Denver Broncos concept

Darth Brooks

Uniwatch is doing a small contest asking people to redesign the Broncos uniform. (You don't win anything as far as I know.) This is my version. The logo is new, and with both the logo and uniform I tried to riff off the old but not copy it.

spacer.png

What do you think? What (if anything) do you like about it, what (if anything) do you think could be better?

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of the logo but man do I dig these uniforms! Also, I would prefer either stripeless pants or for them to have stripe colors like the white pants on the bottom right, meaning the blue pants have orange on the outside and white in the middle, for example. 

• Like 1

N3d5IIl.png

A bit of the thinking process with the stripes: First off the bottom right is in the style of a throwback. That plus the the right side helmets are close to, but not a duplicate of the classic uniform.

The current unis match the jersey and pant colors for dark blue and white, with an orange jersey going with white pants. (There have been variants where the blue goes with white, etc) I wanted blue and blue to go together and then to flip the other two between orange and white. I wanted one color on each pant and one on each stripe so that meant  going with the combination above. 

I thought about doing a shape with the stripe but they have that now and the point was to not duplicate what's already there. I could play with it.

It will be interesting to see what the other entries look like. I've stayed away from modern NFL teams because the uniforms are usually iconic. (I tend to believe that as a rule, whatever a team wore during the 70's was their best uni.)

On another forum someone asked to add orange to the horsey helmets.

spacer.png

One comment that cracked me up was how he liked the subtly of the middle one or the obnoxiousness of the right side one.

Someone else asked for more detail on the horse.

3WKFgLR.jpg

The far left one is maybe ok. The other two do not float my boat.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Darth Brooks said:

The current unis match the jersey and pant colors for dark blue and white, with an orange jersey going with white pants. (There have been variants where the blue goes with white, etc) I wanted blue and blue to go together and then to flip the other two between orange and white. I wanted one color on each pant and one on each stripe so that meant  going with the combination above. 

I totally understand the thought process, I just don't think it works that well. I think if you were to have two colors on the inserts on the jerseys and pants, it would be much more cohesive of a set.

12 hours ago, Darth Brooks said:

A bit of the thinking process with the stripes: First off the bottom right is in the style of a throwback. That plus the the right side helmets are close to, but not a duplicate of the classic uniform.

I thought about doing a shape with the stripe but they have that now and the point was to not duplicate what's already there. I could play with it.

It will be interesting to see what the other entries look like. I've stayed away from modern NFL teams because the uniforms are usually iconic. (I tend to believe that as a rule, whatever a team wore during the 70's was their best uni.)

spacer.png

One comment that cracked me up was how he liked the subtly of the middle one or the obnoxiousness of the right side one.

3WKFgLR.jpg

I absolutely love immersive, wraparound helmet styles, so I applaud the effort. I think from an isolated side view like this, it's really intriguing. But in real life, when you see it from various angles, I have a feeling it would look as if this was a really long two-headed horse with no rear end. 

Previous efforts at helmets like this avoided this in various ways. The Seahawks is focused only on the head, and not the rest of the body. The USFL's Jacksonville Bulls focused on the entire bull, but used motion lines to obscure most of the body, avoiding this two-headed creature effect. 

If anything, I'd maybe consider the Michigan Panthers style, in which the bucking Bronco is coming from the bottom of the helmet, as if on its hind legs. 

spacer.png

I thought of the pushmepullme effect right off the bat and if I had done the rear of the helmet I would have had the two decals separated by  a space. The other possibilities are a rearing horse like you said (although, looking at this, the orientation of the head needs to be moved down) or making a cut off that prevents the shape from wrapping around.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The helmet has to have orange somewhere to disconnect the concept from anything Colts related. 

Any from this post look like what you are envisioning?

On 12/5/2022 at 7:16 PM, Darth Brooks said:

spacer.png

3WKFgLR.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darth Brooks said:

Any from this post look like what you are envisioning?

Of the first three, I like the second one best.  Would one full-length orange tapered stripe work? Idk - like, a slight tweak to the current stripes, yet a nod to the design.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 1 month later...

Made some changes.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Redrew the horse to make him look less derpy and took him down to just the head and neck. That's where the interesting part of the image was and avoids the pushme-pullme effect. It ends up similar to the current helmet decal in that respect. The full bronco image wouldn't end up on the uniform but would be used for various team graphics. I didn't change the uniform from the last design.

I appreciate the effort, but to me this bronco reminds me of the Falcons old "petrified bird" logo. Now, in real life, that logo sells like hot cakes because people like stuff that's old -- same reason a lot of other more "hand-drawn" looking logos from the distant past end up on popular merch these days. 

But with that said, when it comes to re-imagining the Broncos, this logo isn't as clean as the old horse logo and not nearly as much as the new one. So, it really just doesn't fit a logical direction for them. 

To me, the first thing that pops out is that the horse looks petrified, much like the old bird. Also, the shape and detailing is just a bit too brutalist for me. Denver is a weird team because both their old and modern logos are fantastic. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I’m with dcarp1231, the Bronco is getting too detailed. I honestly don’t think you were too far off from something that would be unique and look professional enough to be in the NFL on your first draft. Definitely needs some orange added (maybe to the broncos mane? Or maybe just a thick outline?) 

To me that intial logo on the helmet, with the bronco running off the bottom side, reminds me of the knight in chess and if you pushed it a tad more and made the bronco look more upright like the LA Chargers old logo. I think it’s a great start it just need a touch up here and there!