2024 Stadium Series by DT Concepts — Set Four ARI vs. LAK 3/14

DTConcepts

Howdy guys. I'm back with another series, this time creating a bunch of potential matchups for the 2024 NHL Stadium Series, with jerseys to match. Since the league has yet to announce which clubs will take it outside next season, I decided to make a bunch of speculative matchups between teams that have yet to square off in the great outdoors.

Here are some links to take you to the various matchups and updates I've posted so far:

COL vs. MINUpdate 2/28

NYI vs. PITUpdate 3/3, Update 3/6

STL vs. CHI

ARI vs. LAK

Anyways, let's move on to the first installment. I've got two uniforms for two Central Division clubs whose rivalry has grown deeper and deeper over the last 10-odd years: The Colorado Avalanche and Minnesota Wild.

0zm5VKW.png

Each jersey has a similar design principle, in that they have one base color and two flourishing colors. The Avalanche's jersey is largely inspired by the Colorado state flag, with the Colorado 'C' becoming the main crest. The arms feature a subtle nod to the Denver flag, and the pants feature individual player numbers and the same Colorado flag striping as the jersey. The Wild's uniform dips its toe into the North Stars' identity with its color scheme, but goes all-in on the Wild otherwise. The team's primary logo is blown up to cover the whole chest, and elements of the logo's design become striping elements across the entire uniform.

Just for s---- and giggles, I made a version of the Avs jersey with white pants too. It feels much more Stadium Series-y, but I like the blue pants better personally. What do you think?

D7XnAYB.png

I'll have the next matchup ready to post in the next couple days. In the meantime, let me know what you think of these first jersey designs!

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

Loving colorado's colors, but feel like they could get away with their current font just fine. This one feels too standard/blocky.

Take my credit card info and charge whatever amount you feel is appropriate for that Minnesota one, Jesus Christ it's gorgeous!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Colorado's pants (the white ones especially) feel like they need some red to cohere with the jersey. I'd be curious to see either red or yellow numbers to match the flag C a bit better; that might fix that other problem for me. Also second JJ Anderes's suggestion about the font.

Despite my nitpicks, it's overall a really nice look!

How would the back of that Minnesota jersey look? That would make a big difference to me about how I feel about it, I think...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, vtgco said:

How would the back of that Minnesota jersey look? That would make a big difference to me about how I feel about it, I think...

Part of the benefit of using the template I do is not having to worry about stuff like this. I imagine it'd probably look something like the Capitals' 2023 Stadium Series jerseys, which also featured a massive logo on the chest, in that the design just kind of stops under the arms, leaving the back of the jersey open for the name and number.

23 hours ago, JJ Anderes said:

Loving colorado's colors, but feel like they could get away with their current font just fine. This one feels too standard/blocky.

1 hour ago, johne9109 said:

I agree it'd be interesting to see the Avs uni with red pants

Understood. Here are a bunch of revised Avs jerseys, all of which use the team's original number font. I also mocked up red pants, just to see how it'd look. Not terrible, but not my favorite.

Jx3t408.png8s2fzyj.pngKdsE40O.png

I changed the colors on the white pants' number, but left the blue ones intact. Making the numbers red on both the blue pants and blue jersey upended the uniform's color balance, and having just red pant numbers didn't make much sense either. I get wanting to match the crest, but I think having the numbers be a different color helps keep the red from being too overpowering.

What do you think of these? I'll have the next matchup ready to post within the next day or two.

• Like 2

• DTConcepts changed the title to 2024 Stadium Series by DT Concepts — Set One, COL vs. MIN Updated 2/28
19 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Part of the benefit of using the template I do is not having to worry about stuff like this. I imagine it'd probably look something like the Capitals' 2023 Stadium Series jerseys, which also featured a massive logo on the chest, in that the design just kind of stops under the arms, leaving the back of the jersey open for the name and number.

Hmmm okay not sure how I feel about that but I guess that makes sense. Idk if having small trees like on the front as a hem stripe would work but I think that'd be better than nothing...

The red pants look great for Colorado! Definitely helps to balance out the look IMO.

• Like 1

Maybe one day I'll revisit the Wild's jersey and do a flat mockup for it. But for now, I'm marching on over to the Eastern Conference for the next theoretical matchup. These two teams have one of the fiercest rivalries in the modern NHL, two of the most spirited fanbases in hockey, and some of the biggest stars in the league. Giving them an outdoor game seems like a no-brainer.

5aJrXl2.png

Like the Avs and Wild jerseys, I tried to employ the same design philosophy behind both of these uniforms. They're both two-color throwbacks to the '90s with modern flourishes — like if the Reverse Retro program extended to the Stadium Series. The Islanders' uniform draw heavily from their old 1990s "wave" jerseys, but bring the design into the modern-age with a more subtle striping pattern and color scheme. The Penguins' uniform does much of the same,  taking cues from the team's first Robopen jersey and their Vegas gold uniform.

It's also a color vs. color matchup, because frankly the NHL needs more of those.

How are we feeling about these?

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• DTConcepts changed the title to 2024 Stadium Series by DT Concepts — Set Two, NYI vs. PIT 3/1
2 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Maybe one day I'll revisit the Wild's jersey and do a flat mockup for it. But for now, I'm marching on over to the Eastern Conference for the next theoretical matchup. These two teams have one of the fiercest rivalries in the modern NHL, two of the most spirited fanbases in hockey, and some of the biggest stars in the league. Giving them an outdoor game seems like a no-brainer.

