2024 NASCAR Season

DCarp1231

6 hours ago, mjarvie said:

He wins a lot and people hate that. I also think a lot of hate comes from his and RCR's baby act last year at the November Martinsville race when Sheldon Creed actually raced him instead of laying over and letting him win Martinsville. It made him look like an adopted Childress grandchild who is going to suck at the Cup level and people are tired or Childress children as a whole.

I’m curious to see how they’ll handle his transition to Cup.

8 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’m curious to see how they’ll handle his transition to Cup.

I really don’t think Austin Dillion is long for the cup series. I hope he transitions to a front office role. But at the end of the day it’s going to be his decision when he leaves that seat because granddad sure won’t pull him from it regardless of how much worse he does than his teammates every week.

Edited by dont care
And then he wrecks half the field on the first lap

They ruined Atlanta. I tried to give it a few years but I just can’t take it. It was so much better as a high speed 1.5 mile quad oval. It relied on handling, towards the end the guys that had the best car control when the cars were sliding around would win the race. Now it’s a crash fest, boring drafting where the only real passes are get a run in the straight away and dive to the bottom in the corner and hope you clear before exit. It takes no skill, just luck to avoid getting wrecked (can’t even get on pit road normally) and really all you need to do is just ride around in second all day and wait until the last lap to pass and you win. Restrictor plate races are cool the 4 times they had it on tracks originally designed for it, I wouldn’t have added more to the schedule and I definitely wouldn’t convert another track to the bastardization of one. And they want to make Texas like this, no just put the banking back in turns 1 and 2 and be done with it.

*shrug*

I like love this configuration/package for Atlanta. My only complaint is that I wouldn’t have it right after Daytona. 

It’s been a fun race so far. The kind that I don’t feel like an idiot for watching every lap of. 

edit: what a race!

• Like 1

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, See Red said:

*shrug*

I like this configuration/package for Atlanta. My only complaint is that I wouldn’t have it right after Daytona. 

It’s been a fun race so far. The kind that I don’t feel like an idiot for watching every lap of. 

edit: what a race!

I like this version of Atlanta a whole lot better than the previous version. It's entirely possible that my memory is failing me, but I seem to remember Atlanta races mostly being pretty boring before the reconfiguration. For example, I looked up the 2008 spring race. Kyle Busch was 3 seconds ahead of the rest of the field. It looked more like he was qualifying than it did like he was winning the race at the checkered flag. In 2018, Kevin Harvick won by 4 seconds. The only exciting finish that comes to mind at Atlanta is Harvick and Gordon in 2001. I'm not saying there weren't others, but I can't think of any.

Give me this over watching the best car cruise around like he's in a different race every time.

The new Atlanta is awesome.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

BB52Big.jpg

2000 labonte vs Dale, 2005 Edward’s vs. Johnson, 2011 Gordon vs Johnson, yea some were blow outs but that really can happen at any track that isn’t a super speedway. The finish was cool, but does it make up for half the race being under caution? 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, dont care said:

2000 labonte vs Dale, 2005 Edward’s vs. Johnson, 2011 Gordon vs Johnson, yea some were blow outs but that really can happen at any track that isn’t a super speedway. The finish was cool, but does it make up for half the race being under caution? 

When the racing was good, it was REAL GOOD. Cindric's insane four-wide pass for the lead is something I'll always remember for this race (besides the ending).

I'm split because the racing was great, but now I'm worried that NASCAR will now gimmick the hell out of the intermediate drafting tracks and transform Texas into Atlanta 2.0. The transformation into a drafting track is so gimmicky, but it seems to have somewhat worked.

rAUPGPZ.png

59 minutes ago, dont care said:

Add in 2001 and that's four memorable finishes in the 22 years before the reconfiguration. FWIW, I liked the old Atlanta races too, but I can't blame the track for trying to put on a better show. I agree that there were too many wrecks, but Atlanta is what it is now. It's plate racing and all the stuff that comes with it. We can accept that or we can complain about it, but the current configuration ain't going anywhere.

BB52Big.jpg

I wish they had done this reconfig to Texas instead of Atlanta. At the bare minimum it would be better than what Texas puts on now. But this type of racing is stretched to its absolute limit with 6 races, there's no need for even more.

the user formerly known as cdclt

14 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

The re-pave is complete at Sonoma.

GHX0EpgbkAA5JCo?format=jpg&name=large

Such a beautiful track when it’s not dead and lifeless

spacer.png

It will be dead and lifeless again come June when for what ever reason grass can’t live in Northern California then. 

48 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I don't know why they can't race at Sonoma when it's bright and green.

From what I've heard, it has to do with fan amenities - during the spring the area is marshy and would make tailgating/navigating the track tough. I would love to see Sonoma as part of the West Coast swing, personally.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sky1324 said:

From what I've heard, it has to do with fan amenities - during the spring the area is marshy and would make tailgating/navigating the track tough. I would love to see Sonoma as part of the West Coast swing, personally.

I think also, the fact that this time of the year is also rain season in California as well - and we have seen NASCAR have trouble with rain races before. But I'm in agreement with you, I'd love to see Sonoma earlier in the schedule.

• Like 1

rAUPGPZ.png

8 minutes ago, GrayJ12 said:

I think also, the fact that this time of the year is also rain season in California as well - and we have seen NASCAR have trouble with rain races before. But I'm in agreement with you, I'd love to see Sonoma earlier in the schedule.

Yep, exactly. I live in LA so I can't speak for the Bay Area but it's been raining nearly every weekend here for the past month or so. Much less likely to rain in the summer.

11 hours ago, GrayJ12 said:

It being a road course they could put on rain tires and go out. Unless it’s a torrential down pour they’d be able to do it. Also even with it being the rainy season I could t tell you the last time a race got rained out at auto club

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

We have an answer to the will-they-won’t-they between NBC and retaining Dale Jr as a commentator-

Dale Jr has signed a deal with Amazon & WBD starting in 2025

https://theathletic.com/5307726/2024/02/29/dale-earnhardt-jr-amazon-warner-bros-nbc-sports/

I'm very intrigued to see how Amazon and WBD will present their NASCAR coverage. It's been a while since we have seen a completely new player in the NASCAR TV world. But Junebug is a huge get for them. Legitimizes them.

rAUPGPZ.png