Any ideas

izombie

There is a USS Rushmore in the U.S. Navy. Its motto is "America's Gator." And a seaman named Lucas Pellens served on the Rushmore as of 1999.

USS-Rushmore-presentation-22NOV99-18.jpg

That's Seaman Pellens on the left helping present an Illinois state flag to an Australian war memorial.

This chain of coincidences revealed by Google makes me suspect that you've got an old jersey of Seaman Pellens' from his time aboard the Rushmore.

20082614447.png

If you're not bull:censored:ting us -- and I haven't bothered to verify your research -- that's some outstanding detective work, BallWonk.

BTW, I very much enjoy your blog. Kornheiser can be unbearable. I remember when he first started on the radio in DC he unfailingly declared how little he knew about sports. Given his take on the Nats, it seems he's returned to form.

If you're not bull:censored:ting us -- and I haven't bothered to verify your research -- that's some outstanding detective work, BallWonk.

BTW, I very much enjoy your blog.

Thanks for the compliments. A quick Google search really did turn up that 1999 photo of Seaman Pellens from USS Rushmore. A search for "rushmore and pellens" will give you the results I got. Since most Navy ships have web sites, it was easy to discover that the Rushmore calls itself "America's Gator." In fact, several crew photo slideshows show gators and crocs in various zoos they've visited while at sea. The crew seems to embrace the whole "gators" identity, so it figures it would show up on any teams the crew might field. (Rushmore's mission is transporting Marines and landing them on beaches. With hovercraft. Hovercraft are cool.)

The strange thing is that the guy bought the jersey in the UK, but USS Rushmore is in the Pacific Fleet. Did Seaman Pellens get transferred to a ship in the Atlantic Fleet and then sell his old Rushmore jersey in England? Did he give the jersey to his Australian girlfriend, who moved to London and then left the now-unwanted shirt at a thrift shop? Were the jersey elves involved?

20082614447.png

Wow, that will be cool if it's the answer!! :D

Sir i bow down to your detective work :notworthy:

The jersey was bought from a company called Flip of Hollywood that imports clothing so i reckon i'll be doing a lot more shopping there.

by the way not everyone who goes to the UK ends up in London, the biggest port is in fact 20 miles from me in Newcastle. It's the place most of the Navy vessels anchor up for a bloody good drinking session, Newcastle being the party capital of the UK. Plus it has Ice Hockey, Soccer, Basketball and Rugby going on........ what better eh?

Anyway cheers guys that was great work, knew i could count on you lot!!

Malk

Archived