MLB MULTIVERSE

MJD7

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

Do you have sources for those last two? If the Expos moved to Buffalo, I'm not sure what the name would be, but it might be worth a shot.

Okay so I found a source for the Montreal-Buffalo scenario, but upon reading it lists not only the latter, but also Milwaukee and New Orleans, as backup cities. Early on in the article it does state that Montreal attended the 1933 Winter Meetings with the intent of landing a team. Whether or not that team was the Browns is up in the air.

https://tht.fangraphs.com/the-team-that-nearly-wasnt-the-montreal-expos/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

What if... the Braves remained in Boston?

The Braves left Boston for Milwaukee in 1953, but what if they stayed? I figured the Braves would want to change their color scheme to differentiate from the Red Sox, so I replaced navy with forest green.

89pOq0v.png

8fosd3v.png

40lbhi8.png

d1wFikM.png

I wish the Red Sox would adopt a color scheme similar to this

ZUH86xc.png

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Boston Braves]
3 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Okay so I found a source for the Montreal-Buffalo scenario, but upon reading it lists not only the latter, but also Milwaukee and New Orleans, as backup cities. Early on in the article it does state that Montreal attended the 1933 Winter Meetings with the intent of landing a team. Whether or not that team was the Browns is up in the air.

https://tht.fangraphs.com/the-team-that-nearly-wasnt-the-montreal-expos/

Thanks for that! I'll have to see what I can do, I'm not sure what I'd name the team for any of those cities, as "Expos" doesn't really work outside of Montreal. Do you have the Wikipedia sources you referenced in your previous post too? I'm just curious.

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

Thanks for that! I'll have to see what I can do, I'm not sure what I'd name the team for any of those cities, as "Expos" doesn't really work outside of Montreal. Do you have the Wikipedia sources you referenced in your previous post too? I'm just curious.

Yes!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Expos

The city, which had previously been considered a leading candidate to acquire the St. Louis Browns if the team had relocated in 1933

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=0CIyAAAAIBAJ&pg=6549%2C3288334

As far as names to try out-

Buffalo Can-Ams (showing unison between the two countries)

Milwaukee Brewers (just spin the eM  logo into Mb )

New Orleans/Louisiana Bayous (Same number of syllables as Expos and is what the state is known for)

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 2:06 PM, MJD7 said:

What if... the (second) Senators remained in Washington?

After the original Senators moved to Minnesota, Washington got an expansion team that lasted 10 years before moving to Texas to become the Rangers. The drop-shadow look takes inspiration from the Rangers.

9po75AA.png

p9aV1pX.png

BdL6nyL.png

Pvi4XZG.png

Would you by chance have the Washington Senators sleeve logo as a standalone? Want to create these in OOTP

What if... Cleveland's baseball team relocated to Seattle (and changed their name)?

With Cleveland's stadium lease expiring in 1964, the team looked at possibilities out west, likely just as leverage to get stadium upgrades. The forest green & red is inspired by the 2001 ASG.

(This design is essentially the same as @SFGiants58's original take on the Seattle Rainiers, so huge credit goes to him.)

PSr0Ew7.png

8DPz11w.png

Oo7C9nz.png

nrI9xbd.png

• Like 6

On 7/21/2023 at 9:11 PM, MJD7 said:

Alright @coco1997, I think I can go through these now:

I don't know if it'd work as the main road, but it would be a nice throwback!

weyOTKU.png

I'm honestly not fully convinced either, but it was worth a shot!

Yeah, there isn't really any connection, it was just about the only way to have some continuation from the Astros.

I think the "Stars" wordmark is a bit too big to fit a front number with it, and I wouldn't want just the "Washington" jersey to have a front number, either.

I honestly don't mind it. It does remind me a bit of the Twins' 2015 home jersey, which kind of reaffirms why I don't like that jersey. I think it works better here though.

POUC3Mx.png

I hadn't posted it on here, but I've since decided that I like the rename that @johne9109 suggested better, and with that I decided to add silver to the purple alt:

I2in08A.png

Yeah, I think the Pelicans pull off the navy/red/gold color scheme better than the Twins did when they tried it, so I wanted to see if I could do the scheme some justice.

Forest green pins would feel too dark for a Florida team to me, so orange was the easy choice.

Probably. Maybe even in a tri-color style like the O's.

I tried this, with a gold drop-shadow, but I ended up liking the black wordmarks better.

7PvNJkh.png

mSeuKGL.png

I probably prefer the navy myself, but this isn't bad either:

JfsTrQT.png

Thank you again for the in-depth feedback! I always love getting that.

- Really digging that arched block "Miami" for the Marlins and feel it's strong enough to be the primary road jersey. 

- The Stars look fantastic! The sunrise colors emanating from the script add a ton of personality to the jersey. And yeah, it works a lot better here than on the previous Twins' jerseys. 

- I love the Flamingos home jersey with the pink script & numbers and probably prefer it to your original version. I’d likely stick with the black script on the road jersey, though.

