Players on the NBA 50 Greatest players not in hall

Retromaniac

The following are current or former NBA players that are members of the 50 greatest players, dubbed in 1996 as a part of the NBA's 50th anniversary, that have yet to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. An asterisk indicates active player.

Charles Barkley

Patrick Ewing

Michael Jordan

Karl Malone*

Hakeem Olajuwon

Shaquille O'Neal*

Scottie Pippen*

David Robinson

John Stockton

well lets see, now you have news that is almost 10 years old. do you wanna know why they arent in the hall yet? its because they havent been retired long enough to be! that is common knowledge. this crap is starting to become very very very very very annoying! stick with topics that are relevant to the PRESENT!

why is scottie pippen on the list?  was he really that good?

Pippen was a solid player who thrived because of Jordan. Never could lead the team by himself, at times pouted and took himself out. He never won a championship without Jordan. His talent was definitely overblown, it sure helped playing with MJ during his prime. IMO he is not hall worthy, but will probably make it just off rep. He has very solid numbers after 17 years in the league, but I don't think they warrant Hall of Fame enshrinement.

# Six-time NBA World Champion (1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997 and 1998)

# Name is scattered across the NBA?s all-time leader board: 40th in total points (18,940), fourth in steals (2,307), tied for 16th in steals per game (1.96), 23rd in assists (6,135), 13th in minutes (41,069), 16th in minutes per game (34.9), 32nd in three-point field goals made (978)

# Ranked first in Bulls history with 664 three-pointers and 2,031 three-point field goals attempted

# Ranked second in Bulls history in: points (15,123), field goals (5,991), field goal attempts (12,444), free throws attempted (3,576), offensive rebounds (1,687), defensive rebounds (4,039), assists (4,494), steals (1,792), seasons played (12), games played (856) and minutes (30,269)

# Ranked third in Bulls history with 5,726 rebounds and 774 blocked shots

# Participated in postseason play in 16 of his 17 NBA seasons, making the playoffs in each of his first 16 seasons

# Second in NBA history with 208 playoff appearances (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, 237)

# Owner of two NBA Finals records: most three-point field goals attempted in a career (117), most three-point field goals made in one game (7, tied with Kenny Smith)

# Holds career playoff record for most three-point field goals attempted (660)

# Member of the NBA All-Defensive Team from 1991-2000 (First Team member seven times)

# Selected as one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History in 1996

# Seven-time NBA All Star (1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1997)

# 1994 All-Star Game MVP

# Made All-NBA seven straight years (1992-1998)

# Two-time Olympic gold medal winner

# Has recorded 20 career triple-doubles, including four in the playoffs

# Ranked atop the all-time All-Star Game leader board in 3FGA with 22 (second), 3FG made with 7 (tied for 4th) and steals with 17 (eighth)

# Career highs of 47 points, 18 rebounds, 15 assists, 9 steals and 5 blocked shots

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

honestly I dont think any of them will make it in, if they havent already who says they will at all.

Yea, because Barkley, Ewing, Jordan, Malone, Olajuwon, Shaq, The Admiral and Stockton aren't 8 of the best who've ever played the game.

Each of them makes it in without question. The only debate is Scottie Pippen - while you can't argue his record, I would have to agree that his success was only due to being Robin to MJ's Batman. But in any event, all 9 will be in the HOF - guaranteed.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

honestly I dont think any of them will make it in, if they havent already who says they will at all.

Yea, because Barkley, Ewing, Jordan, Malone, Olajuwon, Shaq, The Admiral and Stockton aren't 8 of the best who've ever played the game.

Each of them makes it in without question. The only debate is Scottie Pippen - while you can't argue his record, I would have to agree that his success was only due to being Robin to MJ's Batman. But in any event, all 9 will be in the HOF - guaranteed.

Pippen would have been a Hall of Fame player even without Jordan. He's on the same level as Gary Payton or Chris Mullin.

What bites my butt is that Adrian Dantley hasn't even made it in yet!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

that was a joke by the way...

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Pippen would have been a Hall of Fame player even without Jordan. He's on the same level as Gary Payton or Chris Mullin.

