2023 International Soccer (National Teams)

MJWalker45

US was thoroughly dominant tonight in probably our most impressive performance against Canada in the last few years (once Canada became good). Overall an impressive 5-0 aggregate against our two biggest rivals. 

I really hope Gregg was watching closely and seeing how great the team was playing with the attacking freedom they had in these past two games. Gregg's system can work if he's playing his best XI and if he allows his talented players to use their talent. But I have to say, it's a little concerning that the USMNT has looked far more explosively offensively under a first-time interim manager than at any point during Gregg's tenure. It looked natural out there for the guys

I think we saw how great Reyna is and how vital he is to unlocking the team's offensive prowess. I'm thrilled that Pulisic finally let someone else take the free-kicks/corners and Reyna is the perfect man to fill that role. His delivery was excellent, time and time again. His link up centrally with Balogun was what we were all hoping for. I hope Gregg saw that and came to the same conclusion that everyone else should have come to and that is to play Reyna at the 10 flanked by Pulisic and Weah with Balogun at the 9. They all play off each other so well.

Speaking of Balogun, I thought he played a really good game tonight. His runs were excellent, his pace was excellent and dynamic, and his one-time finish on his goal was exactly the kind of quality the US has been sorely lacking with it's #9 spot. Once the team and Flo get used to each other, this team will be that much more dangerous of an opponent now that we finally have a really good striker. 

I really hope these two games weren't the last time the USMNT plays so freely offensively. If Gregg can understand that, the US will be better for it.

EDIT: I also have to add how damn good Joe Scally was tonight. He, along with the rest of the team, shut Davies down. Made a world-class player a non-factor. He's going to present a little problem for the USMNT because of how good he is defensively in comparison to Dest. Dest is a great offensive RB, but sometimes can be poor defensively. Scally is essentially the opposite. Also need to mention Chris Richards who was phenomenal tonight. He's going to become a permanent feature on the backline for the USMNT. Easily our best CB in the pool.

• Like 3

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I think the offensive spark we've seen in these last two games has been largely:

- Balogun is a true number 9 who's also in excellent form from his club season. Exactly the piece that was missing last fall.

- Reyna, Pulisic, and Weah on the field together. Lost in all the Gio drama of last year is that he didn't get much playing time because of injuries, and even when he did, some other key cog would be hurt. The team slogged through most of qualifying with patched-up lineups, which wasn't a crisis as the depth was mostly there, but we didn't see as "ideal" as we did last night. (To me that explained the relative underperformance of the USMNT in WCQs, as well -- that and bad luck.)

My only question with this eleven is... what do you do with Adams when he's back? He seemed more integral to the team when he was playing, but also plays much differently than Musah. If Reyna stays healthy and out of trouble, he's gotta start, so figuring out which of the MMA becomes your game-killing second-half sub...

I've also been very impressed with Pulisic in these games. His play has been excellent, and it seems like he's really embracing his leadership role, which was a thing I was never sure he'd be comfortable with. Considering how his club season went those things are even more impressive. (Similarly, it's wild how Matt Turner steps into USMNT games cold and looks like the best keeper in the world. Playing time is overrated?)

Canada has had a nice couple of years there but the shine is wearing off some. I don't think they can keep up with top teams consistently and I don't trust their ability to keep goals out. Mexico looks like they might be doomed for a generation; if there were any brains anywhere in Mexican soccer they might take that as a sign to reboot their culture, but I won't hold my breath.

• Like 2

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

5 hours ago, Digby said:

My only question with this eleven is... what do you do with Adams when he's back? He seemed more integral to the team when he was playing, but also plays much differently than Musah. If Reyna stays healthy and out of trouble, he's gotta start, so figuring out which of the MMA becomes your game-killing second-half sub...

What a problem to have though. The odd man out is going to have to be either McKinnie or Musah which is insane to say because Weston is arguably the USMNT's best player when he's in form and Musah is our best ball-carrying forward CDM and truly dynamic, but Gio and Adams are too important to the team's success IMO. Hopefully it'll be a flexible option for the US where sometimes they can play Weston, Gio and Adams, and Musah is the 2nd half sub for either Weston or Adams. But than other games it might be better if Musah and Adams are playing as dual 6's backing up the front 4 of Gio, Pulisic, Weah and Balo. 

I was also wondering about the possibility of Dest being a back-up for Weah if Scally started the game at RB. We all agree that Dest has something dynamic offensively but sometimes his defense is lacking (which is why he's been struggling with his club form). The US plays so well defensively when Scally and Jedi are the team's two FB's. Dest has gotten some time with AC Milan as both an attacking midfielder and defensively midfielder (always on the right side) so it could be a potential option to not lose offensively scoring chances when Weah needs a sub. 

Again, what a problem for the US to have. We have too many talented players that are fully deserving of being in the starting eleven. 

• Like 2

Mexico getting rid of Cocca after 7 games is just pathetic. He leaves with a 3W-3D-1L record in seven games. With pretty much an A level side playing in Gold Cup, in comparison to the USA anyway, things are set up to help them get back on track pretty quick in the group stages. Watching the Panama/Mexico game, the Mexican players were still happier to pick fights than to play the game, so I can see that as a reason to fire him. Mexican fans sitting out that game was a factor as well. With the way those fans acted this weekend, SUM, or whoever is booking Mexico games in the US, may as well start setting those games up back in Mexico instead. It should be interesting to see who even applies for the job now. 

As far as Gold Cup, I wonder what Jamaica will be capable of since Demarai Gray is now on the roster. They still do have to play the USA in Group A though. 

Jamaica announce their 2023 CONCACAF Gold Cup Squad : r/soccer

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2023-06-20 at 2:14 PM, MJWalker45 said:

As far as Gold Cup, I wonder what Jamaica will be capable of since Demarai Gray is now on the roster. They still do have to play the USA in Group A though. 

They played pretty well! Jamaica's always going to have issues with chemistry and training times right now but it was cool to see them with all that PL talent last night. Gave the USA a good scare, who may have trouble having trotted out a C squad for this tournament.

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/37938761/fifa-opts-rainbow-armband-women-world-cup

Allowed armband designs for the Women's World Cup:

The eight armband designs chosen correspond to the eight rounds of matches at the tournament. Each will promote awareness of a cause under the theme of "Football Unites the World."

The captains will be given three options for which armband they wear.

They can either wear the "Football Unites the World" armband throughout, an armband corresponding to one of the eight causes, or they can wear the armband allocated for each round.

The eight themes chosen by FIFA and the 32 nations are:

Unite for Inclusion -- in partnership with UN Human Rights
Unite for Indigenous Peoples -- in partnership with UN Human Rights
Unite for Gender Equality -- in partnership with UN Women
Unite for Peace -- in partnership with UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency
Unite for Education for All -- in partnership with the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
Unite for Zero Hunger -- in partnership with the UN World Food Programme
Unite for Ending Violence Against Women -- in partnership with UN Women
Football is Joy, Peace, Love, Hope & Passion -- in partnership with the World Health Organization (WHO)

These themes will also be promoted on specific matchdays with the messages being broadcast on advertising hoardings and flags inside the stadiums.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...

C-squad USMNT :censored:s around too much and finds out indeed, going out in the semis to Panama. The "Berhalter is corrupt and awful but we should hire Callaghan" Twitter contingent frantically search for a new bottle of glue to sniff.

• Like 1

What's the key phrase here, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes", yeah?

Kind of glad the US lost. They were not taking this tournament seriously at all and thought they could win with a seriously subpar roster against the other team's A/B rosters. Outside of a handful of players (namely Turner, Miles (even though he had a bad tournament), Ferreira, Cowell, Neal, Slonina) the rest of the squad simply isn't good enough to play for the National Team in major tournaments. Players like Roldan, Yedlin, Long, Miazga, Morris, Sands, and Yueill should have played their last competitive games for the NT. Appreciate their contributions to the USMNT, especially both Yedlin and Morris, but they are not good at this level anymore.

On a side tangent I really wish CONCACAF would host this tournament every 4 years instead of every two, especially with Nations League coming into existence and with the priority that gets from the Federation's in the region.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Kind of glad the US lost. They were not taking this tournament seriously at all and thought they could win with a seriously subpar roster against the other team's A/B rosters. Outside of a handful of players (namely Turner, Miles (even though he had a bad tournament), Ferreira, Cowell, Neal, Slonina) the rest of the squad simply isn't good enough to play for the National Team in major tournaments.

I feel like this summer's tournament was just placed in a weird timeline. The top European teams are already playing friendlies again, and those players that could have been available decided that club football was much more important, especially for the guys that are now in the process of changing teams. The USA looked like the U21's vs Uruguay earlier this year. They were getting moved around and had no bite. Ferreira's ball in regulation just missed the right post, but that was the best shot they had all night and there's no way you're winning when that's your best shot in 90 minutes.  Mexico is set up to win the tournament now, but I wonder how long a leash their head coach has now, even with a 3-0 win in the semifinal?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The other weird thing about the tournament placement is coming right on the heels of Nations League's finals. Not sure how much of that is still residual spillover from the COVID years and the winter World Cup, or how much is the result of Concacaf's never-ending tinkering with formats.

Part of me thinks there ought to be value in these JV tournaments to build a deeper pool and evaluate fringe guys who've just been unlucky with National Team minutes previously but, on the other hand, maybe that's what we have U-23 teams for.

Probably good for the US fed to get taken down a peg after a few years of relative success. The program overall may be mostly healthy but not to the point of "we'll take down Concacaf with a C-squad, hell we don't even need to hire a coach" attitudes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Germany and Brazil walkovers today. First true blowouts of the competition have come from Japan, Germany and Brazil. I was surprised to see Morocco play so poorly, but it is against a team that's got a lot to prove in Germany since they were struggling going into the tournament. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

FIFA should slap this down just out of common decency. But they wouldn't. Mbappe reportedly won't take the bait, but that right there would be enough to trigger a FFP investigation in my opinion. 

UPDATE: PSG have accepted the bid, now we wait to see what Mbappe says, and what the money actually is. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• MJWalker45 changed the title to 2023 International Soccer (National Teams)

Based on today's Nigeria vs Australia result, both hosts could be eliminated in the group stages this year. Australia must beat Canada to make it through. New Zealand need the Philippines to lose or tie with Norway and they must beat or tie Switzerland.  If Norway beats the Philippines, New Zealand needs to tie Switzerland and hope that Norway wins by only one goal. Then it goes to tiebreakers. 

Australia must beat Canada who, with Nigeria, has 4 points. A Nigeria loss to Ireland is possible, but not likely based on how Ireland has looked all tournament. Were that to happen, it comes down to goal differential and that last minute goal they scored today becomes even bigger. 

The USA tied Netherlands, which is what I thought would happen. But Vlatko used only one sub the whole game instead of risking a change in momentum by using his bench. Coaching not to lose gives your critics plenty of ammunition, so we'll see if not rolling the dice bites him in the backside. I was also disappointed in the center referee who handed out only one yellow card in the match. Lindsey Horan was cleared out with an elbow and body check prior to the tying goal, but nothing was given to Van de Donk. Multiple times Dutch players pulled down Crystal Dunn or clipped her heels, but they weren't even given warnings. Barring anything crazy on the final group day, they'll likely go in USA at 1 and the Netherlands at 2 unless the Dutch go on a scoring tear and the USA just walks through the match with Portugal. At the moment the USA is at +2.  

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I feel about Vlatko the way the rage-frothing tweeters feel about Berhalter. How does depth become a problem for a USWNT? Weird lack of adjustments even when the team looks disjointed. All the xG models suggested that a draw was the fair result but it felt to me a bit like the USA got unlucky with some coin-flip shots in the second half... and that refereeing performance, if you can call it that.

• Like 1