On 8/16/2024 at 10:04 AM, coco1997 said:

Thanks! The Nats' road alt is my favorite of that set. 

WHITE SOX (2003 ASG)

HOME:

White-Sox-Home-2003-w-batterman.png

ROAD:

White-Sox-Road-2003-w-batterman.png

Notes:

- The arched, Tuscan style wordmarks from the 2003 All-Star Game BP jerseys were presumably inspired by the 1976-81 White Sox. For this set, I rolled in elements of those uniforms (Tuscan style numbers and road wordmark) along with the South Siders’ 1982-86 (pant numbers, tri-colored caps) and 1990-present (black & silver) looks, while using their 1936-38 primary logo.
- Just as the 1976-81 teams did, I figure the Sox could mix and match jerseys and caps to produce different uniform combinations for home and away games.

- Fun fact: 2003’s All-Star Game BP jerseys would have been the first to be worn for the game itself before the league nixed the idea at the last minute. 
- It was a bit of a challenge juggling both silver and red as secondary colors, but I think it turned out well. Big thanks to @Carolingian Steamroller for the consult on this design!

C&C appreciated, and have a great weekend!

White undershirts with all dark uniforms and white hose make a ton of sense for the Sox and were the choice for the 1976-1981 road uniforms.

91lT6VRRdsL._UF1000,1000_QL80_DpWeblab_.

However, complaints from opposing hitters that the ball became difficult to spot led to white undersleeves being outlawed. To the point where when the Cubs wore them for a Leland Giants throwback night, the umpire made the Cubs break out the scissors to remove them from Eddie Butler's arms.

guf0veqaavkix8urhzzh.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

White undershirts with all dark uniforms and white hose make a ton of sense for the Sox and were the choice for the 1976-1981 road uniforms.

91lT6VRRdsL._UF1000,1000_QL80_DpWeblab_.

However, complaints from opposing hitters that the ball became difficult to spot led to white undersleeves being outlawed. To the point where when the Cubs wore them for a Leland Giants throwback night, the umpire made the Cubs break out the scissors to remove them from Eddie Butler's arms.

guf0veqaavkix8urhzzh.jpg

Yeah, I originally had black sleeves for the Sox road before making them white. I'm familiar with the rule about pitchers not being allowed to have white sleeves, but I figure if eight of the nine guys on the field are wearing them, that's good enough. 

MINNESOTA TWINS (2014 ASG)

HOME:

Twins-Home-2014-w-higher-underline.png

ROAD:

Twins-Road-2014-rounded-numbers.png

HOME ALT:

Twins-Home-Alt-2014-w-back-panel.png

ROAD ALT:

Twins-Road-Alt-2014.png

Notes:

- The logo and jerseys for the 2014 All-Star Game in Minneapolis added sand to the Twins’ navy and red and featured new wordmarks with shadows.

- Red becomes co-dominant with navy, with sand used as a secondary color. The sand, in my opinion, complements the Twins’ colors much better than the Kasota gold the team used from 2015-2022. The uniforms also use very different shades of red and navy than the Twins actually use. 

- The alternates feature contrasting back panels, which feels like an idea Nike would totally be into.

- I worked up new numbers to match the wordmarks, with the inspiration for the the shadows + outlines on the home and road numbers coming from the 1956-58 Washington Senators.

- The tri-colored home and road caps are based on the 2014 game’s caps, which themselves were based on the Twins’ 1970s batting helmets.

C&C appreciated! I have just a few teams left before I wrap up the series. 

• Like 9

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Teams in the Style of All-Star Game Jerseys (Twins 2014 ASG 8/21)
On 8/21/2024 at 10:42 AM, coco1997 said:

Yeah, I originally had black sleeves for the Sox road before making them white. I'm familiar with the rule about pitchers not being allowed to have white sleeves, but I figure if eight of the nine guys on the field are wearing them, that's good enough. 

MINNESOTA TWINS (2014 ASG)

HOME:

Twins-Home-2014-w-higher-underline.png

ROAD:

Twins-Road-2014-rounded-numbers.png

HOME ALT:

Twins-Home-Alt-2014-w-back-panel.png

ROAD ALT:

Twins-Road-Alt-2014.png

Notes:

- The logo and jerseys for the 2014 All-Star Game in Minneapolis added sand to the Twins’ navy and red and featured new wordmarks with shadows.

- Red becomes co-dominant with navy, with sand used as a secondary color. The sand, in my opinion, complements the Twins’ colors much better than the Kasota gold the team used from 2015-2022. The uniforms also use very different shades of red and navy than the Twins actually use. 

- The alternates feature contrasting back panels, which feels like an idea Nike would totally be into.

- I worked up new numbers to match the wordmarks, with the inspiration for the the shadows + outlines on the home and road numbers coming from the 1956-58 Washington Senators.

- The tri-colored home and road caps are based on the 2014 game’s caps, which themselves were based on the Twins’ 1970s batting helmets.

C&C appreciated! I have just a few teams left before I wrap up the series. 

Absolutely adore these designs. The red and sand for the home alt slap so hard! Impressive as always! 

• Love 1

On 8/19/2024 at 11:54 AM, GrayJ12 said:

The skyline behind the wordmark plays into the metro theme of the nickname, something I wish the Mets did more in their uniform designs. Great stuff!

15 hours ago, cubbeblue88 said:

Absolutely adore these designs. The red and sand for the home alt slap so hard! Impressive as always! 

Thank you both!

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS (2007 ASG)

HOME:

Giants-Home-2007-w-button-collar-pullove

ROAD:

Giants-Road-2007-w-button-collar-pullove

HOME ALT:

Giants-Home-Alt-2007-w-button-collar.png

ROAD ALT:

Giants-Road-Alt-2007-w-button-collar-pul

Notes:

- 2007's All-Star Game in San Francisco featured BP jerseys in the Giants' classic black and orange with the Golden Gate Bridge incorporated into the wordmarks. I faced a predicament when trying to recreate the wordmarks: While the  letter "I" is more or less in the center of both "National" and "American", it's closer to the left of the word "Giants." For that reason, I had to drop the ropes from the wordmarks, but I kept the bridge tower standing in for the letter "I." 

- The home cap & sleeve patch comes from the BP jerseys' sleeve patch and jock tag and depicts a ball landing in the waters of McCovey Cove.

- Interestingly enough, the 2007 ASG jerseys used the Cubs' style numbers, which I maintained here. The set also uses the softer shade of orange from the game's logo

- Like my Mets set, all four jerseys are converted to button collar pullovers. 

- I thought about trying out a different version of the "SF" logo but wasn't sure what to do, so suggestions are certainly welcome. 

As always, C&C appreciated!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Teams in the Style of All-Star Game Jerseys (Giants 2007 ASG 8/27)
23 minutes ago, cubbeblue88 said:

The golden gate I in the wordmark is so dope! Excellent as always! 

Thank you!

As suggested by @TrueYankee26, next up are the..

NEW YORK YANKEES (2008 ASG)

HOME:

Yankees-2008-Home-w-red-button-up.png

ROAD:

Yankees-2008-Road-different-piping.png

HOME/ROAD ALT:

Yankees-2008-Alt-w-white-belt.png

Notes:

- The BP jerseys for the 2008 All-Star Game at old Yankee Stadium— the final such game played at that stadium—featured arched wordmarks crowned with the iconic facades from that ballpark. I kept that design for the road and alt and worked up some new numbers to match the wordmarks.

- Given its heavy use in the ’08 game’s branding, I wanted to incorporate a bit more red into my design. I figure I could justify keeping the stars on the cap as a nod to Uncle Sam’s top hat from the Yankees’ primary logo.

- I don’t totally love the white wordmark and numbers for the road jerseys, but they work well enough and would be unique to the Bombers.

- It might be overkill to use two completely different “Yankees” wordmarks, but I couldn’t resist.

C&C appreciated! One more team before I wrap up the series. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Teams in the Style of All-Star Game Jerseys (Yankees 2008 ASG 8/30)
On 8/31/2024 at 8:49 PM, Paul Lucas said:

Love it!!! Great job!

6 hours ago, Coiler said:

Very hard to change a Yankees uniform successfully, but you managed.

Thank you both!

Wrapping things up today!

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS (2009 ASG)

HOME:

Cardinals-2009-Home.png

ROAD:

Cardinals-2009-Road.png

HOME ALT:

Cardinals-2009-Home-Alt-w-light-blue.png

ROAD ALT:

Cardinals-2009-Road-Alt.png

Notes:

- The BP jerseys for the 2009 All-Star Game in St. Louis added the city’s iconic Arch to wordmarks in the Cardinals’ classic style. This was something I fully expected the Cards to do for their City Connect unis, so I was surprised when they didn’t.  

- St. Louis’ standard block numbers are replaced with Copperplate-style ones, similar to those found around Busch Stadium and on the All-Star Game logo.

- To avoid overcrowding the front of the jersey, the TV numbers get moved to the sleeves. The Cards previously wore sleeve numbers from 1979-80.

- Sky blue is used as a trim color but only on the home jerseys, just like on the ’09 BP jerseys.

- Both alternates feature trim and collar piping not present on the primary jerseys. 

And that's a wrap! Before I go, I wanted to note the teams I decided to exclude from this series with an explanation of why:

1997 ASG in Cleveland - This was the year players began wearing special jerseys for the Home Run Derby/All-Star Game BP, and while these Indians-inspired designs were nice enough, they weren't particularly interesting.

2000 ASG in Atlanta - Prior to 2021, these were probably the ugliest ASG jerseys and essentially inferior versions of 1999's TATC-inspired designs

2002 ASG in Milwaukee - These jerseys in the Brewers' exact 2000-19 style predicted the Crew would add a gold alternate to their rotation about a decade later. 

2010 ASG in Anaheim - 2010's jerseys mimicked the Angels' current look only with silver wordmarks, which didn't seem interesting enough of a difference to justify a whole set of designs. 

2011 ASG in Arizona - Similar to the Angels in 2011, this year's designs copied what the D-Backs were wearing at the time, with no deviation other than a subtle snakeskin pattern added to the wordmarks. 

2016 ASG in San Diego - 2016's jerseys were fantastic but essentially 1980-84 Padres throwbacks.

2017 ASG in Miami - The only new idea this year's design introduced was a blue alternate for the 2012-18 Marlins, which is something I previously mocked up in another series. 

C&C appreciated as always, and thanks for following along!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Teams in the Style of All-Star Game Jerseys (Cardinals 2009 ASG 9/2)