2024 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LIX

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

This tweak along with a regular helmet stripe and it’s a solid alternate uniform.

spacer.png

It’s a shame they decided to go with a quirk that should’ve died with the Seahawks in 2012.

Yup...they could have used those one-time 1969 preseason black helmets (as pictured above) as all the reason they needed to justify a black alt...and then they went and boogered it up with all that extra. *tonykornheiserwhy.gif*

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

I like the royal blue better too - I prefer the 1965-66 uniforms from the neck down, though - but orange and navy still isn't a bad color scheme in its own right. And it's not just about the painful losses in royal blue, it's also all of their Super Bowl wins coming in navy. And as I've pointed out before, the original robohorse uniforms lasted almost as long as the Orange Crush uniforms. There are entire generations of fans now who have only known Denver as an orange/navy team, not orange/royal. From a branding perspective, going back to royal is not the no-brainer that some would like to think it is. Keeping the throwbacks as an alternate look to complement the regular orange/navy uniforms is probably their best bet.

Granted, the Broncos are probably the only team this kind of thing can be said about (three SB appearances in one look, three SB appearances in the other), but stuff like this is one of the reasons why I stand ten toes down on the assertion that just because a team won a championship in a certain look doesn't mean that has to be their permanent look (or in this case, colors). Could y'all imagine if the Buccaneers had won the '79 and/or '82 Super Bowl in those creamsicles--or any others between then and '97...only to then come back and win it again in '02 and a couple years ago with the pewters? Look, I love those old creamsicles as much as any old [in my case used -to-be] devoted fan, but even I concede the pewter and red is a more defining brand. What they do now is perfect: bring back the orange-over-white creamsicles as a once-per-year alternate, but keep the red-and--pewter as their primary brand.

I say all this because I agree, to a point, with this post above. Yes, those Denver throwbacks look absolutely gorgeous, especially in that sun, but that alone doesn't mean they should automatically be repurposed as their primaries. (And I say this as one who...let's just say their current uniforms don't really do it for me.) Having said that, I do think a lighter shade of blue would be swell, since currently not a single NFL teams uses a royal[ish] blue and orange colorway--and that would also move them away from looking like the Bears.

(And just to prove how much of a hypocrite I am about this, yes, Jacksonville should ABSOLUTELY repurpose the '98 throwbacks as their permanent primaries...they never should have 86'd them in the first place. But that's different...they haven't changed their team colors at all, they just go through phases of whether to use or not to use gold.)

37 minutes ago, PurpleHayes said:

Agreed. If they can put a man on the moon, why can't the Saints at least use a decent shade of gold on their uniforms? They need to make their gold helmet and Missing In Action gold pants the same shade as what's on those Color Rash unis.

I mean, I could have sworn NASA put men on the moon but... 😄 Anyway, I still hold that a white alternate shell would absolutely murk with those Saints throwback alternate uniforms. I've thought it for probably ten years to this point, and will probably think it until they actually do it for real.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Helmet aside, the shade of gold on the jerseys and pants looked sickly and gross last night. I don't know if it was just a lighting issue or if they've changed something for the worse. In close-up shots, it was also really noticeable that the jersey/pants gold didn't match the helmet logo's gold at all. It would have looked even worse had they worn the traditional gold helmets.

The Saints need to just scrap everything and start from scratch with their uniforms. Right now they're one of the ugliest looking teams no matter what they wear.

First of all, the gold hasn’t changed on the uniforms. The black helmet logo gold is indeed the lighter shade they use on their normal uniforms/helmets. It doesn’t match the richer shade of gold on the jerseys/pants.

All that to say, the black helmet was not designed to be worn with the Color Rush, but it has to be. It would fit better with the normal black uniforms. 

I don’t necessarily think that the Saints need to start from scratch, because the current color rush design is great. I love the shade of gold, the number font, and the stripes. It looks clean. The issue is that the players refuse to wear proper socks and the black helmet has no business existing, especially with the color rush jerseys/pants. Match the helmet gold, wear proper socks, and simply make a black jersey version of the color rush. Voila, the Saints have their new uniforms.

Its that freaking simple, but complete rocket science to the Saints. It’s sad that they think their uniforms are the best…

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SportsFan12 said:

Why do the Bengals hate the black pants this year? When the home team is wearing white pants and a non-black jersey, black pants should be an easy choice.

Didn't they wear them at Carolina?

Speaking of Carolina, I want them to finish in the same place as Jacksonville. The Jaguars using the throwbacks against the Panthers would just be fitting. Provided that they draw each other and the game takes place in a good spot for it.

37 minutes ago, gothedistance said:

Didn't they wear them at Carolina?

Speaking of Carolina, I want them to finish in the same place as Jacksonville. The Jaguars using the throwbacks against the Panthers would just be fitting. Provided that they draw each other and the game takes place in a good spot for it.

Not with the white jersey.

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

Could y'all imagine if the Buccaneers had won the '79 and/or '82 Super Bowl in those creamsicles--or any others between then and '97...only to then come back and win it again in '02 and a couple years ago with the pewters?

Tough to say. If they had won a Super Bowl in the creamsicles, they may have never switched to the pewter era in the first place. Or maybe they would have at least kept orange as the dominant color over red when they rebranded and it wouldn't have been such a radical change.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

2 hours ago, PurpleHayes said:

That would be great, but I doubt they will give up the all-black Mean Machine unis for those tea-sipping friends across the pond.

They announced their new white-helmet/black jersey combo for a different game this season already (vs the Vikings I believe). I expected they would find time to wear their all-black suits in London like usual but the throwbacks were likely so well received that they decided to wear them twice instead, leaving all-black on the shelf for the first time since 2011.

1 hour ago, kaleb_girod said:

First of all, the gold hasn’t changed on the uniforms. The black helmet logo gold is indeed the lighter shade they use on their normal uniforms/helmets. It doesn’t match the richer shade of gold on the jerseys/pants.

All that to say, the black helmet was not designed to be worn with the Color Rush, but it has to be. It would fit better with the normal black uniforms. 

I don’t necessarily think that the Saints need to start from scratch, because the current color rush design is great. I love the shade of gold, the number font, and the stripes. It looks clean. The issue is that the players refuse to wear proper socks and the black helmet has no business existing, especially with the color rush jerseys/pants. Match the helmet gold, wear proper socks, and simply make a black jersey version of the color rush. Voila, the Saints have their new uniforms.

Its that freaking simple, but complete rocket science to the Saints. It’s sad that they think their uniforms are the best…

The idea that alternate helmets can only be worn with alternate uniforms is bizarre to me. You got teams like the Jags and Broncos introducing new white helmets but they are forced to pair them with a dark alternate instead of their standard white jersey, which would make more sense. But the Panthers have paired their black helmet with their standard black jersey, which doesn't make sense. The Eagles also went black helmets over standard white this year, but that seemed like a special circumstance.

1 hour ago, kaleb_girod said:

I don’t necessarily think that the Saints need to start from scratch, because the current color rush design is great. I love the shade of gold, the number font, and the stripes. It looks clean.

I love the Saints wearing gold numbers on their white jerseys, so I think that part of the throwbacks is a good starting point, but I've never been a fan of those double-decker sleeve stripes on modern jersey cuts, and there's already three other teams wearing a variation of them anyway. I also think they need to be wearing gold pants pretty much exclusively with the white jerseys. My boldest take is that a gold jersey with white numbers would look sharp as a primary home look for them. I know Vandy and UCF have tried this in the past with mixed results, but with the thicker number outlines like the Saints have on their throwbacks, it could look really nice. All this hinges on them picking one shade of gold and making sure it stays as consistent as possible, of course.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

4 minutes ago, Colin56 said:

The idea that alternate helmets can only be worn with alternate uniforms is bizarre to me. You got teams like the Jags and Broncos introducing new white helmets but they are forced to pair them with a dark alternate instead of their standard white jersey, which would make more sense. But the Panthers have paired their black helmet with their standard black jersey, which doesn't make sense. The Eagles also went black helmets over standard white this year, but that seemed like a special circumstance.

That's true about the Panthers, who according to the GUD are wearing their black alt helmets with the BLUE alt jerseys this Sunday.

We're on a slippery slope towards every team looking like Oregon on game day.

29 minutes ago, Colin56 said:

They announced their new white-helmet/black jersey combo for a different game this season already (vs the Vikings I believe). I expected they would find time to wear their all-black suits in London like usual but the throwbacks were likely so well received that they decided to wear them twice instead, leaving all-black on the shelf for the first time since 2011.

I don't think there was any doubt that these would be well-received. I'm sure this was the plan all along, especially with the London game already sandwiched between their other alternate jersey games. 

28 minutes ago, Colin56 said:

You got teams like the Jags and Broncos introducing new white helmets but they are forced to pair them with a dark alternate instead of their standard white jersey, which would make more sense. 

It would make more sense to not introduce a helmet that you can't wear with the jersey you want. The rules are in place, these teams choose to introduce white helmets anyway, and then everyone proceeds to complain about the rules that they chose to disregard.

39 minutes ago, SportsFan12 said:

Not with the white jersey.

They always wear all white at KC. Probably because of the year they went to the SB beating the Chiefs in them. NYG is on a turf field. Visiting teams usually like to use all white on such playing surface.

The Chargers game is the only good game for the white jersey and black pants combo to be used. The rest of their road games are games I'd rather not see them used.

59 minutes ago, Colin56 said:

I still think alternate helmets should be able to be worn with any combo. BUT, any use of an alternate jersey OR helmet counts towards your 3 alternate games. So choose wisely

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

4 hours ago, PurpleHayes said:

Agreed. If they can put a man on the moon, why can't the Saints at least use a decent shade of gold on their uniforms?

John Swartzwelder Quote: “They can kill the Kennedys. Why can't they make a  cup of

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 minutes ago, damnyoutuesday said:

I still think alternate helmets should be able to be worn with any combo. BUT, any use of an alternate jersey OR helmet counts towards your 3 alternate games. So choose wisely

This is the best solution. Then you don’t end up with ugly combos like the Saints black helmets with Color Rush or the Broncos white helmets with navy jerseys and pants.

19 minutes ago, JonDowd said:

There shouldn’t be any alternate helmets except for throwback uniforms

And most of the time those throwback uniforms should be the full time set

I’ll take “Topics that have been beaten to death on the CCSLC Forums” for $1000

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Dislike 1