MLB MULTIVERSE

MJD7

I like StP, but it has the same problem I have with the Twin Cities alternate - the white and cream on the same uniform, and the white bleeds into the cream. Just the cream would work perfectly. The pig on the sleeve on the alt is absolutely fantastic.

On 2023-08-08 at 8:43 PM, MJD7 said:

In 1934, the Cards were rumored to be on the move to Detroit, as the owner publicly said it would be "ideal," but the Tigers would've never allowed it. The silver bat is inspired by Detroit's famous automotive industry.

In the long term, it was for the best that the Cards never moved to Motown. When the population started to decline, they would almost certainly have been looking to relocate and probably gone by the 1970s or 80s. There is no way that two teams could have survived in a city that was losing thousands of residents every year and is mostly car dependant suburbs.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Even there there aren’t any remaining slots on the list at the moment, I’m not quite done yet. I have a few extra teams remaining, I’m just deciding which ones I want to officially slot in, and which ones might need a bit more time, if I even want to add them at all.

I will say, I’ve already at least started designs on each of these recommendations you’ve given except for the Cowboys, who I’m gonna try to come up with something for as soon as possible. 

Great to hear that you’re planning to do something with the teams I mentioned! For what it’s worth, I believe the original KC Cowboys wore brown, so maybe you could do something with that color.

I also had the idea that the logo could be the Royals’ BP logo, but with a cowboy hat replacing the crown above the “KC.”

• Like 1

I absolutely love the Saints! 😍

That St. Paul script is beautiful too!! 

17 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The Saints turned out great! I'm curious what the significance is of the pig logo on the alt's sleeve. 

@MJD7

The City of St. Paul used to be called Pig’s Eye, after a guy with the same nickname. He was a rough guy who ran I think a whiskey distillery out of a cave close to downtown St. Paul today. And people wanted it changed to something nicer, and a priest has started a small church of St. Paul nearby, so St. Paul was chosen.

The modern day AAA Saints have played up the Pig angle for a while with all sorts of gimmicks, including a mascot named Muddonna, and a live pet pig that gets named each season. 

• Like 4

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

20 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

I like StP, but it has the same problem I have with the Twin Cities alternate - the white and cream on the same uniform, and the white bleeds into the cream. Just the cream would work perfectly. The pig on the sleeve on the alt is absolutely fantastic.

Yeah, I admit the white & cream shouldn't work together, but for some reason I like it. Maybe it's just that my rose-colored lenses on the Twins' recent rebrand haven't quite worn off yet, I'm not sure.

20 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

In the long term, it was for the best that the Cards never moved to Motown. When the population started to decline, they would almost certainly have been looking to relocate and probably gone by the 1970s or 80s. There is no way that two teams could have survived in a city that was losing thousands of residents every year and is mostly car dependant suburbs.

Agreed. Plus, the Cards would have probably never become the classic brand they are today if they were sharing town with the Tigers.

19 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Great to hear that you’re planning to do something with the teams I mentioned! For what it’s worth, I believe the original KC Cowboys wore brown, so maybe you could do something with that color.

I also had the idea that the logo could be the Royals’ BP logo, but with a cowboy hat replacing the crown above the “KC.”

I'm just starting preliminary ideas for the Cowboys, but some shade of brown is definitely part of the color scheme I was envisioning. I like the cowboy hat idea too!

4 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I absolutely love the Saints! 😍

That St. Paul script is beautiful too!! 

Thank you!

What if... the Giants relocated to Washington?

As @coco1997 mentioned, a group of DC investors attempted to buy the team and move them in time for the 1978 season, but it never materialized. I went with a color scheme inspired by the cherry blossoms of the Nats' City Connect uniform.

BIYMINV.png

HqMPzAz.png

jzVye7s.png

N0bU7Tc.png

• Like 7
  • Love 3

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Washington Giants]
2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

What if... the Giants relocated to Washington?

As @coco1997 mentioned, a group of DC investors attempted to buy the team and move them in time for the 1978 season, but it never materialized. I went with a color scheme inspired by the cherry blossoms of the Nats' City Connect uniform.

BIYMINV.png

HqMPzAz.png

jzVye7s.png

N0bU7Tc.png

Not sure whether this was intentional or not, but the color scheme is somewhat reminiscent of the NY Giants’ 1916 uniforms. Great work!

• Like 2

On 8/11/2023 at 6:19 PM, teeray01 said:

Great job on all the concepts I've seen here.  I think it has been mentioned but is there any chance that you could do a Houston design rebranding the Colt .45s as the Houston Colts?

Sorry I missed this before, but since that rebrand wouldn't have anything to do with relocation, it doesn't quite fit within the parameters of this series.

