Cities that can support more than 1 NFL team series (Part 8 ***FINAL*** - San Francisco, CA 7/23/2023)

Zerovoltz

A lot of demographics have changed over the years and there are some places that could easily support more than 1 team.  The first in this series is the Ft. Worth Wranglers.  The Dallas Ft. Worth Metroplex has around 8 million or more people....way more than there were back in the early 60's when both the Cowboys and Dallas Texans were in the area at the same time.  

I present the Fort Worth Wranglers.  Wranglers is a pretty run of the mill texas sports team name and it's pretty much the same thing as a cowboy...so not alot of deviation from the texas/cowboy type theme.  The horsehead logo is pretty much the same as the NFL Calgary Flames ALT logo horsehead.  The Brown and Yellow color scheme is inspired by the Wyoming Cowoboys.  White and brown home and away jerseys with a yellow ALT.  Shoulder sides have an "FTW" cow brand secondary logo.  That logo also appears just below the colar on the ALTS.  The "Wrangler" wordmark is borrowed from the 40's era Wrangler jeans co. wordmark and appears below the colar on the regular home and away jerseys.  Number font is IFC Rodeo.  

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2

Chicago has a long history with Pro Football and had two NFL teams until 1960 when the Cardinals left.  That metro area could easily support another team.  I went with "Spikes" for the name.  Chicago is the largest rail hub in the world.  It sees more rail freight traffic than any other city.  I also wanted to pick something that hadn't been done in Chicago before and they've gone through a long list of team names over the years but never any spikes.  I went with a very simple black and white color scheme.  No other team uses only black and white and I think it goes well with the railroad theme here.  Two crossed spikes as primary logo, Alternate logos of a 1930's art deco locomotive on the shoulder sides...and an Illinois state outline with S having spike through it.  (not used on uniform itself)  Used Microsoft magneto font for "Chicago" accross the front of the jersey and on helmet front....and also for the numbers.  Pants stripes are a simple black railroad track pattern.    Went "off the rails" for the ALT using Thomas the Tank Engine theme.  Thomas himself on the helmet, the primary spikes logo moves to the shoulder sides and is gold with red accents.  Block numbers.  Gold and red accented pant and helmet stripes.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

As someone who is working on a Chicago football concept also I am kind of wishing I had thought of the Spikes name, it's clever especially given the word's dual meaning for railroads and football. I like the spike in the S design you came up with, and the crossed spikes logo also on the helmet. I could also picture a faux-retro railworker spiking a football logo with this set. The train track stripes are another good touch.

Two possible change I would suggest is using the SPIKES wordmark on the home jersey and saving Chicago for the away and alt jerseys, and possibly removing the silver color from the sleeves. It seems to be the only place in the brand it's used and it kind of crowds the train a bit on the sleeves.

A question, is there a connection with Chicago and Thomas the Train, or was it just a case of Thomas is a famous train and the colors make for a nice looking alt jersey?

• Like 2

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

2 hours ago, Wildcomet said:

As someone who is working on a Chicago football concept also I am kind of wishing I had thought of the Spikes name, it's clever especially given the word's dual meaning for railroads and football. I like the spike in the S design you came up with, and the crossed spikes logo also on the helmet. I could also picture a faux-retro railworker spiking a football logo with this set. The train track stripes are another good touch.

Two possible change I would suggest is using the SPIKES wordmark on the home jersey and saving Chicago for the away and alt jerseys, and possibly removing the silver color from the sleeves. It seems to be the only place in the brand it's used and it kind of crowds the train a bit on the sleeves.

A question, is there a connection with Chicago and Thomas the Train, or was it just a case of Thomas is a famous train and the colors make for a nice looking alt jersey?

Thanks for the comments!

1.  I like your suggestion about the spikes wordmark on home and the chicago on the away.  

2.  Thomas has no connection to Chicago that I know of, I just was struggling to come up with an ALT....and thought I'd just go completely away from the B and W color scheme and make something associated with trains that I enjoyed as a kid and think would be a cool conecpt to wear maybe once...I think some kids would find it neat.  I am sure if I thought about it, I could come up with an alt more in line with what I have.

