Green bay v/s Georgia

BRYWHIT

Many a UGA fan/alum has told me the Pack did it first.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

From Packers.com:

1961-present: First and only helmet logo in team history, designed for Lombardi by equipment manager Dad Braisher and first applied to Packers headgear in 1961. After introducing the G, the team immediately won two world titles (1961-62), and five over the mark's first seven years. Borrowed by scores of schools, college and high school.

Some of the confusion may be brought on by the fact that the Georgia style G (dark G with light outline) can be used on checks, thus making some people believe that it is the "original" version of the logo. You have to pay a fee to use the Packers G (light G with dark outline).

It's where I sit.

Sec's right - the Packers were the first to use it. Georgia liked it so much they asked if they could use it as well.

Are you sure about that distinction, Sec? The Packers use both a white "G" on dark green background and a dark green "G" on white background. Here's Grambling's version. Note that they use both the light and dark versions:

Football04.jpg

I know this is heretical, but I actually prefer the interlocking "GB" that Lomardi wore on his cap to the "G." Beautiful logo, though. The standard by which so many other logos are judged (the Sonics, for example, openly admitted that it was an influence on their new logo). Pretty good work for an equipment manager - way to go, Dad!

Archived