2024 NFL Changes

10 hours ago, PERRIN said:

I may just be young but I vastly prefer full-color socks to half-white/half-color. The color blocking of each element flows far more naturally to me when every individual element is entirely one color. It may be traditional and stem from a once-practical need, but I don't think it's the kind of traditional choice that necessarily needs  to be preserved. As long as they make sense with the rest of the uniform and contrast the pants, they look excellent.

Solid color socks have grown on me. I think one of the original issues with that style, at least for me, was associating them with Color Rush.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 655321 said:

Other than, "because you don't like them," why? 

Same question in reverse. Other than "because you like them", why?

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

As a fan of a team that's not local to where I live, I'm in favor of alternates being show cased on a national broadcast. Otherwise, I wouldn't get to see them in action. Just my .02¢

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Haz_Matt said:

As a fan of a team that's not local to where I live, I'm in favor of alternates being show cased on a national broadcast. Otherwise, I wouldn't get to see them in action. Just my .02¢

that's even MORE of a reason to make it so that you cant wear alts on a national broadcast. As someone that's unable to watch them regularly, you should always be able to see them the way that they should be looking.

THAT SAID

NFL needs to get rid of alts anyways. For a 17(20 including preseason) game season, you just dont have time and space for them

• Like 7
  • Dislike 1

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

11 minutes ago, Haz_Matt said:

I agree, but for the opposite reason, of getting to see alternates of other  teams that I’m not a fan of. Since I don’t really watch many games that aren’t the Vikings (my team) other than primetime, that’s a great place to show off those alternate looks I otherwise would probably miss beyond the occasional highlight.

I like alternates during primetime because it adds a bit to the “special event” feel of it. This might get me booed out of this thread, but if a team has a “black-out” uniform or something similar, I’d much rather them wear it during a primetime game than on a random Sunday at 1:00. It just looks better in that context to me.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 2

5 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I agree, but for the opposite reason, of getting to see alternates of other  teams that I’m not a fan of. Since I don’t really watch many games that aren’t the Vikings (my team) other than primetime, that’s a great place to show off those alternate looks I otherwise would probably miss beyond the occasional highlight.

I like alternates during primetime because it adds a bit to the “special event” feel of it. This might get me booed out of this thread, but if a team has a “black-out” uniform or something similar, I’d much rather them wear it during a primetime game than on a random Sunday at 1:00. It just looks better in that context to me.

So YOU were the one who enjoyed Color Rush Thursday Night. 

😁

• Applause 1
  • LOL 4

It's where I sit.

7 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

So YOU were the one who enjoyed Color Rush Thursday Night. 

😁

A little bit. 😂 Even for uniforms that weren’t any good (Jaguars, Bucs come to mind), I probably tuned in when I otherwise might not have. In those cases, it was a little bit like not being able to look away from a train wreck.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AnPheitseog said:

that's even MORE of a reason to make it so that you cant wear alts on a national broadcast. As someone that's unable to watch them regularly, you should always be able to see them the way that they should be looking.

THAT SAID

NFL needs to get rid of alts anyways. For a 17(20 including preseason) game season, you just dont have time and space for them

What about throwback alternates? Last year, Tampa wore their creamsicle uniforms one game and I didn't get to see them

8 minutes ago, Haz_Matt said:

What about throwback alternates? Last year, Tampa wore their creamsicle uniforms one game and I didn't get to see them

Same idea. If the throwbacks are so good, make them full time.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 2

5qWs8RS.png

39 minutes ago, Haz_Matt said:

It's not like the highlights aren't all over the place. If you don't see a team's highlights from a given weekend, you're not trying.

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

On 6/10/2024 at 12:26 AM, ruttep said:

Teams should showcase their primary identity to a national audience. It can muddle the team's identity if every time they play a big game in front of the entire country, they're wearing a gimmicky alternate that doesn't reflect how the team normally looks. It's the same reason why all playoff games should feature standard primary uniform matchups.

What if, in 2024 and beyond, the way a team "normally looks," is 3 or 4 uniforms of different designs with some of those looks including different color schemes? 

That seems to be the way we are trending for a number of leagues and/or teams. Perhaps the idea of a "standard primary uniform" un the traditional sense is dying. I am not advocating for or against this, but what is normal seems to be in a state of flux. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 655321 said:

What if, in 2024 and beyond, the way a team "normally looks," is 3 or 4 uniforms of different designs with some of those looks including different color schemes? 

That seems to be the way we are trending for a number of leagues and/or teams. Perhaps the idea of a "standard primary uniform" un the traditional sense is dying. I am not advocating for or against this, but what is normal seems to be in a state of flux. 

this happened in the 70s and 80s in baseball and guess what? traditional looks came back. NHL edge disaster fixed itself back to traditional looks. Things change and go crazy, and then come back to how it should be

• Like 3

5qWs8RS.png

I just find it ludicrous that a team would forego it's primary recognizable look for a nationwide broadcast in order to wear some crap alt that non-fans won't even recognize or like, and which will be gone within 5 years anyway. It dilutes the brand.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, AnPheitseog said:

Same idea. If the throwbacks are so good, make them full time.

I’ve talked about this before on here, but the Bucs’ throwback is a rare scenario where it’s not necessarily better  than the primary set, but it’s a wonderful and refreshing switch-up once a year. The bright and sunny creamsicle orange contrasts wonderfully with the darker, more menacing red & pewter.

The creamsicles wouldn’t really work as the primary set because the away jersey isn’t nearly as appealing as the home orange, whether you do red or orange numbers. I don’t think a red alternate in the creamsicle colors would work all that well, either.

I’m not the biggest fan of throwbacks in general, because I usually agree with your general sentiment, but part of the appeal of throwbacks is not that they are necessarily “better” than the main set, but it’s a kitschy and fun way to channel some nostalgia to an earlier time.

Although I wouldn’t mind if the Seahawks moved to royal & kelly full-time, but they’re another team that comes to mind that could work having the throwback once a year. Although I prefer midnight green for the Eagles, kelly green would be fine once a year too. 

14 hours ago, 655321 said:

I’ve wondered about this, myself. The proliferation of City-style “clash” sets is definitely the trend, at least in the NBA & MLB right now, & might be trickling into the NFL with Houston (& honestly the Vikings’ white-out in a way, too). I’m not sure how much staying power this has, as straying too far from the primary brand seems like a risky proposition to continue delving in.

I was intrigued when the Texans said each of their 4 jerseys would be a different design, but they didn’t really follow through on that as much as I expected, as the white & red jerseys were still essentially color swaps of one another. I’m wondering if other teams in all sports might go more ambitious with a similar approach.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

It's not like the highlights aren't all over the place. If you don't see a team's highlights from a given weekend, you're not trying.

Yes, because watching a game and an abbreviated highlight package that shows 3-5 plays, at best, is the same thing. 🙄

Good thing we all don't have to share the same opinions and reasons to watch games or agree on everything, huh

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Haz_Matt said:

Yes, because watching a game and an abbreviated highlight package that shows 3-5 plays, at best, is the same thing. 🙄

Good thing we all don't have to share the same opinions and reasons to watch games or agree on everything, huh

Ok. I won't offer an opinion different than yours if you only see 3-5 plays. This isn't mid-70's MNF we're talking about.

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

48 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I’ve talked about this before on here, but the Bucs’ throwback is a rare scenario where it’s not necessarily better  than the primary set, but it’s a wonderful and refreshing switch-up once a year. The bright and sunny creamsicle orange contrasts wonderfully with the darker, more menacing red & pewter.

The creamsicles wouldn’t really work as the primary set because the away jersey isn’t nearly as appealing as the home orange, whether you do red or orange numbers. I don’t think a red alternate in the creamsicle colors would work all that well, either.

I’m not the biggest fan of throwbacks in general, because I usually agree with your general sentiment, but part of the appeal of throwbacks is not that they are necessarily “better” than the main set, but it’s a kitschy and fun way to channel some nostalgia to an earlier time.

Although I wouldn’t mind if the Seahawks moved to royal & kelly full-time, but they’re another team that comes to mind that could work having the throwback once a year. Although I prefer midnight green for the Eagles, kelly green would be fine once a year too. 

I’ve wondered about this, myself. The proliferation of City-style “clash” sets is definitely the trend, at least in the NBA & MLB right now, & might be trickling into the NFL with Houston (& honestly the Vikings’ white-out in a way, too). I’m not sure how much staying power this has, as straying too far from the primary brand seems like  a risky proposition to continue delving in.

I was intrigued when the Texans said each of their 4 jerseys would be a different design, but they didn’t really follow through on that as much as I expected, as the white & red jerseys were essentially still color swaps of one another. I’m wondering if other teams in all sports might go more ambitious with a similar approach.

It has exactly none outside of selling more and more and more—did I mention more?—jerseys, which is exactly Nike's (and Fanatics') goal at the end of the day.

That's ultimately all this is about...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

9 minutes ago, tBBP said:

It has exactly none outside of selling more and more and more—did I mention more?—jerseys, which is exactly Nike's (and Fanatics') goal at the end of the day.

That's ultimately all this is about...

I'm a little surprised no team has taken advangtage of those increased sales and made primary sets out of them. The Heat's Vice jerseys and the Jazz' red rocks jerseys especially seemed like perfect opportunities to do so. MLB's City Connect program has been more recent, but the Guardians, Rockies, Astros, Angels, & Rays could all afford to transfer elements into their main set, or just straight-up adopt them as regular alternates and go from there. 

8 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I'm a little surprised no team has taken advangtage of those increased sales and made primary sets out of them. The Heat's Vice jerseys and the Jazz' red rocks jerseys especially seemed like perfect opportunities to do so. MLB's City Connect program has been more recent, but the Guardians, Rockies, Astros, Angels, & Rays could all afford to transfer elements into their main set, or just straight-up adopt them as regular alternates and go from there. 

I know this is the NFL thread, but to your point about MLB's City Connects, a few of them would actually make decent primary sets (I'm thinking of Cleveland right off the bat—minus the giant CLE, of course). But I know it's only a matter of time before City__________ comes to the NFL. Shoot,  few of the last teams to rebrand have already slick-slid City-ish uniforms into their rotation, starting with the whole "Indiana Nights" thing. And now look at how they're naming these uniform sets—NYJ, Detroit, Houston and Denver have all "nicknamed" their individual uniform sets (wait, did we actually have four rebrands this offseason?), and now here comes Minnesota with the nicknamed "Winter Warriors"...and an extra color to boot (silver), minus one of their actual primary colors (yellow).

Again, though, I get why the shield and the swoosh are pushing all this stuff on consumers...but that don't mean I got to like it. (Though I do like a select few of these alternates...)

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

NFL should have a rule: no freakin' alts for national and/or primetime games. Wear that garbage for your own localized 1 PM game.

Throwbacks would be fine, since at least those were worn hundreds of times before they became throwbacks...not so with alts, which as I mentioned above likely turn off casual fans because they don't have the same memory value as throwbacks do, and will be replaced in 5 years anyway.

I don't mind alt jerseys and pants, but this new trend with the alternate helmets and stupid icy white uniforms is a bridge too far...the Texans, Vikings, and Broncos alts are hot garbage.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1
  • Eyeroll 1