What bites my butt is that Adrian Dantley hasn't even made it in yet!

Dantley may have a little of a shot at the Hall from purely a scoring standpoint, I think he's in the top 10 all-time, or atleast close. Never won a championship.

Payton and Mullin are not Hall worty either. Neither has won a championship, or been a dominant figure in the league. Pippen atleast was a major cog in 6 championships.

If I sound like I am harping on Championships, I don't mean to. But everyone knows championships win votes, even for #2 players on a team. Pippen was definitely the #2 man on the Bulls and Dantley(Jazz), Payton(Sonics), Mullin(Warriors) were their primary teams #1; but, none led their primary to the finals let alone won. So Pippens 6 rings to the other threes combined zero gives him an edge. Even with all that said, I still don't think Pippen should get in.

To me a guy should have to be a first ballot guy to get in the Hall, any Hall. What makes a guy HOF worthy on his 6th vote and not the previous 5. A HOFer is a guy who would always be voted in, not take 4,5,6 years to have voters convinced he deserves it. They have five years after they retire for their career to be looked at and make a case. If after those five years the people who vote don't beleive they should be there drop them off. Today the Halls of Fame are being littered by guys who were very good players, just not HOFers. I think it dimishes guys who are truly great. Gary Carter is a prime example. It took him 8 years, did his career become better in those 8 years? No. Voters finally just got tired of the campaign every year. Now Carter shares a spot next to Bench, and I think that takes just a little luster off what Bench did.

semperfi.gif

If I sound like I am harping on Championships, I don't mean to. But everyone knows championships win votes, even for #2 players on a team. Pippen was definitely the #2 man on the Bulls and Dantley(Jazz), Payton(Sonics), Mullin(Warriors) were their primary teams #1; but, none led their primary to the finals let alone won. So Pippens 6 rings to the other threes combined zero gives him an edge. Even with all that said, I still don't think Pippen should get in.

Today the Halls of Fame are being littered by guys who were very good players, just not HOFers. I think it dimishes guys who are truly great. Gary Carter is a prime example. It took him 8 years, did his career become better in those 8 years? No. Voters finally just got tired of the campaign every year. Now Carter shares a spot next to Bench, and I think that takes just a little luster off what Bench did.

Just to point out... while it's debateable whether it was Shawn Kemp or the Glove who led them there, the Sonics did make the finals in '96, MJ's first championship back.

To your second point, I agree to an extent. Carter's career did not get better in those 8 years, but sometimes it's simply about the competition he's facing in a given year to get in. For instance, a player trying to get in the Pro Football HOF would've had a tough year this year, with Elway and Sanders becoming eligible (and there's a few other good QB's like Marino and Young who should be getting busts soon)... it's not to say they deserve it or don't, but you have to take into account who else is eligible at the time.

Eventually we will reach a point in sports where the heroes of the past will have been exhausted, and if sports continues with their tradition of 4 new players every year, that means eventually we will reach a point where the top 4 players from each draft class would get in... meaning there could be as many as 50 HOF'ers in the league at the same time (if everyone had a 12-13 year career... many HOF'ers go well beyond that). THAT would be watering down the HOF's.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Gary Carter is a prime example. It took him 8 years, did his career become better in those 8 years? No. Voters finally just got tired of the campaign every year. Now Carter shares a spot next to Bench, and I think that takes just a little luster off what Bench did.

Not necessarily. Bench didn't have to wait to get voted in, so this speaks volumes about his skill level. It's pretty much agreed on that all other catchers are (and possibly will always be) compared to Bench. Carter waited several years, but IMO he's still worthy. He may not have had the numbers Bench had in certain areas, but he was still very productive and meant so much to the Mets. During his career, it was often said that he deserved a spot in Cooperstown, and even right before he retired these things were being said.

Keep in mind that not all catchers can be like Bench. If the voters refused to recognize other great catchers who may not have been as prolific as Bench, but who still meant a lot to their teams and to the game, there would be a serious dearth of backstops in Cooperstown. Of course, there aren't many enshrined now, but that's a different story.