5aJrXl2.png

Like the Avs and Wild jerseys, I tried to employ the same design philosophy behind both of these uniforms. They're both two-color throwbacks to the '90s with modern flourishes — like if the Reverse Retro program extended to the Stadium Series. The Islanders' uniform draw heavily from their old 1990s "wave" jerseys, but bring the design into the modern-age with a more subtle striping pattern and color scheme. The Penguins' uniform does much of the same,  taking cues from the team's first Robopen jersey and their Vegas gold uniform.

It's also a color vs. color matchup, because frankly the NHL needs more of those.

How are we feeling about these?

Islanders is about what you would expect from them. I dont know what it is, but there's just something about their branding that does not work for me. It's done very well though. The Pens is great. I would just say maybe add a black stroke around the main logo. The white gets kinda lost in the yellow. The wordmark on the shorts is standout. Is there a particular inspiration for that?

ZUH86xc.png

I would agree that the robopenguin needs a black outline, otherwise the uniform is great. The striping on the Isles looks excellent, not sold on the logos which could do with being in full colour, the lighthouse and the classic logo lose quite a bit in monochrome.

The Denver concept, I think you nailed it first time.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2023 at 4:48 PM, johne9109 said:

The Pens is great. I would just say maybe add a black stroke around the main logo. The white gets kinda lost in the yellow.

On 3/2/2023 at 6:29 PM, VampyrRabbit said:

I would agree that the robopenguin needs a black outline, otherwise the uniform is great.

Makes sense. Here's the updated version, along with larger, more Stadium Series sized numbers.

esGBrhg.png

Here are some alternate versions of the concepts I made too. There's a part of me that likes these renditions, but the first ones are better imo.

cDhnhQS.png

• Like 3

• DTConcepts changed the title to 2024 Stadium Series by DT Concepts — Set Two, NYI vs. PIT Updates & Alternates 3/3
14 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Makes sense. Here's the updated version, along with larger, more Stadium Series sized numbers.

esGBrhg.png

Here are some alternate versions of the concepts I made too. There's a part of me that likes these renditions, but the first ones are better imo.

cDhnhQS.png

the 1st islanders concept is better than the 2nd but the logo needs some orange on both. for the penquins, either one looks great

On 3/4/2023 at 8:46 AM, eegl75 said:

the 1st islanders concept is better than the 2nd but the logo needs some orange on both. for the penquins, either one looks great

On 3/4/2023 at 1:07 PM, johne9109 said:

I really like the white stripes witht the orange underneath. Makes the all white logos fit in more. I would still stick witht he blue pants however

Here's what that second jersey would look like with blue pants. I really dig it.

ZZ6Go4X.png

I was also screwing around with the design and make this orange version, too. It might be my favorite of the bunch. Here's what it looks like against that white Penguins jersey.

HMaUZN8.png

I think orange might be the way to go for the Isles.

• Like 3

• DTConcepts changed the title to 2024 Stadium Series by DT Concepts — Set Two, Final NYI vs. PIT Update 3/6
2 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Here's what that second jersey would look like with blue pants. I really dig it.

ZZ6Go4X.png

I was also screwing around with the design and make this orange version, too. It might be my favorite of the bunch. Here's what it looks like against that white Penguins jersey.

HMaUZN8.png

I think orange might be the way to go for the Isles.

Yup that's it right there. That is the best orange jersey I've ever seen for the Islanders and one of the best Islanders concepts in general that I've seen. Way to go!

ZUH86xc.png

Thank you for the warm reception. Let's move on to the next theoretical matchup back in the Western Conference. While these two teams have faced off outdoors before, the NHL hasn't been hesitant to rehash old marquee matchups. With that in mind, I designed some uniforms for a midwestern matchup between the Blackhawks and Blues.

qGvMbta.png

Each team's jersey is loosely inspired by its respective city flag. The Blackhawks' jersey embraces a chest stripe pattern with two thick bands meant to evoke the iconic Chicago flag, whereas the Blues' jersey employs a wavy striping pattern borrowed from the St. Louis city flag. The Blues' color palette is a throwback to the 1990s, but the jersey design is meant to be entirely new.

What do you think?

• Like 5

• DTConcepts changed the title to 2024 Stadium Series by DT Concepts — Set Three STL vs. CHI 3/8

for the blues, make the bottom of the socks blue and the top white. otherwise great jersey. i love the use of the wavy lines from the city flag without being too corny.

chicago looks amazing. great to see some green and yellow on a hawks jersey.

all the jerseys in this thread have looked great but stadium series jerseys usually follow a theme and are meant to be similar to each other.

16 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Thank you for the warm reception. Let's move on to the next theoretical matchup back in the Western Conference. While these two teams have faced off outdoors before, the NHL hasn't been hesitant to rehash old marquee matchups. With that in mind, I designed some uniforms for a midwestern matchup between the Blackhawks and Blues.

qGvMbta.png

Each team's jersey is loosely inspired by its respective city flag. The Blackhawks' jersey embraces a chest stripe pattern with two thick bands meant to evoke the iconic Chicago flag, whereas the Blues' jersey employs a wavy striping pattern borrowed from the St. Louis city flag. The Blues' color palette is a throwback to the 1990s, but the jersey design is meant to be entirely new.

What do you think?

These are wonderfully designed and both work great, but in a word way feel too classic for a stadium series while at the same time feeling too modern for a winter classic; if that makes any sense. Still great job

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

looking back at the Wild, i'd love to see it 2 other ways: swap all the white to red and make the river part of the logo wheat, and the same except the top portion of the jersey is green so the scene blends into a green jersey.