2023 International Soccer (National Teams)

MJWalker45

15 hours ago, Needschat said:

I've been reading on social media how this has made it impossible for Berhalter to stay with the Men's Team. 

Alternatively, I've also read some analysis suggesting that the response to this might indicate how U.S. Soccer may be rallying behind Berhalter. The response was kicked-off yesterday by a pre-emptive statement by Berhalter before the accusations ever came to light, which suggests an organized strategy that likely involved executive, legal and communications professionals in the organization. 

That doesn't make it a certainty that they won't boot him, but it's definitely a defensive posture that seems to favor Berhalter. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Alternatively, I've also read some analysis suggesting that the response to this might indicate how U.S. Soccer may be rallying behind Berhalter. The response was kicked-off yesterday by a pre-emptive statement by Berhalter before the accusations ever came to light, which suggests an organized strategy that likely involved executive, legal and communications professionals in the organization. 

That doesn't make it a certainty that they won't boot him, but it's definitely a defensive posture that seems to favor Berhalter. 

Something that no one is asking is what unwritten, or written rules Claudio Reyna may have broken by how he and his wife went after Berhalter with the USSF. Reyna is currently the general manger of Austin FC, and word is that he had a role in protecting David Villa when both were at NYCFC. I'm sure MLS won't say anything, but I think that should have triggered some type of review as to MLS employees talking directly to USSF leadership. People are also saying insane things like Gregg sat Gio because Claudio ended the loan deal of Gregg's son, sending him back to Columbus Crew.  Which makes no sense, because it's not like Seb got a lot of opportunities in Austin, so going back to his home team is a normal part of loan deals. Never mind that we know that Gio was hot dogging it and was called out by his fellow teammates.  

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The Federation is now in an impossible spot, as a decision on Berhalter's future in either direction will seem like it was influenced by a blackmail attempt.

I think the only non-sporting reason this should be a mark against Berhalter is that this incident lays bare the problems with running the federation as a country club for aging jocks. A 2002 World Cup alum who works on the club side is mad at a 2002 World Cup alum who runs the men's team, so he complains to a 2002 World Cup alum who's sporting director and a 2002 World Cup alum who's general manager. (Of Stewart and McBride, I don't even know who is whose boss.) The whole setup is ripe for petty dramas and grudges, it's embarrassingly old-boys-club when you look at it. One would hope a strong outside voice would be able to keep the collective eye on the ball, rather than get bogged down in past baggage.

• Like 4

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

3 minutes ago, Digby said:

The Federation is now in an impossible spot, as a decision on Berhalter's future in either direction will seem like it was influenced by a blackmail attempt.

I think the only non-sporting reason this should be a mark against Berhalter is that this incident lays bare the problems with running the federation as a country club for aging jocks. A 2002 World Cup alum who works on the club side is mad at a 2002 World Cup alum who runs the men's team, so he complains to a 2002 World Cup alum who's sporting director and a 2002 World Cup alum who's general manager. (Of Stewart and McBride, I don't even know who is whose boss.) The whole setup is ripe for petty dramas and grudges, it's embarrassingly old-boys-club when you look at it. One would hope a strong outside voice would be able to keep the collective eye on the ball, rather than get bogged down in past baggage.

Just bring in Jose Mourinho as coach. When he calls out players we'll all forget that everyone lost their minds when Berhalter did it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Just bring in Jose Mourinho as coach. When he calls out players we'll all forget that everyone lost their minds when Berhalter did it. 

He's a three-year coach though. Wouldn't even make it to the World Cup before the inevitable trainwreck! Anyway, I'd love to know if any big-name European or South American coach with UCL pedigree would even want the USA job.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2023/01/adidas-lose-court-case-over-use-of.html

Adidas tried to take on Thom Browne for copyright infringement and lost.  Thom Brown is a clothing brand that specializes in overpriced suits, some of which feature four stripes on the sleeves. adidas tried saying the four stripes could be confused for adidas, though I don't think they have a bespoke suit collection. In fact, adidas teams go with other sources for their travel suits.

Thom Browne: Gray 4-Bar Blazer | SSENSE

https://www.soccerbible.com/lifestyle/clothing/2023/01/juventus-loro-piana-unveil-latest-formalwear-collection/

juve 1-min.jpg

salah 3-min.jpg

adidas did collaborate with Gucci for this outfit, however. 

https://www.soccerbible.com/news/2022/12/mo-salah-is-first-protagonist-in-new-series-from-gq-gucci/

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Who's in worse shape right now, Mexico or US Soccer?

Mexico seems to be in a historic (for them) talent drought, so from that perspective that's a big issue. Stewart was probably a big role in the largely successful four-year plan of rebuilding the MNT from basically zero, though, so this could be a big loss for US Soccer if they don't get the replacement hire right (to say nothing of how this likely prolongs the team's lack of a head coach).

• Like 1

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/south-america-hold-prestigious-copa-180020804.html

We all knew this was likely to happen. It will be interesting to see who gets the three other Concacaf slots after USA, Mexico and Canada. 

Sites for Copa America weren’t announced Friday, but they will likely be in cities already chosen as hosts for the men’s World Cup in 2026. The United States, Canada and Mexico are co-hosting that tournament.

The Copa America announcement was part of a larger agreement between Conmebol, the South American federation, and Concacaf, which is comprised of teams from Central and North America and the Caribbean. The confederations also will stage a 12-team women’s tournament in 2024 in the United States, and a club competition featuring the top two teams from each confederation.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/gold-cup/2023/2/2/23583978/report-2025-gold-cup-24-teams-usa-usmnt-mexico-canada

A 24 team Concacaf Gold Cup is being considered for 2025. I guess this is one way to work out the kinks of the 2026 World Cup.

"The 24-team tournament would include 16 national teams from Concacaf, and it would also include two teams each from Conmebol (South America), UEFA (Europe), AFC (Asia), and CAF (Africa). The 2025 Gold Cup would be played at each of the 16 World Cup host venues as a test run for the 2026 World Cup".

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

https://www.espn.com/soccer/mexico-mex/story/4872919/sources-tigres-diego-cocca-emerges-as-top-candidate-for-mexico-coaching-job

Mexico will not be going with Bielsa, according to this report. I know Tigres have been one of the better teams in the league for the last 5 years, but I think Mexico should have been willing to make a hire from outside Liga MX clubs. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.espn.com/soccer/concacaf-nations-league/story/4889538/concacaf-reveals-revamped-world-cupcopa-america-qualifying

Qualifying setups for 2026 World Cup, and the 2024 Copa America in the United States, have been released. 

"Starting with the 2023-24 edition of the CONCACAF Nations League, which will begin in September of 2023, League A will be expanded from 12 to 16 teams, with the competition also serving as the qualifying process for the 2024 Copa America, which is being held in the U.S.

The 2023-24 CNL will see the 12 lowest ranked teams in League A take part in a group stage which will be comprised of two groups of six teams each, with each team playing a total of four games (two at home and two away). The top two finishers in each group will advance to the quarterfinal stage, where they will be joined by the four highest ranked teams in League A, based on the March 2023 FIFA rankings. Currently this consists of Canada, Costa Rica, Mexico and the United States.

The quarterfinals will be played over two legs with the winners automatically qualifying for the 2024 Copa America, as well as the CNL finals. The four losers will square off in play-in games to determine the two remaining qualifiers for Copa America".

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...