Brewers Website Hosts Logo Discussion

rmackman

Fans speak on return of the logo

Brewers TV man gives MLB.com readers a voice

It's just a logo, isn't it?

Not according to hundreds of you, to whom it is an immensely important matter, and much more than a ball and a glove or an "M" resting on barley.

Little did I know that an apparently harmless question would result in the overflowing of my mailbox. So this week, it is your turn to do my work as we peek at a sampling of your thoughts.

Next week, my formal opinion on the question: Should the Brewers return to the ball and glove logo of the past or stay with the current look? (At the time of this writing, it is virtually a dead-even 50-50 vote).

Here's what you said:

I love the old ball-glove logo, but we can't go back. You know how it is when you try to recapture something from the past. It usually ends in disappointment. Hooking up with an old girlfriend? She's not what you remember, and you're not what she remembers. -- Peter S., Appleton, Wis.

I talk to a lot of people who would like to see those uniforms brought back. I think it would really spark the fan attendance and maybe having more fans would help the team. -- Dan C., Rhinelander, Wis.

Let's bury the past. While the "ball and glove" logo reminds us of past glory, it's time to move on. -- Dan D., Waukesha, Wis.

It's so clever with the glove spelling "MB" and I think it would be great to see a change back to the ole ball 'n glove logo. -- Alex G., Milwaukee

It is time to move on and let the past go. It is time to look at the present with a gorgeous new stadium, a devoted manager, and a team-oriented ballclub, that will start causing waves in the NL Central. Ball-glove logo, I love ya baby, but here come the new and improved Brew Crew. -- Scott G., Madison, Wis.

I am all for bringing back the ball-glove logo. The colors need to be updated a little, but the logo itself is pure baseball and reminds everyone of the 'good old days' of baseball in Milwaukee. -- Jon C., Kenosha, Wis.

I am very much against the Brewers bringing back the old ball and glove logo. It is unique and does have a certain appeal, but simply does not belong on a baseball uniform. In my opinion, in baseball the simpler the logo is the better. -- Nate G., Milwaukee

I would love to see the old ball and glove logo return. I personally think it is the greatest logo of any professional sports franchise. -- Erin K., Middleton, Wis.

Say no to the return of "The Logo." -- Tim T., Lancaster, Wis.

I think it's a necessary mind-set change. I'm sure the new owner wants to set a new standard for excellence. The ball in glove logo is that for Milwaukee. We need you to get on the bus! -- Terry F., Louisville, KY

If you go back to the old logo, you are bound to have fans recalling thoughts of the AL Championship team and the "glory days" of the team. And it is not fair to compare this team to the teams of years gone by. -- Tony D., Ft.Wayne, Ind.

I feel bringing back the old logo also must go hand-in-hand with the return of the pinstripe home uniforms. You can't have one without the other. -- Steve W., Milwaukee

Next week, I'll cast my logo vote with reasoning and bring you a report from Arizona. Also, don't forget to join me right here at MilwaukeeBrewers.com weekdays during Spring Training for all the game action on the audio webcasts.

Joining me for about half of the games will be my television partner Bill Schroeder, while the remaining games will be filled with guest hosts and analysts. Current and former Brewers, Doug Melvin, Gord Ash, Rick Schlesinger and other well-known members of the baseball media will be filling this role throughout the schedule. We will have a loaded landing page on this Web site to guide you to the webcasts, and provide a place where you can e-mail us during the games. We need you to keep us busy and make it a truly interactive spring. I am even working on daily prizes to give away (how do free tickets sound?).

The remaining games will have the familiar sounds of Bob Uecker and Jim Powell on the Brewers Radio Network.

Daron Sutton, a one-time Brewers bat boy, is the team's Emmy Award-winning TV play-by-play man and a regular contributor to Milwaukeebrewers.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

QyLA4RGP.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Interesting. I wouldn't mind it if it was recolored in the current blue and gold and worn with the blue alternates.

Next week they should tackle "Milwaukee" on the greys

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Say no to the return of "The Logo." -- Tim T., Lancaster, Wis.

Simple, yet effective :D

I couldn't agree more. There's only one thing keeping the current uniforms from being perfect, and that's the absence of the "Milwaukee" script on the road grays...

QPR%20Sig.png

And pinstripes on the home jerseys.

P.S. This is my 100th post...and I've only been a member for a month! WOOHOO!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I think the glove logo is extremely creative, but I also think it's extremely dated. It looks like it belongs in that time period. Also, for the general person and fan, I bet 9 out of 10 think it's just a glove. It's almost too creative. Some of these things are good for a game or a series, but this retro craze is wayyyy out of hand. Their current logo and unis are fine...and they don't need the barrell man either.