3.  The silver color isn't meant to be viewed as an actual team/uniform color....it's my very poor MS paint attempt at trying to give the illusion of shading.  The intent is that the entire shoulder side is in fact white.

I'm not imagining extra NFL teams here, rather minor league affiliates if the NFL were to go that route. The Thomas jersey certainly gives that vibe

Maybe the helmet and pants on that one can be gray? Thomas' face is gray, there is no white anywhere on him

• Like 1

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

On 7/9/2023 at 5:51 PM, Wildcomet said:

spacer.png

• Like 2

• Zerovoltz changed the title to Cities that can support more than 1 NFL team series (Part 3 - Philadelphia 7/12/2025)

Next up is Philadelphia.  Plenty big enough market to support a 2nd NFL franchise.  And that franchise is..... the New Jersey Jokers.  The NEW YORK Giants and Jets play in New Jersey..so in this case, the Jokers play in Philadelphia, but call New Jersey home.  Inspired by the states gambling history, we have a motley joker as the mascot with Purple, Blue, Green and Red colors, with yellow accents.  A playeing card word mark for the NJ logo and playing card logo....also used for the numbers.  4 ACES on the shoulder sides.  The jester cap logo appears on the pant sides.  White with red trim home jerseys.  Green with red trim roads.  Pants are purple with blue striping.  Helmet stripe is the 4 suites.  No ALT (yet) as color scheme is already vibrant as is.  

spacer.pngspacer.png

• WOAH 1

• Zerovoltz changed the title to Cities that can support more than 1 NFL team series (Part 4 - New York/New England/Hartford 7/13/2023)

Ok...this one is really kind of lazy.  Also questionable if it fits the "2nd Franchise" one city criteria.  I opted for Hartford and kind of consider it a mish mash of being part Bostons second team and part New Yorks third.  Hartford on it's own, isn't a market that merits a franchise but if you consider the sheer number of people in both the Boston and New York Metro...then it's a much more compelling case.  There are more than enough people in teh surrounding, nearby areas to support another team.  Maybe if you considered it "Southern New England" drawing Both Hartford, Providence, RI and other nearby towns..you'd have something that fits the definition of 2nd city team...or region anyhow.

So, what I have here is a very unoriginal Hartford Whalers NFL team.  Pretty much the entire concept is just borrowed straight up from the NHL team.  I don't care.  The Whalers logo, brand, etc...ranks right up there among the great designs and logos IMO and shouldn't be wasting away.  In this scenario, the new NFL team works out a deal with the Carolina Hurricanes to restore the Whale where it belongs.  

White primary helmet with the two tone Whale H logo.  Grey facemask.  White tops with green pants and trim and striping similar to the hockey jersey.  Seconadary whale logo on shoulder sides....same as hockey team from early 80's.  All white version, All green version and Gray ALTS with the green helmet and the all white Whale H logo...with slightly different striping pattern on helmet and pants.  spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • LOL 1

And even better, they could be in the NFC and Bostonians can easily get Whalers games on FOX while Nutmeggers still get Pats on CBS. The good question would be since the Whalers would be treated as the "third NYC market team"  at the same time, maybe FOX 5 would choose to cover Giants or Whalers depending on who is better at the time, or the NFL makes an exception and puts the 2nd team on WWOR

• Like 2

• Zerovoltz changed the title to Cities that can support more than 1 NFL team series (Part 5 - Houston, TX 7/15/2023)

Next up is Houston.  Houston has enough people to support 2 NFL teams, but IRL, any expansion to San Antonio / Austin, is going to draw some fans from the Houston market.  But, on it's own, Houston is a huge football crazed city and this the NFC cross town rival, Houston Comets.  I didn't want to do yet another cowboy / bull theme...already added the Wranglers in Ft. Worth.  So, thought about something kind of space related as Houston of course is known for that....and so came up with Comets.  The logo is inspired/borrow from the old Major Indoor Soccer League defunct Kansas City Comets.  I always liked the logo as a kid and thought it was worthy of being kind of brought back here...though it's modified to make it Houston centric with the HC in the middle.  Dark gray helmet meant to resemble a night sky with the bright red and orange comet soaring through it on the helmet.  Gray and white jersey sets.  Alternate HC logo on side of pants.  Alternate HC logo on gray jersey and Comets wordmark on teh white.  

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I must admit, while I love the Comets idea in theory, I’m not a huge fan of this concept.  The colors just don’t work for me.  I feel like the gray needs to be darker, like either dark navy or black.  Not sure about red/yellow, but it could work.  Love the wordmark and logos though!  How about doing an altered version of the old Comets WNBA alternate logo?  I love your idea here and think it has a ton of potential!  Love your Hartford concept.  Absolutely glorious!

• Like 1

spacer.png

I hope we'll be seeing these teams in this series:

• Milwaukee
  • Canton
  • Dayton
  • Memphis
  • Raleigh-Durham or Greensboro
  • Baton Rouge
  • Tampa Bay #2 (St. Petersburg)
  • Miami #2 or Nassau, Bahamas
  • Orlando
  • West Virginia
  • Atlanta #2
  • Syracuse/Rochester or Niagara Falls
  • Indianapolis #2 or Fort Wayne
  • Colorado Springs
  • Kansas City #2 or St. Louis
  • Las Vegas #2
  • Detroit #2 or Grand Rapids or Lansing
  • Saint Paul, MN
  • Phoenix #2 or Tucson
  • Oakland or Sacramento
  • Tacoma
  • Like 2

YOZXkBG.png?1

10 minutes ago, JH42XCC said:

I hope we'll be seeing these teams in this series:

• Milwaukee
  • Canton
  • Dayton
  • Memphis
  • Raleigh-Durham or Greensboro
  • Baton Rouge
  • Tampa Bay #2 (St. Petersburg)
  • Miami #2 or Nassau, Bahamas
  • Orlando
  • West Virginia
  • Atlanta #2
  • Syracuse/Rochester or Niagara Falls
  • Indianapolis #2 or Fort Wayne
  • Colorado Springs
  • Kansas City #2 or St. Louis
  • Las Vegas #2
  • Detroit #2 or Grand Rapids or Lansing
  • Saint Paul, MN
  • Phoenix #2 or Tucson
  • Oakland or Sacramento
  • Tacoma

No way would most of those places be able to support 2 NFL teams, and a good number of those places (Lansing, Baton Rouge, WV, Colorado Springs, Canton) couldn't support an NFL franchise full stop. I also highly doubt Hartford could too, with it's declining population and that there are already 3 teams in the market area, would also struggle hugely unless the team came red hot out of the gate from the get go.

It would be interesting to see concepts for them though.

8 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

No way would most of those places be able to support 2 NFL teams, and a good number of those places (Lansing, Baton Rouge, WV, Colorado Springs, Canton) couldn't support an NFL franchise full stop.

That's why I said, these feel more like minor league affiliates

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

• Zerovoltz changed the title to Cities that can support more than 1 NFL team series (Part 6 - Atlanta, GA 7/18/2023)

For the 6th 2nd city franchise, we have the Atlanta @'s  (pronounced "ats")  with an owl mascot named Atlee.  Cream, Brown and Black are the team colors.  @ logo and typeface wordmark.  Atlee Owl seconardary logo.  White brown and cream sets.  Atlanta is rapidly growning huge metropolis and I believe it could support a 2nd NFL team at this point.....  Was thinking about doing Atlanta Southern Stars, but just couldn't come up with any designs I liked for a logo etc.  I know its unorthodox, but liked the aliteration of ATlanta ATs.  

• LOL 1