College Football by MJD7

MJD7

On 9/1/2024 at 9:12 PM, MJD7 said:

Thanks! I mentioned this on Twitter as well, but I’ve just never really been much of a fan of the “old-school” logo, although I do understand its appeal. I just think the “T-wave” is more cohesive with the rest of their identity.

If Tulane had some sort of throwback design, I definitely wouldn’t be opposed to the old-school logo being used in that capacity.

Concept is really solid but I find this take utterly certifiable. Riptide 4 LYFE!

Great series so far.

• Like 2

Been meaning to give my thoughts on these for a while now, and here we go

On 8/24/2024 at 1:18 PM, MJD7 said:

Cincinnati Bearcats

I like their recent simplification due to their switch over to Nike, so no major changes beyond adding a pants stripe and going with red accents on the white jersey.

7yNhPM7.png XrTeWPB.png IvfF629.png

I do love the simplicity Cincy has been going with. No reason to mess with it. 

On 8/25/2024 at 12:43 PM, MJD7 said:

East Carolina Pirates

@Lights Out had the genius idea of giving ECU a repeating stripes pattern, reminiscent of pirate clothing, so I decided to implement that here. 

I don't think chrome helmets work in every color, but purple is one of them.

67ZIe8H.png vHoxDCA.png laqqq8Y.png fE9YbON.png

The stripes do feel very pirate-y and it works for them. ECU also does have a really nice pirate pattern that football seems to ignore for the most part. Might be something that could be worked in conjunction to the stripes but all in all, a great, unique look for the Pirates

On 8/26/2024 at 8:09 PM, MJD7 said:

Houston Cougars

In a last-minute change (which is why this is a bit late), I added Luv Ya Blue accents to differ from the countless other red & white teams you'll see in this series, & a striping pattern inspired by Houston's past uniforms, & a black-out alternate to boot. 

3Dm2Z9W.png 0p20tyd.png R6fxbrB.png snaRYgZ.png

I love the inclusion of the light blue on all the uniforms! even on the BFBS alt 😂

On 8/27/2024 at 1:47 PM, MJD7 said:

Memphis Tigers

I went with a tiger pattern much like their actual uniforms, but like @colinturner95, I reserved it to a stripe for the helmets, so as to not be so directly similar to the Bengals. The striping notably remains the same across all backgrounds.

p9v5z4u.png Pjmx9hs.png czDvyxN.png

Yes! Memphis needs to simplify and I think you nailed it

On 8/28/2024 at 6:22 PM, MJD7 said:

Navy Midshipmen

Pretty simple set for the Navy, like @Lights Out, I just went with the uniform they wore for their 2012 game against Army, and added a matching navy version.

I'd still have them wear a special uniform every year vs. Army, but I didn't feel the need to mock every one of those up.

b7pghYD.png WaMC5aw.png

No notes. one of my favorite helmets in recent CFB history and I love seeing it again

On 8/29/2024 at 4:33 PM, MJD7 said:

SMU Mustangs

I based the main set off of their sharp "Dallas" uniforms, and created a custom number font to match their current wordmark.

BOzzdgl.png P1EHTyM.png NEmKJFT.png

I understand the why of the number font, I just don't feel like it works. It might be the serifs on the 9. they feel a little bit too much if that makes sense. 

On 8/30/2024 at 12:31 PM, MJD7 said:

Temple Owls

I went with a repeating stripe pattern (which I'm just now realizing is pretty similar to my ECU concept), which they've worn throuhgout their history.

(Fun fact, I was an intern with Temple football's graphic design team a few summers ago).

cQxOpYO.png dqXJWhr.png 3eU9JAQ.png

I would say try and work in the diamonds, but you addressed that already. Still, not a bad look for Temple. 

On 9/1/2024 at 3:51 PM, MJD7 said:

Tulane Green Wave

One of my favorite color schemes in all of college football (probably #2), I just added a custom number font inspired by their wordmarks.

1WcHhbf.png vflgRnn.png jx2r6Zf.png

Love it! 

On 9/2/2024 at 2:01 PM, MJD7 said:

Tulsa Golden Hurricane

I trieed to incorporate red more as an accent, and added a red alternate inspired by their throwbacks.  I also extended their helmet stripe pattern to the jersey and pants.

