2004 World Series

NJTank

Tank, I gotta admit, I like your thought process on this one.

But the Sox will win in 6, only because I'm going to a Halloween party on the 30th and want to celebrate the WS title then! :D

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Very nice, Tank. I agree, although you left out one huge reason --

The two best pitchers in the series are suiting up for the Red Sox. The Sox have a huge pitching advantage in this series, in terms of starters, and I don't think the Cardinals have the starting pitching to keep the Red Sox quiet.

If the Cardinals can't beat Wakefield in game one, it's going to be VERY difficult for them because that means they have to face Schilling and Pedro 2 times after that. Cardinals better hope their road struggles don't continue from the NLCS into the World Series.

IUe6Hvh.png

Very nice, Tank. I agree, although you left out one huge reason --

The two best pitchers in the series are suiting up for the Red Sox. The Sox have a huge pitching advantage in this series, in terms of starters, and I don't think the Cardinals have the starting pitching to keep the Red Sox quiet.

If the Cardinals can't beat Wakefield in game one, it's going to be VERY difficult for them because that means they have to face Schilling and Pedro 2 times after that. Cardinals better hope their road struggles don't continue from the NLCS into the World Series.

Don't forget, this has been the cardinals "curse" all year. Bad Pitching. They won 105 games with that terrible pitching. Just beat Roger Clemens with their number 5 starter when Roger pitched pretty good.

Suppan scares the living hell out of me. But every single time out there, he puts in 7 innings, a couple runs, a few strikeouts, few walks, and allows only a couple runs. These two teams couldn't be more evenly matched. Two awesome offenses, (boston outscored them by 90 something runs, but they trot Ortiz out there 3-4 times a game while the cardinals have a pitcher bat) two of the best fan bases out there, and what Boston has in Starting pitching, the cardinals make up in the Bullpen and on Defense. I can't wait honestly!

True, true -- if these two teams played this series in the summer, it'd be high scoring. The Cardinals line up in the regular season was able to make up for their pitching, essentially. In the cold, windy conditions, the bats won't be nearly as effective for either team. Pitching wins games in the postseason, and the World Series. You've seen it with teams like the D-Backs and the Marlins in the last few years.

I agree, both teams are very evenly matched -- and remember, the Boston Red Sox defense has been pretty good since they got Cabrera and the Red Sox know how to play the green monster. As for their bullpen, while the Cards bullpen struggled against the Astros in a few games, the Red Sox bullpen was absolutely brilliant against the Yankees. The Cardinals undoubtedly had the best bullpen in the majors, but I haven't seen too much out of them in the postseason that has impressed me.

And I agree that these are the two best fanbases in baseball. While Fenway gives up about 20,000 seats, the intimacy of it makes it just as loud and tough to play in as any other ball park in the league, although I will say it's pretty tough to play in Yankee Stadium when the fans are littering the field. The Cards got screwed on the home field think, the Red Sox take advantage of their field better than any team in the league. :D

Should be an incredible series, maybe one of the best of all time? I think the Cardinals have 6 games to win the Series, as playing in Fenway in game 7 will be pretty damn difficult.

IUe6Hvh.png

True, true -- if these two teams played this series in the summer, it'd be high scoring. The Cardinals line up in the regular season was able to make up for their pitching, essentially. In the cold, windy conditions, the bats won't be nearly as effective for either team. Pitching wins games in the postseason, and the World Series. You've seen it with teams like the D-Backs and the Marlins in the last few years.

I agree, both teams are very evenly matched -- and remember, the Boston Red Sox defense has been pretty good since they got Cabrera and the Red Sox know how to play the green monster. As for their bullpen, while the Cards bullpen struggled against the Astros in a few games, the Red Sox bullpen was absolutely brilliant against the Yankees. The Cardinals undoubtedly had the best bullpen in the majors, but I haven't seen too much out of them in the postseason that has impressed me.

And I agree that these are the two best fanbases in baseball. While Fenway gives up about 20,000 seats, the intimacy of it makes it just as loud and tough to play in as any other ball park in the league, although I will say it's pretty tough to play in Yankee Stadium when the fans are littering the field. The Cards got screwed on the home field think, the Red Sox take advantage of their field better than any team in the league. :D

Should be an incredible series, maybe one of the best of all time? I think the Cardinals have 6 games to win the Series, as playing in Fenway in game 7 will be pretty damn difficult.

Oh I agree. They both have good everythings...that's why they are here. But I think any advantages are slight. I've followed both these teams more than any other team, the Cardinals VERY closely, and the Sox pretty close. And they even out in the end. I'll break it down in my opinion...

Hitting: Even

Top 3 for both teams in ever catagory.

Starting Pitching: Boston

Pedro, Curt. But St. Louis is consistant 1-4. Can't make up for those two superstars.

Relief Pitching: St. Louis

Tavarez, King, Kiko, Lights out all year except at the Juice Box.

Defense: St. Louis

22 Gold Gloves. Boston's great with for the last couple innings when you put in Minchavich (sorry not gonna look up the spelling :))

Home Field: Boston

The only Cardinal outfielder to have played at Fenway regularly in the past is Edmonds (with the Angels) Plus Rabid Fans. St. Louis has awesome fans, but there will be a good number of Sox fans in St. Louis, and there isn't any quirky corners for the Sox to deal with in Busch.

Managers: St. Louis

No question. Sorry.

Chemistry: Even

Both these teams are extremly tight.

Close Games: St. Louis

Cardinals can mash it and play small ball.

High Scoring Games: Even

Both these teams can Kill the Ball

Speed: Even

Damon and Womack. Unless Womack's back continues to bother him (didn't look like it in game 7) its Even.

DH Rule: Boston (Barely)

If it were in St. Louis for 4 games I'd say St. Louis has the advantage. But Mabry/Cedeno/Anderson at DH vs. Ortiz at first, gotta make that Boston.

Curse factor: Boston

I don't think it'll come into play. The players I think had the huge hurdle against the Yankees, and the beat them. The media plays it up more, I think it only gets in these players heads against the Yankees.

Underdog factor: St. Louis

They got overlooked all year. Picked to finish distant third in the Central, won 105 games. They are slight underdogs for the World Series.

My "Homerism": St. Louis

Boston: 4

St. Louis: 5

Basically, too close to call. Giving the Cardinals an extra one, I'll take one away from being a rabid Cardinal Fan. But I'm also a pretty Big Sox fan from my dad's family being from New England.

I'll say...St. Louis in 7.

Allow me to tie that up for ya :P

Bench - Boston

They had the most depth in the league. That depth will come in handy when it comes they have to pinch hit, and even when they need speed on the base paths late with Dave Roberts who scored two of the biggest runs in the Yankees series.

I still say the Cardinals have 6 games to win it. If it goes 7, it's the Sox's series. :D

Like I said, we may be talking about one of the best series' ever.

IUe6Hvh.png

Alright, because I forgot it, I'll let you tie it up. I too would have given a slight edge to Boston, St. Louis has an excellent bench as well. So Taguchi, Cedeno, Anderson, Mabry, Luna, Molina, they all started for about 10+ games this year.

I can't believe I forgot bench!

Lets agree, to agree. Best series ever.

I don't like the Cards because they stopped San Fran from making the playoffs! I'm gonna go for the BoSox, stuff the Cardinals!

Wise decision.

BTW I'm Boston REd Sox & SF Giants fan. That is why I said you "wise decision". :D

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived