NFL in LA concept

puckcool22

The Coliseum is actually in a really crappy area (USC must have one hell of a security force),

yes we do... and the area is actually getting better. Parking is a huge obstacle though, apparently for our last game vs. cal, people were charing up to $60 near the stadium... and those lots were filled almost an hour before the game.

what about spartans? good name from greek history right there, and all but absent in pro sports, although vastly overused in college/high school, kinda like warriors.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1) I don't really like the name "Gods" for a team, not very realistic.

How about Idols or Olympians?

2) Someone suggested Spartans (Famous for being tough, but not for winning)

and a lot of teams are Trojans (Again, nice war, but you lost) but no one ever

names their team after the winners of the Trojan wars, the Akkaians (check

spelling). Not that most people would recognize the reference, since we often

just refer to them as "Greeks", but doesn't it seem odd that the winning side's

name doesn't survive as well as the losers?

3) ACLU vs. LA situation: Ok, it seems ridiculous to change the logo because it

did represent the history of the region pretty well. The city was founded as a

mission, named for angels, it seems pretty harmless. That said, I think it is

far too easy for Christians to view their religion as "the norm" in the US and

so they don't see that Christian images appear in many many odd places.

Would everyone be as comfortable if their city logo had a Star of David or if

their currency said "Praise Allah" on it? One of the guiding principles of the

country is that we should not treat any one faith as "official" or give preference

to any belief (look at the countries that do and how messed up they get when

politics and religion are so closely linked--Israel, Iran, Ireland, etc.)

I don't think that LA should change its logo, it has historical significance, but

I also don't think that schools should teach creationism (unless they are willing

to teach all creation stories--including Aztec, Shinto, Hindu, etc.) and I don't

want the 10 commandments in a courthouse unless the 7 guiding principles

of Buddhism or the core beliefs of Zoroastrianism posted as well.

The US is a country with a large Christian population, but it is not, nor should it

be a "Christian country", that is a dangerous path, and one that fails to

recognize the contributions of millions of non-Christian Americans, and the

desires of the founding fathers. (None of the first 6 presidents of the US would

be considered Christians by today's standards, and some openly denounced

the Bible as a human folly to comprehend an incomprehensible truth.)

Sorry for the rant, I do not mean to offend or upset anyone, but when you are not Christian sometimes the American = Christian concept gets under my nerves.

I like the Uni idea, though having an orange arm/hand on an orange helmet doesn't seem to work (could you see it from the stands?). I might go for a white helmet or a silver helmet and white lighting bolt. Look at Oakland in the USFL, they did this concept pretty well.

Besides, the ACLU wouldn't let the name pass, especially since they just pressured LA County into changing its seal, removing an image of an angel and a cross in favor of a Native American woman and Mission San Gabriel (without crosses).

I would have thought the ACLU would love to take the name God and make it mean something other than God.

No, lately the just sick the hounds on anything that can even be taken to be religions. They just recently made Redlands (a city about 50 miles inland in the mountains) remove a cross from the police department's patch.

lmupepbander, I think you misunderstand. Contrary to some opinions, the ACLU does not want to put an end to religion. They are concerned w/ maintaining the separation of church and state. I don't think they'd give a rat's patootie if a private group wants to name it's team "Gods" or "Angels" or whatever. Now, if the State of California built the team a stadium that incorporated a bunch of Christian symbolism, that'd be over the line.

I've got more to say on the issue, but it starts to get political. So perhaps we should move it to a new thread in the Lounge.

I like the Uni idea, though having an orange arm/hand on an orange helmet doesn't seem to work (could you see it from the stands?). I might go for a white helmet or a silver helmet and white lighting bolt. Look at Oakland in the USFL, they did this concept pretty well.

Good idea, now changed.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

if the colts move, i dont think anyone has the balls to change the name, or well, there might another art modell out there haha. :P

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived