jays: a slightly blue grey uni with a fauxback logo using the Toronto Leafs leaf logo as they started way back in 1896. Hat and stripes inspired by 1905 Leafs uniforms.

NY Yankees:  Pinstripes on grey. NY from Highlanders uniforms circa 1903.

Boston Red Sox: Seemed obvious, give the uni a bunch of red socks. 1908 logo and simplicity are the name of the game. 

Baltimore Orioles: All black everything for the O's. Very much inspired by the 1901 Baltimore uniform.

RyXP1pr.jpg

• Like 15
  • Applause 2

NL Central: 

St. Louis Cardinals: 1920 script, altered with the period under the T like the original 1920 unis. Hats inspired by those introduced in 1909

Pittsburgh Pirates: Instead of going to the red/blue scheme of the early 20th C. Pirates, I've stuck with black and yellow. Vertical script a la 1912 uniforms.  A pillbox hat as used in the 70s because the pillbox has a very old feel to it. 

Chicago Cubs: Essentially a reverse of what they had this year. 

Cincinnati Reds: A club that has done just about every throwback available has to have a mixing of eras or we'll be duplicating what's already been done. A mix of 1910 unis but with added black but with 1913's logo, again with added black. The biggest mix-up here are the red pants because why shouldn't the Redlegs get red pants?

Milwaukee Brewers: An update of the 1901 Brewers, unaffiliated with the current Crew, but historic nonetheless. The hat colors are reversed and the bill M as well as jersey script are given a nice blackletter to evoke the German beer vibe later used by the Motre Bame Brewers of the 90s. 

ftoDfT9.jpg

• Like 11

NL East

Washington Nationals: Reverse of the 1910 Washington Senators unis but with the 1903 logo, altered slightly to include a rough capitol dome. 

Miami Marlins: Full blown fauxback. Wide pinstripes a la their current City Edition, but a jumping marlin silhouette and an early deco font for the script and hat. 

Philadelphia Phillies: 1910s style updated with maroon instead of red. A new chest logo featuring a wide P and the shape of Pennsylvania. Hat has a PHILA. wordmark via the 1900 uni, just something we haven't really seen before but still feels vintage. 

Atlanta Braves: 1913 red pinstripes on blue uniform, but with a block A replacing the (Boston) block B. Sleeves feature a vintage version of the 1970s sleeve feathers

NY Mets: Bringing back the NY Giants 1916 plaid unis, but with some added blue trim. The wordmark is my own creation, a vintage feeling full name script with a Big Apple O. The apple is featured on the sleeve as well.

FoDNLE.png

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

I meant to mention this when I first saw these on Twitter, but that diamond ray logo is absolutely genius. That one is probably my favorite of the bunch so far. 

Beyond that, like @johne9109 said, there isn't really anything to dislike here. The Brewers in particular are another standout for me (that Germanic font is really nice) and the entire NL East is absolutely fantastic.

I'm excited to see what you have for the second half of the league!

• Like 1

The more I look at these designs the more I pick up on great little details I missed at first, like the apple on the sleeve of the Metropolitans. 

I am curious about the logo being on the bill of the Brewers cap. Is that based on something specific or is it just a crazy idea you had?

AL Central

Minnesota Twins: A fauxback with inspiration from their current cream unis as well as the somewhat common double monogram look of the early 1900s. 

Detroit Tigers: 1901 hat paired with an all blue uni a la 1905-06. A new blackletter wordmark replaces the block DETROIT of 1902. The socks and undershirt get a full tiger stripes treatment. 

Cleveland Guardians: The Guardians sport their curly C from the late '00s. A faux blue collar harkens to uniforms of the earlys '00s. I liked the curly C as is looks a bit like a G. 

Chicago White Sox: The Sox get an inverse of their 1911 uniform, add pinstripes, replace blue with black, and an update of the block SOX to a more on brand font. Sox grace the hat like back in 1926

Kansas City Royals: Wordmark from the 1915 Kansas City Packers of the Federal League on a double blue uniform. The hat features a heart and the Kansas City Monarchs monogram on a hat striped like the Monarchs

xwhrlej.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 2

• mcrosby changed the title to MLB Field of Dreams Uniforms - AL Central 8/25

The Royals base uniform colour looks grey to me, and it would be nice if the buttons matched the shirt as they do with every other uniform except the Blue Jays, but both uniforms are really good.  One thing that I would like to see for some teams are pockets on the shirts, for most of them it would get in the way of the script, but the Pirates and the Pale Hose could do with one on the chest as they have the headspoon scripts.

Overall most of these designs are great, Nats are my fave.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

The Royals base uniform colour looks grey to me, and it would be nice if the buttons matched the shirt as they do with every other uniform except the Blue Jays, but both uniforms are really good.  One thing that I would like to see for some teams are pockets on the shirts, for most of them it would get in the way of the script, but the Pirates and the Pale Hose could do with one on the chest as they have the headspoon scripts.

Are you implying the Royals uniform should be powder blue? That wouldn't be historically accurate for a late 1910s/early 1920s-inspired design. I totally agree about your suggestion of front pockets, though. Would be cool to see. 

EDIT: I just caught @mcrosby's description of the Royals as being "double blue." Yeah, the uniform definitely looks regular gray to me, but I think you should keep it that way. 

1 minute ago, coco1997 said:

Are you implying the Royals uniform should be powder blue? That wouldn't be historically accurate for a late 1910s/early 1920s-inspired design. I totally agree about your suggestion of front pockets, though. Would be cool to see. 

It probably shouldn't be powder blue. Just to my eyes it looks gray and in the description it was "double blue". Myself, I would describe it as gray with a very, very subtle blue tint.

Semantics and mismatched buttons aside, it's a really nice uniform with several KC Monarchs touches. I dig it.

• Like 1

Just now, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

It probably shouldn't be powder blue. Just to my eyes it looks gray and in the description it was "double blue". Myself, I would describe it as gray with a very, very subtle blue tint.

Semantics and mismatched buttons aside, it's a really nice uniform with several KC Monarchs touches. I dig it.

Yep, I didn't catch mcrosby's description of the Royals until after I had read your comment and responded. My apologies.