- The brown Angels jersey and silver wordmark on the Denver Rockies are also really nice!

On 7/20/2023 at 12:45 PM, MJD7 said:

What if... the Orioles relocated to Washington?

In 1976, the AL & NL adopted resolutions for the O's to play 13 home games at RFK Stadium, former home of the Senators. 3 years later, Edward Bennett Williams bought the team, & rumors swirled that he would move the team to DC.

DbOXD3e.png

D6mx1jI.png

MR7KoQk.png

Rps5TXP.png

Nice job tweaking the serifs of the "W" to match the ones from that retro "Orioles" script! 

On 7/21/2023 at 2:19 PM, MJD7 said:

What if... the Mariners relocated to Tampa Bay?

Per recommendation from Jerry Reinsdorf & Bud Selig, the M's looked at relocation in the early 90's & Tampa was probably the best fit. This was my chance to try the navy/teal/gold scheme from the 2023 ASG logo.

xLs38bR.png

qaiC8zX.png

JZSzzME.png

9V20LfG.png

Everything about TB looks great, but the teal and gold strokes on the home jersey wordmark and numbers kind of bleed together and end up looking green. Could we see teal wordmarks & numbers outlined in navy and then gold? It's not as much of an issue on the road jersey due to the gray background. 

On 7/22/2023 at 11:28 AM, MJD7 said:

What if... the (original) Senators remained in Washington?

The Senators moved to Minnesota in 1961 and became the Twins, but what if they stayed in DC? This set takes a Twins-inspired approach to their branding evolution.

VYZhdH2.png

RLQBLlq.png

KN7kXPz.png

Jmi5Rsv.png

Flipping the Twins' new cap logo upside down and using the three stars from the D.C. flag is great, and I actually have the exact same thing planned for an upcoming project of my own. I'm with @fortunat1 about not being sold on the mono-navy for the Sunday alt, but I also get your reasoning that mono-red would probably make it look too similar to the home jersey. 

I have a few suggestions that don’t appear to be on your list:

Montreal Royals – Alternate identity for the 1969 expansion Expos? The minor league Montreal Royals existed from 1928-1960, and as soon as the team folded, efforts were made to bring baseball back to Montreal.

Houston Colt .45s/Colts – Houston’s MLB club never rebrands as the Astros and retains the “Colts” moniker, but in observance of sensitivity to gun violence, maybe the name is repurposed to refer to the horse?

Keep up the awesome work!

• Like 4

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Seattle Rainiers (Cleveland)]
8 hours ago, thesieve22 said:

The mismatching piping is a nice touch. Great work. Never noticed how illegible the braves script is when it doesn’t say “Atlanta” or “braves.” That Milwaukee set is kinda tough to read

Thanks. Yeah, I think part of it is simply how long the word "Milwaukee" is.

7 hours ago, coco1997 said:

- Really digging that arched block "Miami" for the Marlins and feel it's strong enough to be the primary road jersey. 

- The Stars look fantastic! The sunrise colors emanating from the script add a ton of personality to the jersey. And yeah, it works a lot better here than on the previous Twins' jerseys. 

- I love the Flamingos home jersey with the pink script & numbers and probably prefer it to your original version. I’d likely stick with the black script on the road jersey, though.

- The brown Angels jersey and silver wordmark on the Denver Rockies are also really nice!

Thanks!

Nice job tweaking the serifs of the "W" to match the ones from that retro "Orioles" script! 

Thanks! That was definitely my favorite aspect of that set.

Everything about TB looks great, but the teal and gold strokes on the home jersey wordmark and numbers kind of bleed together and end up looking green. Could we see teal wordmarks & numbers outlined in navy and then gold? It's not as much of an issue on the road jersey due to the gray background. 

This might sound a bit silly, especially after expressing my distaste for the Twins doing the same thing, but the blending was kind of intentional, as I liked how it looked & it reminded me a bit of the Rays' 90's gradient. Here's a look, though:

jgiMT6V.png

On a purely aesthetic level, I probably prefer this look, but there's something about the navy wordmark that I like better for Tampa in particular.

Flipping the Twins' new cap logo upside down and using the three stars from the D.C. flag is great, and I actually have the exact same thing planned for an upcoming project of my own. I'm with @fortunat1 about not being sold on the mono-navy for the Sunday alt, but I also get your reasoning that mono-red would probably make it look too similar to the home jersey. 

This may be off-base, but I wonder if the issue isn't necessarily that the jersey is navy, but rather that the logo itself leaves a bit to be desired.

This idea is a bit more out-there, but maybe a full-on "District of Columbia" jersey would be better? It feels more in tune with the spirit of the "Twin Cities" alt. 

pAypYB7.png

8 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I have a few suggestions that don’t appear to be on your list:

Montreal Royals – Alternate identity for the 1969 expansion Expos? The minor league Montreal Royals existed from 1928-1960, and as soon as the team folded, efforts were made to bring baseball back to Montreal.