What upsets me is when an 'okay' or a 'good' player like Tony Perez hangs on for so long, and then finally gets voted in because of sympathy. Sure, he racked up the stats, and played on several All-Star teams, but he was never a great or dominant player, and he was always at least the fourth-best player on his team. Orlando Cepeda is comparable, but at least he won an MVP, so I can let him slide. All I have to say is, "Thank goodness Harold Baines didn't get 3000 hits!"

tyson.jpg

You have to look at what Pippen did after Jordan - you see, then you get a picture of the player he truly is: a whiner, a crybaby, and a guy who was not, is not, and will never be a Hall-of-Fame caliber player.

He was good, but the Hall-of-Fame is for the greats.

That's two comments where it's sounded like you've been smoking weed! Where do you come from man? :therock:

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I've never doubted Pippen's credentials, but I have to agree that he is a bit of a whiner. I'll never forget the time Michael Finley was selected over him to play in the All-Star Game. Pippen went on a rant about how much more deserving he was than Finley, who was barely starting to come into his own as a star. Finley just shrugged it off, like a true pro. That incident changed my perception of Pippen forever.

tyson.jpg

Gary Carter is a prime example. It took him 8 years, did his career become better in those 8 years? No. Voters finally just got tired of the campaign every year. Now Carter shares a spot next to Bench, and I think that takes just a little luster off what Bench did.

Not necessarily. Bench didn't have to wait to get voted in, so this speaks volumes about his skill level. It's pretty much agreed on that all other catchers are (and possibly will always be) compared to Bench. Carter waited several years, but IMO he's still worthy. He may not have had the numbers Bench had in certain areas, but he was still very productive and meant so much to the Mets. During his career, it was often said that he deserved a spot in Cooperstown, and even right before he retired these things were being said.

Keep in mind that not all catchers can be like Bench. If the voters refused to recognize other great catchers who may not have been as prolific as Bench, but who still meant a lot to their teams and to the game, there would be a serious dearth of backstops in Cooperstown. Of course, there aren't many enshrined now, but that's a different story.

What upsets me is when an 'okay' or a 'good' player like Tony Perez hangs on for so long, and then finally gets voted in because of sympathy. Sure, he racked up the stats, and played on several All-Star teams, but he was never a great or dominant player, and he was always at least the fourth-best player on his team. Orlando Cepeda is comparable, but at least he won an MVP, so I can let him slide. All I have to say is, "Thank goodness Harold Baines didn't get 3000 hits!"

Bench waited like everyone else does, he was a first ballot inductee, after his 5 year wait.

Carter hung on for 8 votes after his initial eligibilty, Perez waited 9. Atleast Perez was a big part of the Big Red Machine. There aren't that many catchers in Cooperstown, because offense not defence gets you inducted.

As to SyPhi's point on competition, the only thing that matters is how many votes you get. Lack of competition is what allows average players to get in. Perez got in with Fisk, a weak class that also included Carter. Carter got in with Murray. Outside of Murray a weak class.

You need to be named on 75% of the ballots. Each voters gets to vote for 10 men. There is no max on how many guys can go in in any given year. If ten worthy people retired all at once they could all be elected. Even after 8 years he only got 78.02&, Perez had 77.15% after 9 years. Two of the lowest numbers for guys not elected in their first year. A player worth induction is worthy if it takes them 1 maybe 2 votes, but not 8 or 9 votes. Those guys get in from pity, not from accomplishments.

I have heard some guys will not vote for anyone on their first ballot. That would change if a player only had one or two years of eligibility.

semperfi.gif

Bench waited like everyone else does, he was a first ballot inductee, after his 5 year wait.

I think this pretty much goes without saying.

Perez got in with Fisk, a weak class that also included Carter

I dont' see how Fisk can be considered a 'weak' nominee. Up until Piazza came along, he was THE definitive offensive catcher in MLB.

Atleast Perez was a big part of the Big Red Machine.

Perez was part of great teams, and ultimately this helped his cause, but by himself, he was merely 'good', and not 'great'.

tyson.jpg

Archived