MLB MULTIVERSE

MJD7

12 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

My only critique is that DENVER is hard to read at first glance. But sweet job.

9 hours ago, Yee Yee Go 'Stros! said:

Also, the all-caps Old English "DENVER" is kinda hard to read.  The A's used a plain block "OAKLAND" for a few years and I think it worked and looked okay.  Love the idea of purple and green, it makes for a unique color scheme!

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

My suggestion would be to avoid double outlines, just to improve legibility. Double outlines on Old English, as I learned the hard way, can wreak havoc on the legibility.

Thank you all! Yeah, I had the same concerns about legibility myself; I wanted to try to make it work, but purple & green might be the single toughest color scheme to pull off. Here's how the "Denver" jerseys look without double outlines:

ypxDRTX.png

12aooj4.png

I still find myself attached to the original look, but I can't deny that this looks cleaner. I might have to remedy the double-outlines for another future A's team, too.

9 hours ago, Yee Yee Go 'Stros! said:

I think the green needs to be lightened a bit to contrast more with the purple.

I honestly think lightening up the green might make it blend even more with the purple. I definitely want to keep it forest green, as that is what links the A's with the Rockies, who used forest green in their 1998 All-Star Game branding.

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Nice work! 

Thanks! Obviously a lot of this wouldn't have been possible without you, so I appreciate it. 😄

• Like 3

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Los Angeles Angels (Browns)]

What if... the Orioles relocated to Washington?

In 1976, the AL & NL adopted resolutions for the O's to play 13 home games at RFK Stadium, former home of the Senators. 3 years later, Edward Bennett Williams bought the team, & rumors swirled that he would move the team to DC.

DbOXD3e.png

D6mx1jI.png

MR7KoQk.png

Rps5TXP.png

• Like 6

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Washington Orioles]

Hadn't gotten around to commenting on this project until now, but better late than ever, I suppose. I've really loved what you've done so far! Some comments:

Marlins (Browns) – Really nice job balancing black, teal and orange. For the road script, I'd like to see arched block letters with drop shadows, which could serve as both a nod to the Browns’ 1946-51 road jerseys and the Negro League Miami Marlins.

Tampa Bay Pirates – I like the shift from black to navy blue. It’s subtle, almost to the point that you might not notice until you see the road alt, but it elevates the design from being just another Pirates concept with “Tampa Bay” slapped on to two of the jerseys.

Vegas A’s – I love the return to Kelly green full-time. I’m not convinced the sparkly gold would work in real life, but it looks great in concept form!

Angels (Senators) – I might prefer this to what the Angels actually wear. I love the inclusion of athletic gold (something I’d like to see the Angels do in real life), and I’m inclined to think you could turn the crossbar of the Angels “A” jersey into a stylized angel wing.

Seattle White Sox – Great use of colors! Also, good job really putting your own spin on this team and keeping it from looking too much like @SFGiants58's equally excellent Seattle White Sox concept.

Fury – Really nice use of the warm color palette. My only nitpick is that I’m not sure how a star logo connects to the name “Fury.”

Rays (Rangers) – I’ll echo what other have said: I’d GLADLY take this look over the Rays’ current bland uniforms. Those wordmarks demonstrate that traditional-style baseball scripts could work just fine for Tampa Bay.

Angels (Senators) – Like the previous team, I probably prefer this set over what the Angels wear in real life. If and when the Halos decide to update their look, I can see them doing something like this. Amazing work!

Carolina Twins – I’m a sucker for those Charlotte colors, and I think the segregated use of purple and teal work really well here.

Pilots – Love the blue and gold set! Regarding the Mariners-colored version, I think we’ve discussed this before, but I’m not a fan of how the silver wordmarks look on the alts, though that just comes down to personal tastes. Everything else looks great, and it’s cool that the Mariners’ compass can be repurposed for the Pilots identity.

Milwaukee A’s – The Packers sleeve stripes are a great touch!

Washington Stars (Padres) – Looks great! I’d consider adding contrasting front numbers to the three non-home alt jerseys.

Washington Stars (Astros) – Despite what others have said, I actually think this identity works really well. The “Stars” script in particular is amazing! My only suggestion would be to add double (triple?) strokes to the home and road scripts to really make the most out of that tequila sunrise motif.

Denver Pirates – I definitely prefer your initial black and purple look, but if you have to use silver, I’d like to see it incorporated elsewhere than just the black alt.

Atlanta A’s – Red and athletic gold is such an underused color combo in baseball. The black alt might be my favorite of the bunch.

New Orleans Pelicans – Another one of my favorites! I respect that you resisted the temptation to use Mardi Gras colors and stuck with Indians/Guardians colors with just a touch of gold.

Pittsburgh Grays – A very crisp and clean look. I’m loving the off-white T-bars on the alt.

New Orleans & Florida White Sox – I love the playful-looking scripts. Interesting choice to go with orange pins over green for Florida (I dig it), and I’d buy that black “NOLA” alt in a heartbeat.

Tampa Bay Twins – The crossed “T” and “StP” flags are super clever!

Brewers (Browns) – Great job creating those scripts in the Orioles’ style. I imagine the caps would have the Barrelman’s face on them?

Orlando Rays – It’s amazing how good the Devil Rays gradient looks with the Rays’ fauxback wordmarks. This could be the basis for an excellent future Rays redesign.

Vegas Flamingos – I love this concept! One of my very favorites in the series. I’m curious how the wordmark & numbers on the home jersey would look with the colors flipped.

Denver A’s – I agree that the single outlined Old English wordmark looks cleaner and more legible. Nice work!

Angels (Browns) - Wouldn’t mind seeing how this would look in red and brown, as a nod to the team’s past and also a little wink at the other “holy” team (Padres) that also wears brown.

Keep up the excellent work! Looking forward to what else you have in store. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Hadn't gotten around to commenting on this project until now, but better late than ever, I suppose. I've really loved what you've done so far! Some comments:

Marlins (Browns) – Really nice job balancing black, teal and orange. For the road script, I'd like to see arched block letters with drop shadows, which could serve as both a nod to the Browns’ 1946-51 road jerseys and the Negro League Miami Marlins.

Tampa Bay Pirates – I like the shift from black to navy blue. It’s subtle, almost to the point that you might not notice until you see the road alt, but it elevates the design from being just another Pirates concept with “Tampa Bay” slapped on to two of the jerseys.

Vegas A’s – I love the return to Kelly green full-time. I’m not convinced the sparkly gold would work in real life, but it looks great in concept form!

Angels (Senators) – I might prefer this to what the Angels actually wear. I love the inclusion of athletic gold (something I’d like to see the Angels do in real life), and I’m inclined to think you could turn the crossbar of the Angels “A” jersey into a stylized angel wing.

Seattle White Sox – Great use of colors! Also, good job really putting your own spin on this team and keeping it from looking too much like @SFGiants58's equally excellent Seattle White Sox concept.

Fury – Really nice use of the warm color palette. My only nitpick is that I’m not sure how a star logo connects to the name “Fury.”

Rays (Rangers) – I’ll echo what other have said: I’d GLADLY take this look over the Rays’ current bland uniforms. Those wordmarks demonstrate that traditional-style baseball scripts could work just fine for Tampa Bay.

Angels (Senators) – Like the previous team, I probably prefer this set over what the Angels wear in real life. If and when the Halos decide to update their look, I can see them doing something like this. Amazing work!

Carolina Twins – I’m a sucker for those Charlotte colors, and I think the segregated use of purple and teal work really well here.

Pilots – Love the blue and gold set! Regarding the Mariners-colored version, I think we’ve discussed this before, but I’m not a fan of how the silver wordmarks look on the alts, though that just comes down to personal tastes. Everything else looks great, and it’s cool that the Mariners’ compass can be repurposed for the Pilots identity.

Milwaukee A’s – The Packers sleeve stripes are a great touch!

Washington Stars (Padres) – Looks great! I’d consider adding contrasting front numbers to the three non-home alt jerseys.

Washington Stars (Astros) – Despite what others have said, I actually think this identity works really well. The “Stars” script in particular is amazing! My only suggestion would be to add double (triple?) strokes to the home and road scripts to really make the most out of that tequila sunrise motif.

Denver Pirates – I definitely prefer your initial black and purple look, but if you have to use silver, I’d like to see it incorporated elsewhere than just the black alt.

Atlanta A’s – Red and athletic gold is such an underused color combo in baseball. The black alt might be my favorite of the bunch.

New Orleans Pelicans – Another one of my favorites! I respect that you resisted the temptation to use Mardi Gras colors and stuck with Indians/Guardians colors with just a touch of gold.

Pittsburgh Grays – A very crisp and clean look. I’m loving the off-white T-bars on the alt.

New Orleans & Florida White Sox – I love the playful-looking scripts. Interesting choice to go with orange pins over green for Florida (I dig it), and I’d buy that black “NOLA” alt in a heartbeat.

Tampa Bay Twins – The crossed “T” and “StP” flags are super clever!

Brewers (Browns) – Great job creating those scripts in the Orioles’ style. I imagine the caps would have the Barrelman’s face on them?

Orlando Rays – It’s amazing how good the Devil Rays gradient looks with the Rays’ fauxback wordmarks. This could be the basis for an excellent future Rays redesign.

Vegas Flamingos – I love this concept! One of my very favorites in the series. I’m curious how the wordmark & numbers on the home jersey would look with the colors flipped.

Denver A’s – I agree that the single outlined Old English wordmark looks cleaner and more legible. Nice work!

Angels (Browns) - Wouldn’t mind seeing how this would look in red and brown, as a nod to the team’s past and also a little wink at the other “holy” team (Padres) that also wears brown.

Keep up the excellent work! Looking forward to what else you have in store. 

Thank you for the feedback, I truly appreciate it! I don't have the time to do so right now, but I promise I'll get back to mocking up some of these ideas when I have the chance.

What if... the Mariners relocated to Tampa Bay?

Per recommendation from Jerry Reinsdorf & Bud Selig, the M's looked at relocation in the early 90's & Tampa was probably the best fit. This was my chance to try the navy/teal/gold scheme from the 2023 ASG logo.

xLs38bR.png

qaiC8zX.png

JZSzzME.png

9V20LfG.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Tampa Bay Mariners]

Alright @coco1997, I think I can go through these now:

On 7/20/2023 at 4:04 PM, coco1997 said:

I don't know if it'd work as the main road, but it would be a nice throwback!

weyOTKU.png

I'm honestly not fully convinced either, but it was worth a shot!

Yeah, there isn't really any connection, it was just about the only way to have some continuation from the Astros.

I think the "Stars" wordmark is a bit too big to fit a front number with it, and I wouldn't want just the "Washington" jersey to have a front number, either.

I honestly don't mind it. It does remind me a bit of the Twins' 2015 home jersey, which kind of reaffirms why I don't like that jersey. I think it works better here though.

POUC3Mx.png

I hadn't posted it on here, but I've since decided that I like the rename that @johne9109 suggested better, and with that I decided to add silver to the purple alt:

I2in08A.png

Yeah, I think the Pelicans pull off the navy/red/gold color scheme better than the Twins did when they tried it, so I wanted to see if I could do the scheme some justice.

Forest green pins would feel too dark for a Florida team to me, so orange was the easy choice.

Probably. Maybe even in a tri-color style like the O's.

I tried this, with a gold drop-shadow, but I ended up liking the black wordmarks better.

7PvNJkh.png

mSeuKGL.png

I probably prefer the navy myself, but this isn't bad either:

JfsTrQT.png

Thank you again for the in-depth feedback! I always love getting that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

All of these are spectacular work!

As far as relocations go, did no one besides the Browns ever want to move to Baltimore?

Thank you so much!

As far as I'm aware, I haven't seen anything about any other relocations to Baltimore, no. I guess the Browns were the first ones that were interested, and ended up staying.

What if... the (original) Senators remained in Washington?

The Senators moved to Minnesota in 1961 and became the Twins, but what if they stayed in DC? This set takes a Twins-inspired approach to their branding evolution.

VYZhdH2.png

RLQBLlq.png

KN7kXPz.png

Jmi5Rsv.png

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Applause 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Washington Senators (Twins)]

This has been one of my favorite series to follow along with, as all the work is well thought out and seems like a logical continuation of these proposed moves. Especially fond of your inclusion of various Milwaukee concepts.

The work on the Senators is great (particularly the sleeve patches), but I think that a few tweaks would elevate it a bit. The "S" stands out to me, as the connection between it and the E just seems odd. I suggest separating the two entirely, or finding a  different way to connect them if you were inclined to keep the connection. The DC alt is also nice as it connects to the Twins, but idk how much it connects to DC. I think you could stick with the monochrome look, but maybe shift to red + white or cream (and maybe a touch of silver) to resemble the DC flag. Blue and cream just seems kinda out of place in this set.

Like I said, great work throughout all of these concepts. I can't wait to see what's up next!

• Love 1

8 hours ago, fortunat1 said:

This has been one of my favorite series to follow along with, as all the work is well thought out and seems like a logical continuation of these proposed moves. Especially fond of your inclusion of various Milwaukee concepts.

The work on the Senators is great (particularly the sleeve patches), but I think that a few tweaks would elevate it a bit. The "S" stands out to me, as the connection between it and the E just seems odd. I suggest separating the two entirely, or finding a  different way to connect them if you were inclined to keep the connection. The DC alt is also nice as it connects to the Twins, but idk how much it connects to DC. I think you could stick with the monochrome look, but maybe shift to red + white or cream (and maybe a touch of silver) to resemble the DC flag. Blue and cream just seems kinda out of place in this set.

Like I said, great work throughout all of these concepts. I can't wait to see what's up next!

Thank you very much!

I just noticed the connection between the "S" and the "e" today after I posted, I might have to work on that.

For the DC alt, I hesitate to go red & white because that's very similar to the primary home. The cream on the home alt kind of reminds me of the use of cream in the Nationals City Connect, reflecting the monuments, and the navy reminds me of the Navy Yard next to Nationals Park. Maybe there's a way to more explicitly showcase that, I'll have to think about it. 

• Like 1

What if... the (second) Senators remained in Washington?

After the original Senators moved to Minnesota, Washington got an expansion team that lasted 10 years before moving to Texas to become the Rangers. The drop-shadow look takes inspiration from the Rangers.

9po75AA.png

p9aV1pX.png

BdL6nyL.png

Pvi4XZG.png

• Like 5

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Washington Senators (Rangers)]

What if... the Braves remained in Milwaukee (and changed their name)?

This is the same premise as the original Braves staying in Milwaukee design, but if they eventually changed their name to match the Minor League club. The Braves' golden yellow is elevated to primary status.

Xh1DKaL.png

J4tegi4.png

3CDzFu4.png

U4IKYRx.png

• Like 7

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Milwaukee Brewers (Braves)]

Future options involving the Expos

”Expos stay in Montreal, but change uniforms to what would’ve been the Nationals”

”Montreal steals the Browns from St Louis  20 years before Baltimore”

”Stadium dilemma never resolved in Expos infancy causing a sudden move to Buffalo”

I don’t know how true those last two are, but Wikipedia is one hell of a drug.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Future options involving the Expos

”Expos stay in Montreal, but change uniforms to what would’ve been the Nationals”

”Montreal steals the Browns from St Louis  20 years before Baltimore”

”Stadium dilemma never resolved in Expos infancy causing a sudden move to Buffalo”

I don’t know how true those last two are, but Wikipedia is one hell of a drug.

Do you have sources for those last two? If the Expos moved to Buffalo, I'm not sure what the name would be, but it might be worth a shot.

17 hours ago, Gundrummer said:

There hasn't been one dud in this entire series so far!  Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Thank you very much!

16 hours ago, HobbesTHero said:

I've loved this series! Keep up the good work! I was wondering if you were planning on doing an Oklahoma City / Florida Marlins "what if." It'd be something I'd love to see.

https://www.espn.co.uk/mlb/news/story?id=2332865

It's kinda a stretch to say there was anything serious, but I still think it'd be interesting.

I honestly did not have plans to do the Marlins moving to OKC, mostly because I'm not sure what I'd name them, but I might have to see if I can make something work in the next two weeks, before I run out of teams! 

What if... the Braves remained in Boston?

The Braves left Boston for Milwaukee in 1953, but what if they stayed? I figured the Braves would want to change their color scheme to differentiate from the Red Sox, so I replaced navy with forest green.

89pOq0v.png

8fosd3v.png

40lbhi8.png

d1wFikM.png

• Like 7