pcgd

Illustrator Help

Recommended Posts

Is there a way I can type in the angle I want between two points? Normally, between two points, you have to drag those horizontal lines and move them precisely to get the curve/angle you want. Isn't there a way I just say I want a curve between the two points at X degrees?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is there a secret to getting lettering to evenly and neatly diagonal on the front of a jersey, a la NY Rangers?  I try it by hand and it never ever looks right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2018 at 7:07 PM, UniformJipetto said:

is there a secret to getting lettering to evenly and neatly diagonal on the front of a jersey, a la NY Rangers?  I try it by hand and it never ever looks right.

 

set text.  select and use the object>transform>shear settings (shear angle -30deg, vertical, 90deg angle, check the preview.  may take a few times to get the angle you want.  and it's not a "live effect" so if you're not happy you'll have to go back and redo. play w a few times.  the shear transform will distort the text, but it is editable so you can adjust horizontal scale (100% letter width, expand, or condensed text) and play w spacing til you get it the way you want.  might be easier to set text after playing w settings, then apply the shear settings you like.

 

nice work on the dribble page!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2017 at 2:58 PM, Quillz said:

Is there a way I can type in the angle I want between two points? Normally, between two points, you have to drag those horizontal lines and move them precisely to get the curve/angle you want. Isn't there a way I just say I want a curve between the two points at X degrees?

 

not w illustrator.  sign software like flexisign or gerber omega has distort features like this, but not illy.  you can set text and apply a warp>arc (or arch depending on the effect you're after) and adjust settings.  both will distort your type a little so may need to readjust if it looks too wonky.

another way to approach is draw the curve you want and use the 'type on a path' tool (click drag the T toolbar icon to fly out options).  once type is set you can use bezier curve handles to tweak the curve/angle you're wanting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pagan696 said:

 

set text.  select and use the object>transform>shear settings (shear angle -30deg, vertical, 90deg angle, check the preview.  may take a few times to get the angle you want.  and it's not a "live effect" so if you're not happy you'll have to go back and redo. play w a few times.  the shear transform will distort the text, but it is editable so you can adjust horizontal scale (100% letter width, expand, or condensed text) and play w spacing til you get it the way you want.  might be easier to set text after playing w settings, then apply the shear settings you like.

 

nice work on the dribble page!

Thanks! I'll give it a shot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.