USFL Expansion and "Fixes" Concepts : Blitz, Gold, Invaders and Bandits

LogoFan

I've been working on ideas for future expansion teams and "fixing" things that I think should be fixed.  My first 4 concepts were based on my thought at the time of who the USFL might go with, based on current conditions and activity on copyrights.  I'm rethinking at leas one of these options and will post that concept once it is off the drawing board.

First up, the return of the Blitz, but now in Ohio instead of Chicago.  I tried to modernize the look while keeping the same color scheme of the original.

Like the original team, a flag adorns the back of the helmet; replacing the Chicago flag is the Ohio state flag.  Stripes on the helmet, jersey and pants are meant to tie back to the primary logo.
A secondary mark of a stylized "B" has been added, along with an alternate uniform.

The Ohio Blitz would play in Canton at Tom Benson Stadium.

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

18 minutes ago, THEANGEL&THEGAMBLER said:

I like it but how do the bandits look in this universe? Cause too many of those usfl teams have clashing identities

Funny you should ask.  They are returning but with some slight modifications.

Next up is the return of the Denver Gold.    The primary logo no longer resides in a circle but stands alone with a heavy black outline.  The secondary logo was inspired  by an merging of ideas between the Gold logo and the Denver city flag  represented in the team's colors.  The helmet will be a flat black with chrome gold logo, stripe, and facemask.

Gold24.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

The Oakland Invaders storm into town again to return football to the good residents of the bay area.  A modernized logo with a fist holding a lightning bolt is the primary logo.  The secondary is a combination of a lightning bolt with a slanted "O" for "Oakland".   Keeping with the traditionalist style of the former NFL team, the updated Invaders sport a look that has been modernized but not extreme.  A navy version of the jersey and pants have been introduced, as well as an alternative set of pants with a simple lighting bolt similar to the one in the primary.

Invaders24.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

And lastly, after a one-year hiatus, the Tampa Bay Bandits return!  The primary logo has been modified to make the logo stand out better against the helmet and the front right leg has been repositioned.  The uniform has minor changes, with color-contrast sleeves being introduced to help differentiate the Bandits with other teams in the league. A black alternate jersey has been added as well.

Bandits24.jpg

• Like 5

• LogoFan changed the title to USFL Expansion and "Fixes" Concepts : Blitz, Gold, Invaders and Bandits
15 hours ago, LogoFan said:

The Oakland Invaders storm into town again to return football to the good residents of the bay area.  A modernized logo with a fist holding a lightning bolt is the primary logo.  The secondary is a combination of a lightning bolt with a slanted "O" for "Oakland".   Keeping with the traditionalist style of the former NFL team, the updated Invaders sport a look that has been modernized but not extreme.  A navy version of the jersey and pants have been introduced, as well as an alternative set of pants with a simple lighting bolt similar to the one in the primary.

Invaders24.jpg

They're all pretty sweet! Good job, Sir! The only thing that looks strange to me is Oakland's bolt being completely navy/dark. Maybe 'cause it looks black, or because I expect bolts to at least be outlined in a bright color; Not quite sure but besides that, its pretty solid. 

• Like 2

Your secondaries for the Blitz, Gold and Invaders are as good, if not better, than the primaries. Really, well done. 

In fact, I'd consider using them on the helmet instead of the primary logos, especially with the Gold. I've never been a fan of the gold starburst logo on its own., but using it rising above the mountains within a shield is brilliant. 

I've also never been a big fan of the Blitz wordmark as a helmet graphic, but your update to it is fantastic. I'd still like to see the helmet with a simpler mark, whether it be your B secondary or something that emphasizes the lightning Z from the wordmark.

Regardless, really nice work on these. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Est1980 said:

They're all pretty sweet! Good job, Sir! The only thing that looks strange to me is Oakland's bolt being completely navy/dark. Maybe 'cause it looks black, or because I expect bolts to at least be outlined in a bright color; Not quite sure but besides that, its pretty solid. 

Thank you, Est1980!  The ironic thing was, I was chugging along pretty well with the designing of the secondary and revised primary, and then hit a brick wall when I started working on the unis.  They were reminiscent of the Chargers back in the day with the lighting and color scheme, but since then the Spanos family has put them through several variations of blue and the current look is very similar to what the Invaders had back then, color-wise.  I started tinker with the logo and when I changed it to navy, I got a "WHOA!" response that I agreed with.  Typically you wouldn't think of a lightning bolt in dark colors so I definitely understand your point.  I might play with this one a bit more as I'm still not happy with the unis myself.  

10 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Your secondaries for the Blitz, Gold and Invaders are as good, if not better, than the primaries. Really, well done. 

In fact, I'd consider using them on the helmet instead of the primary logos, especially with the Gold. I've never been a fan of the gold starburst logo on its own., but using it rising above the mountains within a shield is brilliant. 

I've also never been a big fan of the Blitz wordmark as a helmet graphic, but your update to it is fantastic. I'd still like to see the helmet with a simpler mark, whether it be your B secondary or something that emphasizes the lightning Z from the wordmark.

Regardless, really nice work on these. 

Thank you for the kind words, gosioux76!  Very much appreciated.  My Invaders secondary was originally supposed to be the primary, but I felt like it was perhaps too big of a departure from the original, so I did some more...a LOT more...sketching before getting to an approach I was comfortable with.  I also have another alt secondary that I originally planned on using a the secondary mark and part of the wordmark, but never could get it to look right together.  I might post it at some point.

• Like 1

I love the idea of moving the Blitz identity to Canton, if they get some decent attendance as a hub this season I think they'll be a strong contender to either get an expansion team or have one of the existing rebranded and call it home. However, while I understand the Ohio branding, I think that Canton Blitz rolls off the tongue a little better. 

I love what you did with all the secondary logos as well, so much so that I'd put that B on the Blitz helmet instead of the revised legacy version.

All nicely done.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 6:01 PM, LogoFan said:

Invaders24.jpg

Golden yellow helmets, golden yellow jerseys, azure blue and cool black (deepest blue). WOW!!!!!! Amazing!!!!!