MLB MULTIVERSE

MJD7

1 minute ago, CDCLT said:

I love the Tides! I do have to wonder how the set would look with a seafoam-ish teal instead of green. I like the orange in the set, but if I remember correctly, it was added because the team is an affiliate of the O's - what would it look like without?

A color scheme similar to Tulane would probably work best and be closer to the Marlins original colors

spacer.png

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MJD7 said:

What if... the Marlins relocated to Norfolk (and changed their name)?

Along with Vegas and San Antonio, the Marlins looked at a possible move to Norfolk in 2006. I went with the Minor League "Tides" name, which worked well with the aquatic theme & shares a similar color scheme.

wDe6evD.png

EiH0V5a.png

22mohRS.png

LE1GTFP.png

Wow! One of my favorites in the series. Using the Marlins' current scripts and numbers was a great call, and they look excellent in the Tides' current green/black/orange color scheme. 

I managed to unearth a few more possibilities for this series:

Baltimore Braves – In 1949, Boston Braves owner Lou Perini made a failed bid to move his team to Baltimore before working out a deal with the City of Milwaukee.

Baltimore Cardinals – By 1916, it was apparent St. Louis could not sustain two MLB teams. After the Federal League collapsed, Baltimore Terrapins owners tried to purchase the Cardinals (who were horrible and suffering from poor attendance at the time) and move them to Charm City, but the deal was scuttled by a vindictive Charles Comiskey.

Buffalo Red Sox/Bisons - In 1901, American League founder Byron "Ban" Johnson had promised Buffalo a new franchise before snubbing the city and awarding Boston a second MLB team instead. 

Houston Indians – During the 1958 Winter Meetings, expansion was a hot topic, with Texas (specifically Houston) the leading candidate to land a team. George Kirksey, executive secretary of the Houston Sports Association, made a then record-breaking offer of $5 million to purchase the Cleveland Indians and move them to Houston.

Montreal Browns – After Browns owner Philip Ball died in 1933, rumors swirled that the Browns might head to Montreal, with at least two Montreal business moguls expressing interest in buying and moving the team there. 

New Jersey Yankees – In 1987, amidst their most disappointing decade in team history,  George Steinbrenner met with key figures from the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority about relocating the Yankees to a new sports complex in the Meadowlands. (This article states that New Orleans tried to lure the Yankees south, as well.)

New York Phillies & Pirates – Along with the Reds, this article claims that the Pirates and Phillies were also courted to relocate to NYC in 1958 following the loss of the Dodgers and Giants to the West Coast.

Pittsburgh Tigers - After the Western League became the American League in 1901, the Tigers were rumored to move to Pittsburgh before a new National Agreement was reached in 1903.  

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Wow! One of my favorites in the series. Using the Marlins' current scripts and numbers was a great call, and they look excellent in the Tides' current green/black/orange color scheme. 

Baltimore Braves – In 1949, Boston Braves owner Lou Perini made a failed bid to move his team to Baltimore before working out a deal with the City of Milwaukee.

Baltimore Cardinals – By 1916, it became apparent St. Louis could not sustain two MLB teams. After the Federal League collapsed, Baltimore Terrapins owners tried to purchase the Cardinals (who were horrible and suffering from poor attendance at the time) and move them to Charm City, but the deal was scuttled by a vindictive Charles Comiskey.

Buffalo Red Sox/Bisons - In 1901, American League founder Byron "Ban" Johnson had promised Buffalo a new AL franchise before changing his mind and going with Boston, instead. 

Houston Indians – During the 1958 Winter Meetings, MLB expansion was a hot topic, with Texas (specifically Houston) the leading candidate to land a team. George Kirksey, executive secretary of the Houston Sports Association, made a then record-breaking offer of $5 million to purchase the Cleveland Indians and move them to Houston.

Montreal Browns – After Browns owner Philip Ball died in 1933, rumors swirled that the Browns might head to Montreal, with at least two high profile Montreal businessmen expressing interest in buying and relocating the team. 

