With the 2024 Paris Olympics having been just concluded, It's interesting to go back and revisit the bidding process for the 2024 Olympic Games as multiple U.S. cities submitted bids but were ultimately not selected these include Los Angeles (Who is hosting the 2028 Olympic games), Boston, Washington D.C., San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose (Bay Area), Tulsa, New York City, Philadelphia, San Diego, and Dallas.

Which is the focus of this concept as the bids for the 2036 & 2040 Summer Olympics & Paralympics are currently open season and I decided to craft my own "mock bid" for a Dallas-hosted Summer Olympics in 2040.

LOGO REVEAL

Olympic logo courtesy of DexterGraphicx

Main-Logo-Upscaled.png

The Olympic logo has the Lone Star state front and center with a red star in the middle and the state of Texas fragmented into the Olympics color scheme, Dallas would be hosting the Games of the XXXVII Summer Olympiad and for the Paralympics; the 21st edition.

OLYMPIC STADIUM & OLYMPIC PARK

Olympic-Stadium-Olympic-Park.png

Unlike most cities trying to fill out an Olympic bid, Dallas wouldn't need to build a brand new Olympic Stadium to host the opening and closing ceremonies, as the historic Cotton Bowl Stadium would be hosting the opening and closing ceremonies and the many events in the Athletics category. Fair Park would be used as the Olympic Park and the nearby Fair Park neighborhood would be utilized as the Olympic Village for athletes. 

DOWNTOWN DALLAS SPORTS PARK

Downtown-Dallas-Sports-Park.png

Let's get onto our first "sports park" of the presentation which has a plethora of venues located in Dallas proper, Downtown Dallas would be hosting badminton, basketball, fencing, taekwondo, table tennis, judo, wrestling, marathon, archery, cycling, golf, sport climbing, and shooting. 

ARLINGTON SPORTS PARK

Arlington-Sports-Park.png

Arlington would get to host the main semifinal and final for football (soccer), as well as the baseball and softball tournaments, field hockey, and equestrian. 

SMU SPORTS PARK

SMU-Sports-Park.png

Here we have the SMU Sports Park which features events hosted on SMU's campus such as 3x3 basketball, tennis, swimming, diving, and lacrosse.

SUBURBAN DALLAS SPORTS PARK

Suburban-Dallas-Sports-Park.png

Several notable Dallas suburbs and exurbs such as Denton, Frisco, and Commerce would be hosting gymnastics, handball, rowing, canoeing, skateboarding, flag football, rugby, and modern pentathlon. 

FORT WORTH SPORTS PARK

Fort-Worth-Sports-Park.png

Fort Worth, TX would host events such as weightlifting, water polo, artistic swimming, indoor volleyball, and boxing. 

CORPUS CHRISTI (OUTSOURCED EVENTS)

Corpus-Christi-Outsourced-Events.png

For the beach volleyball, sailing, surfing, open water swimming, and triathlon events those would be outsourced to North Beach and Mustang Beach in Corpus Christi, TX.

OTHER FOOTBALL STADIUMS

Other-Football-Stadiums.png

The rest of the football (soccer) tournament would be outsourced to other cities with American football stadiums these include Norman, OK, Tulsa, OK, Kansas City, KS, Fayetteville, AR, and Lawrence, KS. The New Chiefs Stadium would be hosting the women's semifinals and men's bronze medal game, while Razorback Stadium would host the men's semifinals and women's bronze medal game. 

BONUS LOGOS

Bonus-Logos.png

And here's a couple of bonus logos I put together, these include a version of the logo for the Paralympics, some wordmark designs, and the logo for NBC's coverage of the 2040 Dallas Olympics. 

• Like 3

gT1BtSs.png

1 minute ago, raz said:

Only problem I have with the logo is the star is more Austin than Dallas in location. 

Yeah but if the star was closer to Dallas, It would've messed up the fracture. 

gT1BtSs.png

12 hours ago, raz said:

Gotcha. Also not sure about going up to Kansas for stadiums. Why not the aforementioned Austin? College Station? Waco? 

I want  this to be a semi-collaborative bid with other Great Plains cities

gT1BtSs.png

13 hours ago, raz said:

Gotcha. Also not sure about going up to Kansas for stadiums. Why not the aforementioned Austin? College Station? Waco? 

Q2 (Austin) is perfect for soccer, BBVA could fill that role too. Paris games used 7 stadiums, so I would expect that to be the minimum for a Dallas Olympics. I also don't see Toyota Stadium getting used for anything other than soccer when FC Dallas is the main tenant there. The Star in Frisco actually works better for flag football. The 8-man football championships are played there for Texas high schools. I also think it might be too small for gymnastics. Frisco, Sugar Land, UT-Austin and the Rangers and Astros ballparks would also be useful for baseball, which would have to be a sport when the Games are in the USA. SMU, UT-Austin, Norman, OK and Oklahoma City would also be able to host softball games. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Q2 (Austin) is perfect for soccer, BBVA could fill that role too. Paris games used 7 stadiums, so I would expect that to be the minimum for a Dallas Olympics. I also don't see Toyota Stadium getting used for anything other than soccer when FC Dallas is the main tenant there. The Star in Frisco actually works better for flag football. The 8-man football championships are played there for Texas high schools. I also think it might be too small for gymnastics. Frisco, Sugar Land, UT-Austin and the Rangers and Astros ballparks would also be useful for baseball, which would have to be a sport when the Games are in the USA. SMU, UT-Austin, Norman, OK and Oklahoma City would also be able to host softball games. 

Those aren't bad options, but I don't know if other sports like baseball & softball would need to be outsourced to other locations. 

• Like 1

gT1BtSs.png

30 minutes ago, maxwasson said:

Those aren't bad options, but I don't know if other sports like baseball & softball would need to be outsourced to other locations. 

Due to numbers of teams, it's possible. At least 4 stadiums if you have a 12 to 16 team tournament. Fortunately you can play every day unlike soccer.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Due to numbers of teams, it's possible. At least 4 stadiums if you have a 12 to 16 team tournament. Fortunately you can play every day unlike soccer.

They might have a big tournament like that, but time will tell. If they expand baseball to have multiple facilities, I would nominate Minute Maid Park, New Royals Stadium, and Charles Schwab Field as options. 

gT1BtSs.png

clearly a lot of thought went into this, but I would point out one thing - Olympics are a global, country based event. it doesn't make much sense to use the texas silhouette as a logo.

Also I will say, there is a lot more overlap in stadium usage for events that only last a few days early and a few days late. I think a few arenas and stadiums could be trimmed down if youre wanting to be more realistic.

love the creativity though!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, raysox said:

clearly a lot of thought went into this, but I would point out one thing - Olympics are a global, country based event. it doesn't make much sense to use the texas silhouette as a logo.

Also I will say, there is a lot more overlap in stadium usage for events that only last a few days early and a few days late. I think a few arenas and stadiums could be trimmed down if youre wanting to be more realistic.

love the creativity though!

I went with a "Texas" design to signify it being the first Olympics in Texas. 

gT1BtSs.png

23 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

UT-Austin only seats around 3,500 at most. That was the issue with all the California stadiums for 2028. Here is where OKC mildly makes sense. IF MLB shut down for an Olympic break, then Round Rock or some of the other minor-league fields nearby could be used for SB also. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, walkerws said:

UT-Austin only seats around 3,500 at most. That was the issue with all the California stadiums for 2028. Here is where OKC mildly makes sense. IF MLB shut down for an Olympic break, then Round Rock or some of the other minor-league fields nearby could be used for SB also. 

MLB would just have the Texas MLB teams go on a 3-week trip. The Texas League already has teams doing 4-5 game series, so they would just bump up home dates for the AAA clubs at the front of the season, since I think a Dallas Olympics would be at the end of August or the front end of July to avoid the worst parts of summer here. 

5 hours ago, raysox said:

clearly a lot of thought went into this, but I would point out one thing - Olympics are a global, country based event. it doesn't make much sense to use the Texas silhouette as a logo.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-S89RE3CJUCmFpfgQeCX

I think this was just the host committee logo, but I think something like this would be what they sign off on. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMK309bUQg9F8RyadgdQd

An update on this would work too. 

y6tqyayb58x41.png

(Not mine, someone posted it to Reddit)

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Cotton Bowl would need to install a track and a massive renovation I would think? Basically a whole new stadium? I would take inspiration from the Berlin Olympic Stadiums renovation. 

The area would also basically need to build out an entire rail network at a China like pace to be ready to host. 

8 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

MLB would just have the Texas MLB teams go on a 3-week trip. The Texas League already has teams doing 4-5 game series, so they would just bump up home dates for the AAA clubs at the front of the season, since I think a Dallas Olympics would be at the end of August or the front end of July to avoid the worst parts of summer here. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-S89RE3CJUCmFpfgQeCX

I think this was just the host committee logo, but I think something like this would be what they sign off on. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMK309bUQg9F8RyadgdQd

An update on this would work too. 

y6tqyayb58x41.png

(Not mine, someone posted it to Reddit)

I actually really like this logo, If I can find the font used for it, I can change the font from a "20" to a "40".

gT1BtSs.png

On 8/15/2024 at 1:07 PM, WestCoastBias said:

Cotton Bowl would need to install a track and a massive renovation I would think? Basically a whole new stadium? I would take inspiration from the Berlin Olympic Stadiums renovation. 

The area would also basically need to build out an entire rail network at a China like pace to be ready to host. 

If Dallas really committed to it, they could achieve all of that by 2040 and I do remember that the Cotton Bowl is getting a significant renovation in the coming years. 

gT1BtSs.png

23 hours ago, Luigi74 said:

Swimming should be in a stadium like it's going to be in 2028, so either Jerry World or the Rangers stadium. 

I did actually once consider outsourcing Swimming to the Paycom Center in Oklahoma City, during the brainstorming of this. 

gT1BtSs.png