The CW "rebrands" to CW

BadSeed84

I think it's difficult for an entire network to tie itself to one color for its brand--you'll notice that CBS, Fox, and ABC do not (though ABC did flirt with yellow for a while in the late '90s/early 2000s), and NBC uses all six. Fortunately for the CW, they're not an entire network. I thought the eye-catching green suited them well as an unconventional, risk-taking, youth-oriented "network," but I don't think orange by itself is as effective. Dropping the "The" makes sense since it was just a weird vestige of "the WB." Here's to this next chapter of the Columbia-Warner, which is not a The, and which I believe is no longer majority-owned by CBS or by Warner.

Incidentally, I'm just starting Season Finale: The Unexpected Rise and Fall of the WB and UPN, albeit in odious e-book form. I'll share my thoughts when I have them.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It looks way better now but I would have preferred an entirely new look.

My local CW station in Sacramento moved to combine with MyNetworkTV in a weird hybrid station, so you get MyNetwork in the day and CW as a primetime block along with CW Sports. The resulting old CW station went back to its callsign and number for the name and it's pretty cool to see a channel like that again.

We also have a complete unique logo for MyNetworkTV.

my58-cw-for-web-revised-64ca8fe724870.pn

• Like 2

bSLCtu2.png

On 1/15/2024 at 3:19 PM, The_Admiral said:

I think it's difficult for an entire network to tie itself to one color for its brand--you'll notice that CBS, Fox, and ABC do not (though ABC did flirt with yellow for a while in the late '90s/early 2000s), and NBC uses all six. Fortunately for the CW, they're not an entire network. I thought the eye-catching green suited them well as an unconventional, risk-taking, youth-oriented "network," but I don't think orange by itself is as effective. Dropping the "The" makes sense since it was just a weird vestige of "the WB." Here's to this next chapter of the Columbia-Warner, which is not a The, and which I believe is no longer majority-owned by CBS or by Warner.

Incidentally, I'm just starting Season Finale: The Unexpected Rise and Fall of the WB and UPN, albeit in odious e-book form. I'll share my thoughts when I have them.

PBS is usually blue. The Fox brand changes color depending on use. For the Fox Network itself, while the wordmark itself is usually white, their website favicon has it inside a light blue square. Fox News and Fox Weather logos have it set in blue, with Fox News also adding red. Fox Sports has the logo in either white or dark blue.

Aside from the NBC logo, the only other network I know that consistently uses a color is ESPN (red).

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The CW should have died off with the series finale of Supernatural and the cancellation of the Arrowverse.

Now they’re getting an odd and peculiar new lease on life due to sports programming from the ACC, Golf, and soon NASCAR.

I actually kind of miss The WB and UPN. Neither of them had good management, but at least they tried. CW and especially MyNetworkTV are a waste of bandwidth.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Incidentally, I'm just starting Season Finale: The Unexpected Rise and Fall of the WB and UPN, albeit in odious e-book form.

"Odious"?! Please. There are quite a few books that I own that I just can't get around to starting, simply because of the hassle of carrying them.  Also, I have bought e-books of books whose paper copies I already have just for the ease and pleasure of reading them on my phone, tablet, and laptop. Give me an e-book 100 times out of 100.  (And I say this as an old guy who grew up with normal printed books.)

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Oh my god you're the kind of person who would heat his home with a Rube Goldbergian treadmill-powered space heater and you won't let me resent trying to read an actual book on my goddamn phone?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Reminds me of Northwest Banks in the Twin Cities changing to Norwest Banks. My first encounter with "all that time and money for...?"

They'd eventually be bought up by Wells Fargo.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)