Houston Colt .45s/Colts – Houston’s MLB club never rebrands as the Astros and retains the “Colts” moniker, but in observance of sensitivity to gun violence, maybe the name is repurposed to refer to the horse?

Since the series deals exclusively with relocation or the lack thereof, these examples wouldn't fit under the criteria. Maybe the Browns could become the Royals if they relocated to Montreal, since "Browns" doesn't really seem to fit for the city in my mind. I don't know, I'll see what I can do.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, MJD7 said:

This might sound a bit silly, especially after expressing my distaste for the Twins doing the same thing, but the blending was kind of intentional, as I liked how it looked & it reminded me a bit of the Rays' 90's gradient. Here's a look, though:

jgiMT6V.png

I like the idea of trying to subtly reference the Devil Rays' gradients, but I definitely prefer this version! I meant to add that I also love the compass in the diamond design. 

11 hours ago, MJD7 said:

This may be off-base, but I wonder if the issue isn't necessarily that the jersey is navy, but rather that the logo itself leaves a bit to be desired.

This idea is a bit more out-there, but maybe a full-on "District of Columbia" jersey would be better? It feels more in tune with the spirit of the "Twin Cities" alt. 

pAypYB7.png

I like this! I think mono-red makes more sense for the alt, mainly because of the design of the D.C. flag, but that would probably necessitate flipping the colors of the script and TV numbers on the home jersey, which I'm not sure you'd want to do. 

11 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Since the series deals exclusively with relocation or the lack thereof, these examples wouldn't fit under the criteria. Maybe the Browns could become the Royals if they relocated to Montreal, since "Browns" doesn't really seem to fit for the city in my mind. I don't know, I'll see what I can do.

Fair enough. 👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MJD7 said:

pAypYB7.png

Maybe instead of "District of Columbia", you could try "The District" on one or two leveled text.

On  a general note about the Twins to DC set: I think the separate color scheme for the jersey elements works better for a DC based team (than the current Twins) due to the cuff striping aligning with the Washington, DC flag.

• Like 1

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

25 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

I think Bisons would have been the name chosen if Buffalo had gotten an MLB team.

Fair enough. I wanted to avoid suggesting MiLB team names.

The more I think on it, New Orleans Kings is probably better than Bayous 

what if New Orleans not only stole the Montreal franchise, but also narrowly beat Kansas City to the punch on the Royals name?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

The more I think on it, New Orleans Kings is probably better than Bayous 

what if New Orleans not only stole the Montreal franchise, but also narrowly beat Kansas City to the punch on the Royals name?

To add on to that, then Ewing Kauffman would've chosen Cowboys, Blues, or Mules for his franchise

• Like 1

gT1BtSs.png

4 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

District of Columbia is definitely hard to work with, but the “District of” portion feels really disjointed from the rest of the script.

Yeah, it was definitly very difficult to implement properly, and I'm still not sure if I like it. I tried to stack them at the same size as well, but that was too much.

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I like the idea of trying to subtly reference the Devil Rays' gradients, but I definitely prefer this version! I meant to add that I also love the compass in the diamond design. 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I like this! I think mono-red makes more sense for the alt, mainly because of the design of the D.C. flag, but that would probably necessitate flipping the colors of the script and TV numbers on the home jersey, which I'm not sure you'd want to do. 

Honestly,  even if I did flip the colors on the primary home, I'm not sure it would be enough to distinguish from a DC flag alt:
Ei3Flgd.png

lMuD8wE.png

2 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

I think Bisons would have been the name chosen if Buffalo had gotten an MLB team.

If I do end up doing an Expos → Buffalo design, it'd probably be the Bisons.

2 hours ago, logo-maker said:

Maybe instead of "District of Columbia", you could try "The District" on one or two leveled text.

It's a little too "City Connect" for my tastes, but I don't necessarily hate it:

vArCIc5.png

2 hours ago, logo-maker said:

On  a general note about the Twins to DC set: I think the separate color scheme for the jersey elements works better for a DC based team (than the current Twins) due to the cuff striping aligning with the Washington, DC flag.

Yeah, the slightly changed striping was absolutely intentional in referencing the DC flag.

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I actually like going with MiLB names for expansion/relocation teams, as it shows there is some established precedence for the name (so long as it is actually MLB quality). 

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Maybe!

• Like 7

On 7/25/2023 at 10:57 PM, rjohnson1320 said:

Would you by chance have the Washington Senators sleeve logo as a standalone? Want to create these in OOTP

I'm sorry, I don't know how I missed this, but send me a DM and we can figure out the best way to send you the logo.

What if... the Reds relocated to San Diego?

Stadium issues prompted owner Bill DeWitt to "consider" moving out west in the 1964, and their affiliation with the PCL Padres made the most sense. Yellow is paired with red as a reference to the San Diego flag.

CWEnrbS.png

XxHLLks.png

dXS8dOL.png

cXTQuiy.png

• Like 7

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [San Diego Reds]