Pedro Martínez pinstriped

Swiss

Do you think that next year Martínez will wear NY pinstripes?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yesterday Martínez had an interview with Darth Vader, er---, Steinbrenner.

What are you thinking about it? What will happen next year?

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Being a Yankee Hater, I sure as hell hope Pedro doesn't end up there...

That being said, I don't think it'd work, with the Yanks being Pedro's "daddy" and all. I believe, maybe I'm wrong here, that Yankee fans hate him. So why would either side want to have that kind of awkward relationship....unless Steinbrenner's running out of pitchers to buy....hmmmm... <_<

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

See man, I'm also a Yankeehater and I hope that Martínez will not pitch with a navy blue 45 in his back next year.

If not Boston, he must go to wherever in baseball but the Yankees. I can understand that he wants more money for his personal future but he must understand that he is a man too identified with the Boston ball club.

I don't think that Yankee fans hate him... it's a game between the Yankees fans and Martínez. It's not like the palpable hatred between the Boston fans and Zimmer or ARod. So if Martínez will play in pinstripes, the Yankee fans will welcome him very well.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I guess you're right. It's like, "You're on my team? I love you!.....as long as you don't fluff up!"

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

I think he'll end up in pinstripes.

Here's my deal though:

While I love Pedro and his personality, I have come to realize, that he is not now, nor will he ever be the completely dominating force he was in the late 90's. Matching Schilling's offer is ridiculous to me for a guy who does 2/3's the work Schilling does. You get a max 7 innings out of Pedro now. He's not worth any more than what the Sox offered.

At this point, I would much rather take Pavano and either a Radke, Clement, or even Zito.

Please, G-d, no.

Anything but Pedro.

The only time I ever want to see Pedro on the mound at Yankee Stadium is pitching for the other team.

That said, it's been speculated that the meeting was a mutually beneficially opportunity to make the Sox nervous, Pedro wanting to drive up his price with the "spectre" of his defection to the "dark side" and Steinbrenner more than happy to oblige. For my sake, I hope that's true.

There wasn't much difference in the rumored contract offers from both teams. Pedro's looking for $14 million over 4 years. The Red Sox were offering $13-14M for 2 years, with an option for a 3rd year, plus incentives. The Yankees were offering $14M over 3 years.

These last few years, Pedro has been very erratic in big games, he looks intimidated. After the 17-strikeout game in May 2001 (I think), his record has been at best around .500 against New York. Whether in Boston or in New York, he hasn't had the best track record lately against the Evil Empire.

For someone who is thin-skinned when it comes to criticism, I can't see him going to the one place where the media is harsher than Boston...New York. He might be just visiting to play up his value. The teamis pretty much Schilling's now, and there are better pitchers out there who cost less than Pedro. The last huge free agent signing the Sox made was Manny Ramirez. Everyone else cost a lot less, or came through a trade. The management team has been smart with their acquisitions, but also not shy about its intent to throw big money at someone who fits the needs of the team.

It doesn't matter either way. The Sox got their 86-year-old monkey off their backs, and it won't be as frustrating if they don't win it all this year. Quite a few of the major cogs this year probably won't be on the team next year, and I think it will take a couple seasons to have everyone gel together again, especially in Varitek signs with another team.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

pedro.gif

That was my sig on here for a little while. It was basically my Yankee fan's answer to all those damn Red Sox banners. I suppose I wouldn't really mind having Pedro around, though picking him up may mean giving up on Randy Johnson, who I'd much rather have on my team.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Pedro will be a aynakee next year the Yankees will break the bank for him while teh Red Sox wisely willl let him go since he is gonna go into a rapid decline.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived