Cities that can support more than 1 NFL team series (Part 8 ***FINAL*** - San Francisco, CA 7/23/2023)

Zerovoltz

On 7/17/2023 at 10:58 AM, JH42XCC said:

I hope we'll be seeing these teams in this series:

• Milwaukee
  • Canton
  • Dayton
  • Memphis
  • Raleigh-Durham or Greensboro
  • Baton Rouge
  • Tampa Bay #2 (St. Petersburg)
  • Miami #2 or Nassau, Bahamas
  • Orlando
  • West Virginia
  • Atlanta #2
  • Syracuse/Rochester or Niagara Falls
  • Indianapolis #2 or Fort Wayne
  • Colorado Springs
  • Kansas City #2 or St. Louis
  • Las Vegas #2
  • Detroit #2 or Grand Rapids or Lansing
  • Saint Paul, MN
  • Phoenix #2 or Tucson
  • Oakland or Sacramento
  • Tacoma

Thought about Phoenix...but I'm not sure that even with a large population like they have, that they are a 2 market area.  I do think the Raiders leaving Oakland that you can have another team there or Sacramento and I'll probalby do that one.  I hit Atlanta #2  ...and it's the most unpopular design I've made so far :D  ....but one of my favorites actually. 

Even though some of the others listed might be sort of big enough for a second team like St Paul or Detroit, I don't see those places as really being supportive or have quite enough poeple to be fans of another team.

So, the only others that will be in this series are Washington, DC and probalby Oakland/Sacramento.

Some of your list would be single market expansion teams as is...like Orlando and Memphis. 

3 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

LOL....come on guys!  Think of all the free marketing you get anytime someone types out an email address or twitter handle...your team logo is right there all the time!  :D

LOL, I do appreciate this.

I will say that I agree with others that the name and heavy @ symbol use isn't working as-is imo, but there are some tweaks that could make this into a solid concept... I like what you have going with the Owl logo (maybe change or add some style to the @ symbol eyes though, not just the typeface), and Atlanta Owls would be a solid name in my book; fits with the bird theme for Atlanta teams (Falcons, Hawks, Thrashers, etc). Atlee works as a mascot name though. I wouldn't name the team "@tlanta", in part because @ already includes the 't' in it, so if anything I'd say it should be "@lanta". To me it'd be like saying "ATM Machine" lol.  But given how prominent social media is today I would not begrudge if "@lanta" became a secondary wordmark used on an alternate jersey, especially if that was the team's actual social media handle. "@L" could maybe become a secondary logo, but not with typeface... not with typeface. lol. Its worth noting that a team using a public domain font as its wordmark and logo is begging the public to make knock off merchandise for the team.

RE: the uniforms, I like where you went with it, but would definitely change the helmet to either the Owl logo or maybe just the Owl wing on the sides similar to the Eagles or Oregon Ducks. On the away uniforms I would also maybe try using brown on the numbers of the white and cream jerseys, that would be easier to see in contrast to the lighter jersey colors.

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

On 7/18/2023 at 11:38 AM, Zerovoltz said:

For the 6th 2nd city franchise, we have the Atlanta @'s  (pronounced "ats")  with an owl mascot named Atlee.  Cream, Brown and Black are the team colors.  @ logo and typeface wordmark.  Atlee Owl seconardary logo.  White brown and cream sets.  Atlanta is rapidly growning huge metropolis and I believe it could support a 2nd NFL team at this point.....  Was thinking about doing Atlanta Southern Stars, but just couldn't come up with any designs I liked for a logo etc.  I know its unorthodox, but liked the aliteration of ATlanta ATs.  

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

This is the most cursed team name, but honestly, it's funny and uquine. 😅

2 hours ago, Wildcomet said:

LOL, I do appreciate this.