KISSwall09.jpg

If they had gone DIRECTLY to what they have now in 1994 that would be one thing.

But they didn't. They horsed around with the awful green and blue interlocking logo. THen they ditched green and went with the current colors and a block M in either white or gold. THEN they arrived at what they have now with the barley.

I'd heard rumors that Miller Park would see a more refined look (only I'd heard they might directly adopt Millers colors and add a red) and they certainly have. BUT.....

They pi$$ed away the brand for ten years and won like 14 games during the process. Its only natural that the people look back fondly on the times when the Brewers were good and going was fun and affordable.

To go back verbatim would be bad. But I'd like to at least see a modified hybrid of it........ala Seahawks.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

They screwed up Miller Park in the process of all their other mistakes. The place is so generic looking on the inside. The biggest problem I have with it is the color - it's GREEN! Why in the blue he!! don't the True Blue Brew Crew have BLUE seats and Blue steel in their stadium.

Don't bring back the ball and glove logo. If anything, bring back the Germanic lettering and its logo.

It's where I sit.

It's funny when people complain that the mb glove was too generic and could be used for any team anywhere with those initials but then turn around and endorse the mid 90s look with an even more generic MB that could be used even more places.

Lots of logos coudl be generic. The A's could be used if you had a team called the Ants or the Anteaters or whatever. Same goes for the A for the Braves. San Diego's SD could be used if you have those initials as goes for KC, etc. So don't say WELL THATS SO GENERIC as an excuse.

spacer.png

It's funny when people complain that the mb glove was too generic and could be used for any team anywhere with those initials but then turn around and endorse the mid 90s look with an even more generic MB that could be used even more places.

Not sure if this comment was directed my way, but let me explain why that view isn't exactly correct.

Milwaukee is very heavily a German town. The Germanic "M" logo (not the one that has been called the "Motre Bame" logo for its similarity to Notre Dame's interlocking ND) is very appropriate for Milwaukee.

By the way, I'm not sure that anyone has called the MB/Glove logo generic. Rather, it's seen as dated. Big difference.

It's where I sit.

It wasn't directed at you don't worry. Someone else said it.

I'm familiar with the Germanic influence on Milwaukee, trust me. But what did adding green have to do with that? It just never looked right to me. I think they have a good thing going with the current look, and that the best way to appease people who want the glove is to put it on the batting practice or alternate caps in the current colors, and replace the M over Wisconsin which is a tad busy.

The MB logo, while now synonymus with the Brewers, could have symbolized any M-B city/nickname. There was nothing about it specific to Milwaukee. Not that many of the other teams cap logos were any different, except maybe Houston or the Yankees.

I've felt that if there were a way to modernize that logo, and still include something city-specific about it, that would be good. It could appease all those who miss the old logo, and those who appreciate the regional significance of the newer versions.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

It wasn't directed at you don't worry. Someone else said it.

I'm familiar with the Germanic influence on Milwaukee, trust me. But what did adding green have to do with that? It just never looked right to me. I think they have a good thing going with the current look, and that the best way to appease people who want the glove is to put it on the batting practice or alternate caps in the current colors, and replace the M over Wisconsin which is a tad busy.

OK - I understand what you're saying, and totally agree with you! :D

It's where I sit.

where's ICS? haha. That ball in glove is horrific, i dont care if it has a hidden M and B, it's just stupid looking. They have an awesome and traditional look now and they shouldn't be changed.

Howard1.jpg

I agree with the second part, the current Brewers package looks really great, it's a nice take on the classic blue and gold, the cap logo is cool, the scripts look nice, everything's good. But there's a big contingent of people who want the ball-in-glove back, so I'm saying there would be little harm done if they recolored it to fit the color scheme and wore it as a BP or alternate cap.

where's ICS? haha. That ball in glove is horrific, i dont care if it has a hidden M and B, it's just stupid looking. They have an awesome and traditional look now and they shouldn't be changed.

Expect that the road unis should say Milwaukee, right Moser? :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Expect that the road unis should say Milwaukee, right Moser? :D

Exactly. Put the "Milwaukee" script from the alternate logo in place of the "Brewers" script on the away jerseys, and you've got perfection right there...

QPR%20Sig.png

I made a post before with my idea of how to freshen up the Brewers outfits. I got a lot of people liking it and some who didn't (can't please everyone). For those of you who haven't seen it let me know and I'll re-post my version.

spacer.png

Archived