New Jersey Yankees – Amidst their most disappointing decade in team history,  George Steinbrenner in 1987 met with key figures from the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority about moving the Yankees to a new sports complex in the Meadowlands. (This article states that New Orleans tried to lure the Yankees south, as well.)

New York Phillies & PiratesThis article claims that along with the Reds, the Pirates and Phillies were also courted to relocate to NYC in 1958 following the loss of the Dodgers and Giants to the West Coast.

The Cardinals would likely become the Orioles upon a move to Baltimore

I could see the Indians adopting the Rangers name in Houston

The Yankees in New Jersey is iffy. They could keep it and just do a NJ interlocking. Or do something cool like Devils or even Swamp Dragons.

Yankees make a smooth transition to Cajuns in New Orleans

Phillies in NY wouldn’t work. Would they become the Mets? Pirates name with Mets colors could work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Baltimore Cardinals – By 1916, it was apparent St. Louis could not sustain two MLB teams. After the Federal League collapsed, Baltimore Terrapins owners tried to purchase the Cardinals (who were horrible and suffering from poor attendance at the time) and move them to Charm City, but the deal was scuttled by a vindictive Charles Comiskey.

Buffalo Red Sox/Bisons - In 1901, American League founder Byron "Ban" Johnson had promised Buffalo a new AL franchise before changing his mind and awarding Boston a second MLB team instead. 

Houston Indians – During the 1958 Winter Meetings, MLB expansion was a hot topic, with Texas (specifically Houston) the leading candidate to land a team. George Kirksey, executive secretary of the Houston Sports Association, made a then record-breaking offer of $5 million to purchase the Cleveland Indians and move them to Houston.

Montreal Browns – After Browns owner Philip Ball died in 1933, rumors swirled that the Browns might head to Montreal, with at least two high profile Montreal businessmen expressing interest in buying and relocating the team. 

New Jersey Yankees – In 1987, amidst their most disappointing decade in team history,  George Steinbrenner met with key figures from the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority about moving the Yankees to a new sports complex in the Meadowlands. (This article states that New Orleans tried to lure the Yankees south, as well.)

New York Phillies & PiratesThis article claims that along with the Reds, the Pirates and Phillies were also courted to relocate to NYC in 1958 following the loss of the Dodgers and Giants to the West Coast.

'

I think I have a few suggestions that I've mentioned before, but haven't been done yet

Boston Red Sox (Braves) - The Boston Braves once called themselves the "Red Stockings" long before the AL's Boston Red Sox came into fruition

Buffalo Senators (II) - The second incarnation of the Washington Senators originally considered a move to Buffalo, New York before they settled on Arlington, TX instead

Grand Rapids Rippers (Guardians/Indians) - The Cleveland Guardians got their start in the Western League as the Grand Rapids Rippers

Milwaukee Brewers (Cardinals) - An extension of MJD's previous Milwaukee Cardinals set, where the Cardinals move to Milwaukee and become the new Milwaukee Brewers

Montreal Expos (Rays) - The Tampa Bay Rays once considered a timeshare for home games between Tampa Bay and Montreal which didn't go through, but if the Rays had partially moved to Montreal, maybe they would've eventually stayed and became the second incarnation of the Montreal Expos.

Sioux City Cornhuskers (White Sox) - The modern-day Chicago White Sox got their start in Sioux City, Iowa before becoming the St. Paul Saints and eventually the Chicago White Sox

St. Louis Browns (Cardinals) - The Cardinals in the 19th century National League were originally known as the "Browns" before changing their name to the iconic Cardinals at the turn of the 20th century.

Austin, Charlotte, Hartford, Indianapolis, Nashville, Portland, or San Antonio Rays - The uncertainty around the Rays current stadium situation has led to speculation that the Rays will move to potentially 1 of 7 open markets looking to land a baseball team, but there hasn't really been a frontrunner push by any of these cities to land the Rays as they figure out what to do with their stadium.

• Like 1

gT1BtSs.png

35 minutes ago, maxwasson said:

Buffalo Blue Jays - The Toronto Blue Jays played temporary home games in Buffalo during the shortened 2020 season and half of the 2021 season

Pittsburgh Blue Jays - The Toronto Blue Jays almost played temporary home games in Pittsburgh, before deciding on Buffalo for a temporary home

These were temporary moves made out of necessity due to the pandemic, so I’m not sure they really fit the premise of this series.

• Like 2

It’s pretty fresh dealings, but the Orioles were nearly moved to Nashville via a lawsuit between feuding brothers within ownership-

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/baseball/lawsuit-mlbs-orioles-could-move-to-tennessee/article_eb34f27c-e8e9-11ec-ae91-9bce13aa35e9.html

The Rays were also “loosely” looked at for a Music City move

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2021/05/29/tampa-bay-rays-considering-nashville-relocation-mlb-franchise/5265219001/

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

The Yankees in New Jersey is iffy. They could keep it and just do a NJ interlocking. Or do something cool like Devils or even Swamp Dragons.

Phillies in NY wouldn’t work. Would they become the Mets? Pirates name with Mets colors could work.

If the Yanks had actually moved to Jersey, I don’t think there’s a chance they would’ve changed their name.

• Like 1

Purely speculative, but what if Baltimore swayed the Athletics to town a year prior to their move to Kansas City?

The Philadelphia Athletics did  hold their 1944 Spring Training in Frederick, MD. A mere 40 minute drive from Baltimore.

http://www.historysharkproductions.com/living-united-for-80-years-part-i-a-community-chest/when-big-league-ball-came-to-frederick

Also, the Mets nearly moved to New Jersey-

https://njbaseball.net/the-new-jersey-mets-it-couldve-happened-maybe/

and Montreal seemingly had their eyes on the Mets-

https://www.metstoday.com/9571/shea-what/will-mets-move-to-montreal/

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 3:13 PM, CDCLT said:

I love the Tides! I do have to wonder how the set would look with a seafoam-ish teal instead of green. I like the orange in the set, but if I remember correctly, it was added because the team is an affiliate of the O's - what would it look like without?

On 8/21/2023 at 3:15 PM, DCarp1231 said:

A color scheme similar to Tulane would probably work best and be closer to the Marlins original colors

spacer.png

Thanks! Here's a look at the home jersey with the "middle" shade between green and sea-foam on the wave sleeve logo, and removing orange:

4kFEEAg.png

Given your suggestions though, I think you might like today's set a bit more (which I'll be posting shortly), as it emphasizes the sea-foam more while minimizing the orange.

On 8/21/2023 at 4:34 PM, coco1997 said:

Buffalo Red Sox/Bisons - In 1901, American League founder Byron "Ban" Johnson had promised Buffalo a new franchise before snubbing the city and awarding Boston a second MLB team instead. 

Houston Indians – During the 1958 Winter Meetings, expansion was a hot topic, with Texas (specifically Houston) the leading candidate to land a team. George Kirksey, executive secretary of the Houston Sports Association, made a then record-breaking offer of $5 million to purchase the Cleveland Indians and move them to Houston.

Montreal Browns – After Browns owner Philip Ball died in 1933, rumors swirled that the Browns might head to Montreal, with at least two Montreal business moguls expressing interest in buying and moving the team there. 

New Jersey Yankees – In 1987, amidst their most disappointing decade in team history,  George Steinbrenner met with key figures from the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority about relocating the Yankees to a new sports complex in the Meadowlands. (This article states that New Orleans tried to lure the Yankees south, as well.)

New York Phillies & Pirates – Along with the Reds, this article claims that the Pirates and Phillies were also courted to relocate to NYC in 1958 following the loss of the Dodgers and Giants to the West Coast.