I will say that I agree with others that the name and heavy @ symbol use isn't working as-is imo, but there are some tweaks that could make this into a solid concept... I like what you have going with the Owl logo (maybe change or add some style to the @ symbol eyes though, not just the typeface), and Atlanta Owls would be a solid name in my book; fits with the bird theme for Atlanta teams (Falcons, Hawks, Thrashers, etc). Atlee works as a mascot name though. I wouldn't name the team "@tlanta", in part because @ already includes the 't' in it, so if anything I'd say it should be "@lanta". To me it'd be like saying "ATM Machine" lol.  But given how prominent social media is today I would not begrudge if "@lanta" became a secondary wordmark used on an alternate jersey, especially if that was the team's actual social media handle. "@L" could maybe become a secondary logo, but not with typeface... not with typeface. lol. Its worth noting that a team using a public domain font as its wordmark and logo is begging the public to make knock off merchandise for the team.

RE: the uniforms, I like where you went with it, but would definitely change the helmet to either the Owl logo or maybe just the Owl wing on the sides similar to the Eagles or Oregon Ducks. On the away uniforms I would also maybe try using brown on the numbers of the white and cream jerseys, that would be easier to see in contrast to the lighter jersey colors.

Yes, just yes

Going with Owls seems much more professional

I imagine they wouldn't lean on the @ imagery just recently (in the social media era), I'd think they've been doing it since the late 90s/early 00s when the internet really became popular

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

• Zerovoltz changed the title to Cities that can support more than 1 NFL team series (Part 7 - Washington, DC 7/22/2023)

Next up in the series is Washington, DC.  I present you with the Washington Weasels.  I had done a WFT/Commanders rebrand using a similar idea...and this expands on that quite a bit.  The Weasels name is meant to represent both a wily apex predator and at the same time, be a backhanded knock on the politicians in Washington.  Team colors are red, forest green and silver.  Very high contrast.  One of my goals in this theme is to avoid existing NFL team color combos....and no one does Red and Green together.  The red and green combo is inspired by the Minot St Beavers...a small college in Minot, North Dakota where I lived a for a couple years.  Weasel head logo with the W bordering the ear to eye.  Secondary logo of back to back letter "W's that form the Washington monument between them.  Silver helmet with red facemask, silver pants with thick red strip and green borders.  Not my favorite in the set.  I had thought about doing a 1 dollar bill based theme called the Washington "1"s.  or ONES....but opted against it.  Also considered a Northern Virgina branding and theme but couldn't come up with anything I liked.  Briefly thought about Norfolk/Virginia Beach branding but that city is too far away and probalby big enough to fit into a set of NFL expansion series.  ....and so this is what I ended up with.  

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

• Zerovoltz changed the title to Cities that can support more than 1 NFL team series (Part 8 ***FINAL*** - San Francisco, CA 7/23/2023)

And for the final installment of this series....I present the San Fancisco Sea Turtles.   San Franciso just had the Oakland Raiders and the surrounding area has more than enough people to support another NFL squad.  Thought of doing some sort of miner theme, but the 49ers already own that space...but considered Sacramento Gold, or Sacramento Prospectors, and Miners....just didn't want to clash with the Niners theme.  So, considered San Francisco Seals, Seamonters and Sea Lions.  Didn't do Seals...failed NHL franchis with awful logo....didn't do sea lions because Detroit has Lions already.  and didn't do sea monsters because that is too much of a resemblance to the Seattle Kraken..so I settled on Sea Turtles.  Dark Green, Green and light green and light blue are the colors.  Dark green jersey with turtle shell pattern on shoulders.  Light green numbers.  Light blue TV nubmers.  Helmet is light blue with light green facemask and the sea turtle swimming through the water (light blue on the helmet)  "Sea Turtles" accross the chest.  The Whites lose the turtle pattern on the shoulders and the trim is light blue with dark green numbers and light green TV numbers.   The alternate "SF" interlocking logo is on the chest.  The "Sea Turtles" font is from TMNT but I didn't want to really borrow more than that from the Ninja Turtles.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1