MLB MULTIVERSE

MJD7

Phila A's - The whole set is gorgeous, but the two alts have to be my favorite of the bunch. 

Brewers (White Sox) - I love this idea! However, I think you could lean into the White Sox inspiration just a bit more. For instance, you could squeeze a small "Brewers" into the tail of the "Milwaukee" script (and visa versa for the home and home alt jerseys) as a nod to these gorgeous 1968 throwbacks. I'd also like to see the diamond return to the sleeve as it did with your other White Sox concepts, but with a Brewers logo (maybe the barley ball?) in place of the sock. 

Pandas - I actually enjoy both versions of the Pandas equally! Green and black is such a great color combo. I agree with @heavybass that it would be fun to see a panda mascot somewhere, something like this. Basically the Swinging Friar with a panda face. 

Orioles (Yankees) - This is probably your simplest concept in this series, but it's nonetheless one of my favorites because of the history behind it. 

Vegas D-Backs - YES! I was hoping to see this one included, and you did not disappoint!  As much as I beat the "D-Backs back in purple and turquoise" drum, this scheme would've made total sense for them had they moved to Sin City and also created some nice visual synergy with the Golden Knights. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, MJD7 said:

What if... the Diamondbacks relocated to Las Vegas?

The D-Backs signed a nondisclosure agreement with the city of Las Vegas in 2018, suggesting there were at least talks about a potential move. The black, red, & sand color scheme already works perfectly for Vegas.

Jrb9x1G.png

vy4gBwM.png

mMkotS0.png

tBnKv3X.png

The OCD in me wants to see what the V looks like with the diamond pattern on the left, like the DBacks A logo has. For some reason it's jarring to see it the other way around lol

• Like 1

What if... the Cardinals relocated to Detroit?

In 1934, the Cards were rumored to be on the move to Detroit, as the owner publicly said it would be "ideal," but the Tigers would've never allowed it. The silver bat is inspired by Detroit's famous automotive industry.

fCuDBX4.png

Wczfzpp.png

• Like 7

On 8/7/2023 at 2:39 PM, coco1997 said:

Phila A's - The whole set is gorgeous, but the two alts have to be my favorite of the bunch.

Thanks! I agree, the alts are my favorite aspect of the set.

Brewers (White Sox) - I love this idea! However, I think you could lean into the White Sox inspiration just a bit more. For instance, you could squeeze a small "Brewers" into the tail of the "Milwaukee" script (and visa versa for the home and home alt jerseys) as a nod to these gorgeous 1968 throwbacks. I'd also like to see the diamond return to the sleeve as it did with your other White Sox concepts, but with a Brewers logo (maybe the barley ball?) in place of the sock.

The team name in the tail feels a bit too throwback for me, and the ball-in-glove felt like it fit pretty nicely with the font of the script, but I see what you're saying about more White Sox inspiration, I'll see if I can do something different.

Pandas - I actually enjoy both versions of the Pandas equally! Green and black is such a great color combo. I agree with @heavybass that it would be fun to see a panda mascot somewhere, something like this. Basically the Swinging Friar with a panda face.

Agreed! I'll see what I can do about a panda mascot.

Orioles (Yankees) - This is probably your simplest concept in this series, but it's nonetheless one of my favorites because of the history behind it. 

Yeah, the reason I hesitated to do it despite many people recommending it was that it didn't offer much in the way of creative design inspiration. I nevertheless tried to stick as close to the spirit of the classic Yankees identity as much as possible.

Vegas D-Backs - YES! I was hoping to see this one included, and you did not disappoint!  As much as I beat the "D-Backs back in purple and turquoise" drum, this scheme would've made total sense for them had they moved to Sin City and also created some nice visual synergy with the Golden Knights. 

Thanks! I appreciate the recommendation, as it's turned out to be among my favorites in the series, as well.

2 hours ago, Spunky Brewster said:

The OCD in me wants to see what the V looks like with the diamond pattern on the left, like the DBacks A logo has. For some reason it's jarring to see it the other way around lol

I did my best, although I still think I like how it looks on the right better, as that's still technically the same positioning as the D-Backs' "A," it's just that the whole letter is flipped around.

P6wZwcw.png

• Like 2

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Detroit Cardinals]
1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

What if... the Cardinals relocated to Detroit?

