Expos move delayed...

jrodsep

THis is just a minor bump in the road they are unveling logo and uniforms Monday, if teh funding falls apart they may still plaay at RFK in DC any way and be a lame duck there as they look for a new home, maybe in Northern Virginia which is DC still anyway.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

You know, every year CC goes on this trip with his dad to see the last game of the expos...and every year it's another last game. People are going to start freaking out of these people if they cannot decide whether to move the team or not..and where to move them. :cursing:

I've seen the last Expos home game ever 5 times now :)

This has been in process for 5 years now?

Not this extreme, but in a way -- yes.

Remember after the 2001 season when they and the Twins were as good as dead?

In 2002 the programs read "1969-2002" on the cover.

After the final game in 2003 the players came out and gave small speeches, much like this season.

Those are the more extreme examples, but they've been seen as a lame duck franchise for about six or seven seasons now.

That means when the autors of the marvelous book "The Twilight Teams" make a revised edition, they may include the 4 final years of the Expos. :P

0967223504.01._PIdp-schmoo2,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Just I was kidding...; that book relates the final year of each team that moved in the MLB.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

"What about if they play ALL of their games on the road and call them 'Bud Selig's Traveling Expos?'" :P

Already done in the Atlantic League. The Pennsylvania Road Warriors. Three years in a row. They just moved Lancaster, PA in 2005 and became the "Barnstormers" and named ex-Cardinal and Phillie Tom Herr their manager.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Personally, I'm enjoying watching MLB screw this up.  I hope they don't have a home for 2005 and are forced to go with some sort of weird compromise for the year -- that'll spice things up, eh?

What about if they play ALL of their games on the road and call them "Bud Selig's Traveling Expos"...... :P

They could always call themselves "Bingo Long's Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings..." ^_^

nav-logo.png

Before Bud Selig, MLB was very stable, I thought, even though there had been a few changes in the commish's office. When they replaced Fay Vincent with Selig, I didn't know what could come of this, such as the strike of 1994, the cancellation of the World Series, talk of contraction, and such.

Never send a clown to do a man's job.

Personally, I'm enjoying watching MLB screw this up. I hope they don't have a home for 2005 and are forced to go with some sort of weird compromise for the year -- that'll spice things up, eh?

What about if they play ALL of their games on the road and call them "Bud Selig's Traveling Expos"...... :P

They could always call themselves "Bingo Long's Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings..." ^_^

LoL....Forgot about that movie. :D

Before Bud Selig, MLB was very stable, I thought, even though there had been a few changes in the commish's office. When they replaced Fay Vincent with Selig, I didn't know what could come of this, such as the strike of 1994, the cancellation of the World Series, talk of contraction, and such.

Never send a clown to do a man's job.

Was it stable? In 1992 there was lockout, under Vincent. The 94 strike would have happened under any commissioner and thus the World Series would have been cancelled. The World Series was not Seligs fault, you can't play a World Series if you don't have players. Contraction was just a negotiation ploy, to try to force the union into the owners plan. Threaten the loss of jobs to try to get an agreement. No team was going to be contracted. Remember, Selig is the only commish to avoid a work stoppage. And the Expos would still be moving now, even if the 94 strike not have happened.

Archived