Out Of This World Cup - Expansion Team Names

mcrosby

This has been a project I've thought of for quite some time. I believe I've posted about it in the Concept Thinktank thread and I reached out to some board members for possible collab. I finally got it off the ground and instead of posting the process here as a concept thread as I went I decided to reach out to kit manufacturer Olive & York. We've now got pre-orders for this ridiculous series open, and since they're all done I'll just dump all 10 kits here for you to critique. 

Racing Mercury FC - named with a classic soccer name for the speed at which Mercury orbits the Sun. The pattern takes from the false color images of Mercury. I started with a grey/black kit but couldn't pass up the opportunity for those wild colors.  

PresentationMercuryFront_2048x2048.jpg?v

Venusia FC - Really leaned into Boticelli for Venus, and a little inspiration from Atalanta BC. 

PresentationVenusFront_2048x2048.jpg?v=1

Earth Explorers - This 70s styled kit's moodboard was original NASL and vintage Earth Day posters. The pattern tilts at 23.5 degrees just like Earth's axis. 

PresentationEarthFront_2048x2048.jpg?v=1

Mars Rovers - Another classic soccer nickname. Rover tracks meander across the Martian Sunrise hooped kit.

PresentationMarsFront_2048x2048.jpg?v=16

Gigantus FC - The largest planet in our Solar System. I started with Joviantus, and the Juventus inspiration is obvious. I wanted to move a bit further from their brand so I went with a G/J logo instead of just J. Thus the name change. The kit was inspired by Forward Madison's Drip Kit, appropriate for the swirling storms of Jupiter. 

PresentationJupiterFront_2048x2048.jpg?v

Saturn SC - Used the rings to make a bit of an S for the crest, and used the rings again for the kit. I wasn't in love with this one until adding the rings to the sleeves. 

PresentationSaturnFront_2048x2048.jpg?v=

Uranus FC - The icy planet gets vertical pinstripes and a PSG style center stripe with vertical 'sponsor' to emulate the vertical rings of Uranus. Up the club! Up Uranus. 

PresentationUranusFront_2048x2048.jpg?v=

Neptune Blues FC - Blues is another classic nickname, this time the planet named for the god of the seas gets the water and trident treatment. 

PresentationNeptuneFront_2048x2048.jpg?v

Heart of Plutonian FC - This is the idea that started the whole project. The play on the name came after the photos of Pluto came back from New Horizons and we all saw the heart. I unabashedly enjoyed my own wit enough to try to start a whole series and here we are. Up the Jam Tarts.  

PresentationPlutoFront_2048x2048.jpg?v=1

Halley's Wanderers - Because 9 felt like a terrible number I decided to go for one more. Another classic soccer nickname, and a look straight out of 1986, the last time Earth was visited by Halley's. 

PresentationHalleysFront_2048x2048.jpg?v

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Applause 5

7 minutes ago, CDCLT said:

Stellar (heh) work! An excellent collection of logos and kits. I think Mercury and Jupiter have my favorites. I'd love to see more!

I've got logos for a few done already. I'm struggling to come up with something to properly represent the belts while still making them unique to each other. 

• Like 1

I think I've got the 6 expansion clubs figured. Three natural rivalries. Would love to hear your thoughts on the names. 

• Club Asteroid Belt Minors
    • named as an alternate name for asteroid is 'minor planet', and because it replaces CABJuniors perfectly. Club Atletico Kuiper Belt, the CARP monogram is easily turned into CAKB for this rivalry. 
  • Helios AFC
    • debated on SOL FC but Helios seemed far more unique
  • Luna FC
    • really didn't have other ideas for this name
  • Galilean United
    • Jupiter's 4 Galilean Moons. We're all sick of "United" and "City" but this felt appropriate
  • ΤΙΤΑΝΙΚΟΣ ΑΟ
    •  I went with Titanic AO as Saturn's 83 moons are named for the Greek titans, giants, Norse giants, Inuit giants, and Gallic Giants. The largest of the moons are named for the Titans, so they get the priority in branding. It's also close to Titan AE which is a completely underrated movie. 

Other options I had were

• Oort Cloud
  • Planet X
  • Ceres
  • Haumea
  • Various Trojans and Centaurs

For now I'm sticking to Solar System. If this project with O&Y goes well we'll probably expand the Cup beyond the Solar System. 

• Like 1

• mcrosby changed the title to Out Of This World Cup - Expansion Team Names

These are some good names for the new teams! The rationales make sense (I'll admit I had to look up AO in a soccer context but get it now that I did haha) and fit the locations well. Galilean United is an inspired use of that name; when it fits, it fits.

One suggestion I'll offer would be instead of just Luna FC, maybe Luna Rovers FC. Aside from being a name with meaning in the sport, it references the various (un)manned missions multiple nations have sent to the Moon over the past several decades. 

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

1 hour ago, Wildcomet said:

These are some good names for the new teams! The rationales make sense (I'll admit I had to look up AO in a soccer context but get it now that I did haha) and fit the locations well. Galilean United is an inspired use of that name; when it fits, it fits.

One suggestion I'll offer would be instead of just Luna FC, maybe Luna Rovers FC. Aside from being a name with meaning in the sport, it references the various (un)manned missions multiple nations have sent to the Moon over the past several decades. 

I would have gone Rovers but we've already got Mars Rovers. 

15 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

I would have gone Rovers but we've already got Mars Rovers. 

My bad, I forgot to look back at the other names before suggesting. Another thought for it came to mind though if you don't mind me sharing them out; Luna Eclipse FC. 

Hope you don't mind, this series just got my own mind going thinking of ideas. Looking forward to seeing what comes next!

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

34 minutes ago, Wildcomet said:

My bad, I forgot to look back at the other names before suggesting. Another thought for it came to mind though if you don't mind me sharing them out; Luna Eclipse FC. 

Hope you don't mind, this series just got my own mind going thinking of ideas. Looking forward to seeing what comes next!

Don't mind it at all! That's why I'm here. Can't release in full yet, because we may be doing a release for sale, but here are some teasers of the drafts I have for the 6 expansion clubs named above.

• 5 weeks later...