JhNszhT.png ziK0DIm.png qsv20M2.png

The red alternate looks really good. I might have thrown a red facemask on the helmet to fit it in a little more but that's personal preference

On 9/4/2024 at 7:18 PM, MJD7 said:

UCF Knights

Based on their early 2010's, Blake Bortles look, I feel like UCF would be a good candidate for the "Triple Mismatch Club." These obviously wouldn't be the only combos, though, they'd mix-&-match plenty. The pants and helmet feature a sword stripe, and the sleeve feature the relatively new knight logo.

mjmARQ8.png 6lrXGLU.png J2wlIFO.png

Beautiful! 

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

UCONN Huskies

Like @colinturner95 & @Lights Out both did, I went with a design inspired by their basketball uniforms. I'm not entirely sure if the underarm design works quite as well for football, but I figured it'd be worth a try.

djGL8Ps.png x0bpva5.png IPGYO7m.png

I think the underarms would be a hard sell, but for a concept set, you made it work well IMO. 

Keep up the good work, can't wait for the rest!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

6 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

The stripes do feel very pirate-y and it works for them. ECU also does have a really nice pirate pattern that football seems to ignore for the most part. Might be something that could be worked in conjunction to the stripes but all in all, a great, unique look for the Pirates

I thought about using the pirate pattern (like you did), but I've always found it to be a bit busy for my tastes (although I suppose what I went with is pretty busy, too). Here's my attempt, and you honestly might have convinced me:

cYtQddl.png zPqmitK.png 6NlFJAz.png

Alternatively, while we're back on ECU, I think the throwback look they've been embracing lately could work full-time, as well:

tQcEoQz.png bZCiQu9.png HC1W4GJ.png

I'd be happy with any of the three versions, to be honest.

I understand the why of the number font, I just don't feel like it works. It might be the serifs on the 9. they feel a little bit too much if that makes sense. 

Yeah, I get that, and I honestly agree to an extent. I think a graphic designer more skilled than me could probably make a font that matches the wordmark look a little better.

The red alternate looks really good. I might have thrown a red facemask on the helmet to fit it in a little more but that's personal preference

I hadn't thought of that, but it's not a bad look:

iNC8E4I.png

I think I prefer the blue facemask myself, but in action I'm sure it'd look good.

I think the underarms would be a hard sell, but for a concept set, you made it work well IMO. 

I think as long as the stripes are big & visible enough it could work, it'd be at least better than the Titans half-arsed underarm insert. Still, I admit this racing stripes style might be better:

MB0SMGD.png

I really appreciate the feedback, as always!

• Like 4

Boston College Eagles

I'm not big on their throwback-inspired set, it's a bit bland for my tastes. So instead, I put their modern logo on the sleeves, added back the custom font, and added back stripes on the pants.

r1CZ096.png nEa59Iy.png OhGVnQJ.png OeyYX9x.png

• Like 4

Clemson Tigers

I kept their solid look pretty much intact: I just added their custom font and integrated the slightest  bit more purple throughout, mostly by including it more on the white elements.

3SO7jeT.png TXwSANQ.png AALKlMX.png

• Like 8
  • Love 1

On 9/14/2024 at 10:07 PM, Nickishim2838 said:

I'd like to see what A Turquoise Alternate and White Helmet would look like on that FSU set, Real Soild work 👍

I'm happy to oblige:

tyT4cVo.png 3j1rhJf.png

I don't think I'd want to see the turquoise in the regular season (although it does work wonderfully as a no-contact jersey in practice). Same goes for the white-out, unless they maybe reserve it for when they visit Boston College (since their color schemes are so similar). 

If anyone else wants to see alternate combos for any team we've seen so far, please let me know!

On 9/14/2024 at 10:25 PM, lahaye7 said:

all these are great! Ever do a UCF Citronaught rebrand concept?  Watching them in their inspiring😴 icy whites vs TCU 

I have always wanted to work up a concept for that, as I definitely prefer it to "Knights." I haven't gotten around to it yet, though. I'll see if I can find the time for that sometime soon!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MDTrey4 said:

That Miami set is **chef’s kiss**. Can’t wait to see what you cook up for Pitt

Thanks! Pitt's uniforms have been great since they switched back to royal blue & athletic gold, so I didn't change much, although I did add the slightest bit of flair. Stay tuned!