What if... the Angels relocated to Long Beach?

Once again per @coco1997, The Angels met with Long Beach officials in 2019 about relocating to a new stadium at an undeveloped plot of land near Long Beach Convention Center. For this iteration I went all-in on the City Connect surfer aesthetic.

8R37lxs.png

XiJtT7Q.png

puSvJyi.png

bx3YqAW.png

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Long Beach Angels]
21 hours ago, MJD7 said:

What if... the Angels relocated to Long Beach?

Once again per @coco1997, The Angels met with Long Beach officials in 2019 about relocating to a new stadium at an undeveloped plot of land near Long Beach Convention Center. For this iteration I went all-in on the City Connect surfer aesthetic.

8R37lxs.png

XiJtT7Q.png

puSvJyi.png

bx3YqAW.png

Great thinking to embrace the Angels' City Connect look full-time for Long Beach!

I'm kind of curious to see what the set would look like with the more medium blue from the Long Beach flag replacing navy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Great thinking to embrace the Angels' City Connect look full-time for Long Beach!

I'm kind of curious to see what the set would look like with the more medium blue from the Long Beach flag replacing navy. 

Thanks!

Personally, I think the navy is pretty essential in giving contrast to the bright red & sand of this set.

• Like 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Buffalo Bisons (Expos)]
1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

What if... the Expos relocated to Buffalo?

This one would *technically* count as a relocation, as Montreal's bid for an expansion franchise nearly fell through before they even played a game, and Buffalo was one of the cities interested if it did. I went with the name "Bisons."

HoK6fkI.png

CeXd8pn.png

BHfYfHS.png

UXTd84i.png

This feels like it could be the spiritual successor to the Buffalo BufFeds/Blues of the Federal League, right down to the logo. 

Side note, as @DCarp1231 previously alluded to, this article confirms that an attempt to purchase and relocate the Pirates to Indianapolis was made in 1985. Couldn't find anything about the A's, though. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

This feels like it could be the spiritual successor to the Buffalo BufFeds/Blues of the Federal League, right down to the logo. 

Side note, as @DCarp1231 previously alluded to, this article confirms that an attempt to purchase and relocate the Pirates to Indianapolis was made in 1985. Couldn't find anything about the A's, though. 

I posted an article about it on the previous page.

Here’s another article confirming the A’s as a target in 1985 as well as a failed attempt to purchase and relocate the Twins in 1984-

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2019/03/07/art-angotti-man-who-almost-brought-major-league-baseball-indy-dies-indianapolis-arrows/3094766002/

There is even a glimpse at the Arrows intended uniforms. It’s strange because they give off major Braves vibes IMO

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I posted an article about it on the previous page.

Here’s another article confirming the A’s as a target in 1985 as well as a failed attempt to purchase and relocate the Twins in 1984-

While that MLB.com article seems to just speculate that the Pirates could have relocated and become the Arrows, the one above confirms it was a possibility.

I can honestly say I had never heard about the Twins possibly moving to Indianapolis, though!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

While that MLB.com article seems to just speculate that the Pirates could have relocated and become the Arrows, the one above confirms it was a possibility.

I can honestly say I had never heard about the Twins possibly moving to Indianapolis, though!

Full script-

spacer.png

I really hope these folks were reimbursed.

Also, there’s not much sauce to this pasta, but apparently Angotti wasn’t the only one vying for the Twins in ‘84. Donald Trump offered the most money, but lost presumably to his noncommittal to keeping the team in the Minnesota. The former also sent a letter to Cleveland with the intention of bidding for them a year prior in 1983.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/donald-trump-had-the-top-bid-on-the-minnesota-twins-in-1984-but-lost/amp/

There’s honestly nothing definitive in the article or any I’ve searched that says the Twins or (now)Guardians would’ve been moved to New York or New Jersey, but it would’ve been likely.

EDIT: Found an article that states “many believe” Trump would’ve moved the (now)Guardians to Tampa

https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/2015/10/donald_trumps_bid_for_the_clev.html

• Like 2

The Bisons look great and the script is brilliant. Though in a universe without the Expos, would we have even seen Racing Stripes in the MLB?

Speaking of the Expos, after Norfolk failed to land what used to be Expos, there were talks to bring the Marlins to Hampton Roads. The article about the possible relocation is mentioned in the ninth citation for the Norfolk Destroyers post in the Defunct Saga.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Though in a universe without the Expos, would we have even seen Racing Stripes in the MLB?

The Phillies were actually the first team to wear racing stripes in 1970 or 1971. The Expos didn't adopt their racing striped look until 1980. 

• Like 1