Expanding the AHL

Sodboy13

Okay, since the AHL is now the premier league for pro hockey in North America (for better or worse,) let's talk about it a little. The Iowa Stars are entering the AHL next season, expanding the AHL to 29 teams. Assuming that all of this year's franchises stick around (the Worcester affiliation is being transferred to Peoria, so no team lost there,) the next logical step would be to expand to 30 teams, thereby giving each NHL club its own farm team. So, where should the 30th AHL team go? My vote is for either Oklahoma City or Fort Wayne. Both teams are drawing upwards of 7,000 fans per game in AA leagues. Both teams have a long history of sustained fan support. Of course, I imagine there are other cities that are also viable candidates. I have a soft spot for the Komets, myself, because that would bring to 8 the total number of franchises from my beloved IHL into the AHL. What do you guys think?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think the Calgary Flames are committed to putting a team in Omaha next season. Their contact to be a dual affiliate of the Lowell LockMonsters ends after this season, and Calgary will be sending its players to the Midwest. The Carolina Hurricanes will remain as Lowell's NHL affiliate.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

If Worcester could get a team together, there's no reason they couldn't have another one.

From what I understand, the move has very little to do with problems in Worcester. Rather, it's a matter of the owner of the current Peoria team and Blues second level minor league team wanting to make their team (well actually relinquishing/folding/selling their team, buying and then moving Worcester) the top level Blues affiliate.

I'll bet the low attendance numbers also figured into that move to Peoria as well. Worcester has been in the bottom quarter of the league in attendance the past few seasons.

I did hear a rumor that some people from Portland had been down to take a look at the DCU Center back in November when the move was first mentioned, but I have no idea if it's about a possible move for the Pirates franchise.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

You know what I dont get? People that complain about teams moving due to poor attendance, but have never been to a game themselves. Not saying its any of you guys. I was talkin to a guy today and he was like yeah the colts better not move, it wouldnt be right for the fans. so i asked if hes ever been to a game. and what do ya know he hasnt.

on a side note, democrats in the indiana statehouse are dumb, they boycotted and killed over 130 bills, including financing for the stadium.

If Worcester could get a team together, there's no reason they couldn't have another one.

From what I understand, the move has very little to do with problems in Worcester. Rather, it's a matter of the owner of the current Peoria team and Blues second level minor league team wanting to make their team (well actually relinquishing/folding/selling their team, buying and then moving Worcester) the top level Blues affiliate.

Yep, it's something the Peoria owners have wanted to do ever since they went down a notch back in '96 - make themselves the Blues' top affiliate again.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

See below :D

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

I think the Calgary Flames are committed to putting a team in Omaha next season. Their contact to be a dual affiliate of the Lowell LockMonsters ends after this season, and Calgary will be sending its players to the Midwest. The Carolina Hurricanes will remain as Lowell's NHL affiliate.

RIGHT!

Lowell currently shares affiliations with Calgary and Carolina just as Hamilton shares with Dallas and Montreal.

There's no need for a 30th when Rochester dominates the other 28 :P

17 straight here!

Team GP W L T OTL SOL PTS

Rochester 60 42 10 0 3 5 92

Manitoba 57 34 16 0 1 6 75

St. John's 60 33 23 0 1 3 70

Edmonton 58 26 20 0 4 8 64

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

SOrry, I used the back button to edit. It's early in the morning here!

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Commissioner of

Like mentioned before

Worcester is going to Peoria

St.John's is going to Toronto

Iowa joins the league.

Calgary has mentioned of putting a team in Omaha, but nothing is official yet.

Portland has also thought of putting a team in Worcester(and I dont see why not.)

If the Omaha thing doesnt fall through I would have to say(If theNHL doesnt make it happen at least give the AHL a try) Seattle. Yes they have junior hockey but its just not the same as professional hockey.

Also mentioned before in a post were Quebec City, Kansas City,and Oklahoma City.

I think it would be a good idea for the OKC Blazers to leave the CHL for the AHL.The Ford Center seats 18,100, so the arena is definitly big enough.

Kansas City just got back in the hockey game with a team in the UHL, but with the building of a new arena, they are trying to lure an NHL team to KC.

Quebec City had a team in the AHL from 1999-02. Im not sure why they folded, but Quebec needs a new team.

Signature intentionally left blank

Archived