In 1934, the Cards were rumored to be on the move to Detroit, as the owner publicly said it would be "ideal," but the Tigers would've never allowed it. The silver bat is inspired by Detroit's famous automotive industry.

fCuDBX4.png

Wczfzpp.png

Detroit turned out great! I was really surprised to learn from Todd Radom's podcast that this relocation was an actual possibility. The headspoon piping is a nice nod to the Tigers' home jerseys. I was planning to suggest that if you hadn't included it in your initial design. :wink2:

• Like 1

This article highlights some interesting never-to-be relocations. Most of which you’ve covered.

https://www.mlb.com/news/cities-that-almost-had-an-mlb-team

Indianapolis Arrows

• Athletics 

• Pirates

Both teams were for sale in 1985 and the Arrows name was already picked out (doesn’t necessarily mean they would’ve stuck with the name)

(Apologies if I’m overstepping my patronage)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

This article highlights some interesting never-to-be relocations. Most of which you’ve covered.

https://www.mlb.com/news/cities-that-almost-had-an-mlb-team

Indianapolis Arrows

• Athletics 

• Pirates

Both teams were for sale in 1985 and the Arrows name was already picked out (doesn’t necessarily mean they would’ve stuck with the name)

(Apologies if I’m overstepping my patronage)

Don't be sorry, I appreciate it! I will admit that I am trying to get this series wrapped up somewhat soon, but I'll see if those teams have any promise. 😁

• Like 1

What if... the Athletics relocated to Los Angeles?

The A's in Kansas City seemed doomed from the start, as their owner quickly set his eyes on LA, possibly coordinating with the Senators to go to San Francisco. Red accents are added and the city flag adorns the sleeve stripes.

j1IsUPa.png

5jPxuJJ.png

dlFfRtq.png

d8kQuLF.png

• Like 6

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Los Angeles Athletics]

What if... the Marlins relocated to Oklahoma City?

Lt. Gov. Mary Fallin said in 2006 that she had several talks with the then Florida Marlins about possibly moving to OKC. I figured if it went through, they'd be able to snatch up the "Thunder" name before the NBA got to it.

7VzYjPj.png

3sM3nEt.png

c345CQc.png

W2qqZQB.png

• Like 14
  • Applause 1
  • WOAH 2

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Oklahoma City Thunder (Marlins)]
54 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Lt. Gov. Mary Fallin said in 2006 that she had several talks with the then Florida Marlins about possibly moving to OKC. I figured if it went through, they'd be able to snatch up the "Thunder" name before the NBA got to it.

7VzYjPj.png

3sM3nEt.png

c345CQc.png

W2qqZQB.png

WOW just fantastic. It'd be interesting to see a feauxback taking the 90's Marlins pinstripe look, but with this color scheme and OKC branding

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

2 hours ago, johne9109 said:

WOW just fantastic. It'd be interesting to see a feauxback taking the 90's Marlins pinstripe look, but with this color scheme and OKC branding

It probably won't be apart of this series, but it would be really funny to see if the Seattle Mariners moved to Oklahoma City and changed their name to the Thunder. 

• LOL 1
  • Sad 1

gT1BtSs.png

4 hours ago, johne9109 said:

Thanks! Here's a look at the pinstripe home vest, I decided to try & add navy accents because otherwise there didn't seem to be enough of a significant difference:

Qfz1V5o.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MJD7 said:

7VzYjPj.png

3sM3nEt.png

c345CQc.png

W2qqZQB.png

The alternates look fantastic, especially the blue with the Tuscan font. I'd like to see the Tuscan font and the side design across the board, as it looks distinctive and really neat.

I'd also have a patch with The Survivor Tree somewhere in the set.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Why would that happen?

Idk, I just wanted to tell a joke, although I do believe the Mariners were under the threat of relocation back in the late 90s trying to get a stadium deal in Seattle approved, I do know that Tampa Bay was considered a destination for them, I don't know about any others

• Like 1

gT1BtSs.png

12 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

The alternates look fantastic, especially the blue with the Tuscan font. I'd like to see the Tuscan font and the side design across the board, as it looks distinctive and really neat.

I'd also have a patch with The Survivor Tree somewhere in the set.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I'm not sure if that exact Tuscan font is available anywhere, I just took it from the Oklahoma City Dodgers Minor League team. I'll see if I can work something out though.

5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Why would that happen?

Yeah, it was a joke because the Seattle Sonics of the NBA are who moved to OKC & became the Thunder. Personally, I couldn't do that again to Seattle.

What if... the Saints remained in St. Paul?

Charles Comiskey moved the Saints to Chicago in 1900 and renamed them the "White Sox," but what if he never did? I took inspiration from the color scheme of the Twins' current "Twin Cities" jersey.

vc2Ua9Y.png

T3qiQ1T.png

yoQ2ncy.png

• Like 9
  • Love 4
  • Applause 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [St. Paul Saints (White Sox)]
23 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Charles Comiskey moved the Saints to Chicago in 1900 and renamed them the "White Sox," but what if he never did? I took inspiration from the color scheme of the Twins' current "Twin Cities" jersey.

vc2Ua9Y.png

T3qiQ1T.png

yoQ2ncy.png

Great! More early origins concepts, curious if we'll see the original Browns who became the Cardinals, the original Red Sox who become the Braves, and the Cowboys who became the first incarnation of the Senators

• Like 1

gT1BtSs.png

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

vc2Ua9Y.png

T3qiQ1T.png

yoQ2ncy.png

The Saints turned out great! I'm curious what the significance is of the pig logo on the alt's sleeve. 

@MJD7 Congrats on completing a very fun, creative and well-researched series! Since it seems like you tried to address as many potential relocations as possible, here are a few I feel would fit well within the premise of this project:

Kansas City Cowboys (Senators) – As @maxwasson pointed out, the Kansas City Cowboys (known alternately as the “Blues”) of the Western League played from 1885-1901 before relocating to D.C. and becoming the first iteration of the Washington Senators.

Long Beach Angels – In 2019, the Angels met with Long Beach officials about relocating to a new stadium at the large, undeveloped plot of land near Long Beach Convention Center. Last year, after the City of Anaheim nixed a planned sale of Angel Stadium to Arte Moreno, Long Beach reiterated its interest in luring the Halos thirty miles southwest of Anaheim.

Washington A’s – In 1977 (scroll down to page 8 ), Charlie O. Finley accused Commissioner Howie Kuhn of plotting to switch the A’s to the NL and move them to D.C. Kuhn downplayed these claims but confessed the move had at least been considered. The A’s look could mesh pretty organically with the Senators/Nationals, with a navy & red color scheme similar to the Kansas City A’s pre-1963 look.

Washington Giants – According to this article, a group of local investors attempted to lure the Giants to D.C. in 1978. I can see you doing something cool with an orange “DC” monogram in the style of the Giants’ “SF.”

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/11/2023 at 2:32 PM, maxwasson said:

Great! More early origins concepts, curious if we'll see the original Browns who became the Cardinals, the original Red Sox who become the Braves, and the Cowboys who became the first incarnation of the Senators

Thanks! As for the St. Louis Browns & Boston Red Sox, I’m not sure how different they’d be from past concepts I’ve done for each of those teams, even if they originated from different places. I’ll see if there’s something I can do though.

On 8/11/2023 at 3:13 PM, coco1997 said:

The Saints turned out great! I'm curious what the significance is of the pig logo on the alt's sleeve.

Thanks! You can read a bit more on the significance of the pig logo here (I honestly didn’t know much about it myself, only that the Minor League Saints use that pig logo).

On 8/11/2023 at 3:13 PM, coco1997 said:

@MJD7 Congrats on completing a very fun, creative and well-researched series! Since it seems like you tried to address as many potential relocations as possible, here are a few I feel would fit well within the premise of this project:

Kansas City Cowboys (Senators) – As @maxwasson pointed out, the Kansas City Cowboys (known alternately as the “Blues”) of the Western League played from 1885-1901 before relocating to D.C. and becoming the first iteration of the Washington Senators.

Long Beach Angels – In 2019, the Angels met with Long Beach officials about relocating to a new stadium at the large, undeveloped plot of land near Long Beach Convention Center. Last year, after the City of Anaheim nixed a planned sale of Angel Stadium to Arte Moreno, Long Beach reiterated its interest in luring the Halos thirty miles southwest of Anaheim.

Washington A’s – In 1977 (scroll down to page 8 ), Charlie O. Finley accused Commissioner Howie Kuhn of plotting to switch the A’s to the NL and move them to D.C. Kuhn downplayed these claims but confessed the move had at least been considered. The A’s look could mesh pretty organically with the Senators/Nationals, with a navy & red color scheme similar to the Kansas City A’s pre-1963 look.

Washington Giants – According to this article, a group of local investors attempted to lure the Giants to D.C. in 1978. I can see you doing something cool with an orange “DC” monogram in the style of the Giants’ “SF.”

Thank you very much! Pretty much all of the original research credit goes to @SFGiants58 & of course Todd Radom, I really just translated their research into my own tastes for certain designs. And also, a lot of the recommendations from guys like you have resulted in some additional fun designs, especially here on the back end!

Even though there aren’t any remaining slots on the list at the moment, I’m not quite done yet. I have a few extra teams remaining, I’m just deciding which ones I want to officially slot in, and which ones might need a bit more time, if I even want to add them at all.

I will say, I’ve already at least started designs on each of these recommendations you’ve given except for the Cowboys, who I’m gonna try to come up with something for as soon as possible. 

• Like 4