Pittsburgh Tigers - After the Western League became the American League in 1901, the Tigers were rumored to move to Pittsburgh before a new National Agreement was reached in 1903.  

On 8/21/2023 at 5:12 PM, DCarp1231 said:

23 hours ago, maxwasson said:

'

I think I have a few suggestions that I've mentioned before, but haven't been done yet

Boston Red Sox (Braves) - The Boston Braves once called themselves the "Red Stockings" long before the AL's Boston Red Sox came into fruition

Buffalo Senators (II) - The second incarnation of the Washington Senators originally considered a move to Buffalo, New York before they settled on Arlington, TX instead

Grand Rapids Rippers (Guardians/Indians) - The Cleveland Guardians got their start in the Western League as the Grand Rapids Rippers

Milwaukee Brewers (Cardinals) - An extension of MJD's previous Milwaukee Cardinals set, where the Cardinals move to Milwaukee and become the new Milwaukee Brewers

Montreal Expos (Rays) - The Tampa Bay Rays once considered a timeshare for home games between Tampa Bay and Montreal which didn't go through, but if the Rays had partially moved to Montreal, maybe they would've eventually stayed and became the second incarnation of the Montreal Expos.

Sioux City Cornhuskers (White Sox) - The modern-day Chicago White Sox got their start in Sioux City, Iowa before becoming the St. Paul Saints and eventually the Chicago White Sox

St. Louis Browns (Cardinals) - The Cardinals in the 19th century National League were originally known as the "Browns" before changing their name to the iconic Cardinals at the turn of the 20th century.

Austin, Charlotte, Hartford, Indianapolis, Nashville, Portland, or San Antonio Rays - The uncertainty around the Rays current stadium situation has led to speculation that the Rays will move to potentially 1 of 7 open markets looking to land a baseball team, but there hasn't really been a frontrunner push by any of these cities to land the Rays as they figure out what to do with their stadium.

23 hours ago, coco1997 said:

These were temporary moves made out of necessity due to the pandemic, so I’m not sure they really fit the premise of this series.

22 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

It’s pretty fresh dealings, but the Orioles were nearly moved to Nashville via a lawsuit between feuding brothers within ownership-

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/baseball/lawsuit-mlbs-orioles-could-move-to-tennessee/article_eb34f27c-e8e9-11ec-ae91-9bce13aa35e9.html

The Rays were also “loosely” looked at for a Music City move

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2021/05/29/tampa-bay-rays-considering-nashville-relocation-mlb-franchise/5265219001/

9 hours ago, coco1997 said:

If the Yanks had actually moved to Jersey, I don’t think there’s a chance they would’ve changed their name.

8 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Purely speculative, but what if Baltimore swayed the Athletics to town a year prior to their move to Kansas City?

The Philadelphia Athletics did  hold their 1944 Spring Training in Frederick, MD. A mere 40 minute drive from Baltimore.

http://www.historysharkproductions.com/living-united-for-80-years-part-i-a-community-chest/when-big-league-ball-came-to-frederick

Also, the Mets nearly moved to New Jersey-

https://njbaseball.net/the-new-jersey-mets-it-couldve-happened-maybe/

and Montreal seemingly had their eyes on the Mets-

https://www.metstoday.com/9571/shea-what/will-mets-move-to-montreal/

Wow, I have a lot to catch up on! I'll see how many of these I can get to, but if I'm being completely honest, I'm kind of starting to feel ready to wrap things up. This is the first day where I don't at least have a team prepared for tomorrow, but we'll see. As for examples such as the Yankees or Mets moving to New Jersey, I agree with @coco1997 that they'd almost definitely keep their name as "New York," like the Giants & Jets do. It might be fun to just imagine, though. I would also like to have sources on those if you have them, @maxwasson.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

What if... the Expos relocated to Norfolk (and changed their name)?

Before settling on DC, the Expos also considered Norfolk for their relocation. I combined the Tides' 1993-2006 identity with the current color scheme and Expos-inspired fonts and logos.

JCkKqE4.png

IeZ37O7.png

uI7JirG.png

ai2XFui.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Norfolk Tides (Expos)]

Oh wow, I love the Marlins-style seafoam and black set! It looks really nice and I can imagine their alternate teal jersey would be stellar. This new set isn't doing it as much for me, as the contrast between the green and seafoam and orange and seafoam isn't enough for me. The numbers in particular stick out poorly on a flat template like this, they may look better in real life. The scripts are really nice, I've always loved that old Tides script.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

@MJD7  Here are the sources for each of my suggestions

Boston Red Sox (Braves) - http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/atl/history/story_of_the_braves.jspfranchise started as the Cincinnati Red Stockings before moving to Boston and becoming the Red Stockings, of course their name would be the Red Sox in the present day.

Buffalo Senators (II) https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/local/unknown-stories/unknown-stories-of-wny-a-parade-of-plans-a-look-back-at-buffalo-bills-stadium-proposals-of-the-past/71-023bcf01-8e93-4c51-9e7c-4bf1a2972a71

Grand Rapids Rippers (Guardians/Indians) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Cleveland_Guardians

Montreal Expos (Rays) - https://www.axios.com/local/tampa-bay/2022/01/21/mlb-squashes-rays-split-city-plan

Sioux City Cornhuskers (White Sox)https://myweb.uiowa.edu/jwolcott/Baseball/

St. Louis Browns (Cardinals) https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/history/timeline

Austin, Charlotte, Hartford, Indianapolis, Nashville, Portland, or San Antonio Rays - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/743330-mlb-realignment-7-cities-the-tampa-rays-could-relocate-to-if-needed This suggestion is wildly more speculative than the others, but I do know that someone posted a link indicating that Nashville would be interested in landing the Rays if they don't stay in Tampa Bay.

• Like 1

gT1BtSs.png

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

What if... the Expos relocated to Norfolk (and changed their name)?

Before settling on DC, the Expos also considered Norfolk for their relocation. I combined the Tides' 1993-2006 identity with the current color scheme and Expos-inspired fonts and logos.

JCkKqE4.png

IeZ37O7.png

uI7JirG.png

ai2XFui.png

I love this! Even though I really liked your previous version, this is closer to what I was expecting when you implied you would be doing the Tides.

I hope you continue with this series. Your last couple concepts have been some of my favorites!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

3 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Here's a triple-blue with red version of the Tides: I honestly quite like it, the navy alt in particular reminds me a lot of the Cubs' City jersey.

MvC0Cmv.png

9vRPSbo.png

mCuGDuv.png

P1p6Fyu.png

Oh now these I love. Only problem is a feel the T would get lost on the powder blue set.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Here's a triple-blue with red version of the Tides: I honestly quite like it, the navy alt in particular reminds me a lot of the Cubs' City jersey.

MvC0Cmv.png

9vRPSbo.png

mCuGDuv.png

P1p6Fyu.png

Even though I'll always advocate for more green in MLB, this version might be my favorite of the three. It also reminds me a bit of the Disney-era Angels, but in a good way. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Speaking of Expos— Monterey, Mexico was floated as a landing spot for the team

https://tht.fangraphs.com/the-franchise-moves-that-almost-happened/

17 hours ago, maxwasson said:

I believe the Expos also flirted with San Juan, Puerto Rico as well.

@SFGiants58 tackled both of these - I'm not sure what I'd do about the team name.

20 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Oh now these I love. Only problem is a feel the T would get lost on the powder blue set.

7 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Even though I'll always advocate for more green in MLB, this version might be my favorite of the three. It also reminds me a bit of the Disney-era Angels, but in a good way. 

Thanks! Yeah, the "T" does get a little lost on the powder blue, I think the only alternative would be to have a 3rd "Norfolk" jersey.