Illustrator Help

pcgd

Is there a way I can type in the angle I want between two points? Normally, between two points, you have to drag those horizontal lines and move them precisely to get the curve/angle you want. Isn't there a way I just say I want a curve between the two points at X degrees?

• 7 months later...
On 3/27/2018 at 7:07 PM, UniformJipetto said:

is there a secret to getting lettering to evenly and neatly diagonal on the front of a jersey, a la NY Rangers?  I try it by hand and it never ever looks right.

set text.  select and use the object>transform>shear settings (shear angle -30deg, vertical, 90deg angle, check the preview.  may take a few times to get the angle you want.  and it's not a "live effect" so if you're not happy you'll have to go back and redo. play w a few times.  the shear transform will distort the text, but it is editable so you can adjust horizontal scale (100% letter width, expand, or condensed text) and play w spacing til you get it the way you want.  might be easier to set text after playing w settings, then apply the shear settings you like.

nice work on the dribble page!

• Like 1

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

On 8/27/2017 at 2:58 PM, Quillz said:

Is there a way I can type in the angle I want between two points? Normally, between two points, you have to drag those horizontal lines and move them precisely to get the curve/angle you want. Isn't there a way I just say I want a curve between the two points at X degrees?

not w illustrator.  sign software like flexisign or gerber omega has distort features like this, but not illy.  you can set text and apply a warp>arc (or arch depending on the effect you're after) and adjust settings.  both will distort your type a little so may need to readjust if it looks too wonky.

another way to approach is draw the curve you want and use the 'type on a path' tool (click drag the T toolbar icon to fly out options).  once type is set you can use bezier curve handles to tweak the curve/angle you're wanting.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

2 hours ago, pagan696 said:

set text.  select and use the object>transform>shear settings (shear angle -30deg, vertical, 90deg angle, check the preview.  may take a few times to get the angle you want.  and it's not a "live effect" so if you're not happy you'll have to go back and redo. play w a few times.  the shear transform will distort the text, but it is editable so you can adjust horizontal scale (100% letter width, expand, or condensed text) and play w spacing til you get it the way you want.  might be easier to set text after playing w settings, then apply the shear settings you like.

nice work on the dribble page!

Thanks! I'll give it a shot

• 2 months later...

This was originally a garbage post from a few years ago because I wanted to create my own thread, so I decided to just say random things on random forums, and got rightly reported for that. Sorrryyyyy.

Clearly, no one has been on here in a very long time, but if someone happens to need Illustrator help, especially if just starting out, here's a few tips that I have learned:

- Scale strokes and effects in General Preferences. This will allow you to take a whole thing with different shapes and strokes in it, and scale it as if it was an         image, so that way you won't have to change the thickness of lines and all that mess

- Only create enough artboards for what you intend to be the number for the final project. For example, if you're creating a logo and you plan on displaying it on a white and a black background, only create two dartboards. You can sketch and design off in the very large, gray margins, while keeping the size of your file a little smaller in the end

- Don't bother with the features of the program at first, and focus on black and white concepts

- Copy and paste as you go along instead of just working on the same thing. For example, if you were to draw a smiley face, maybe get the circle, and paste it. Then, the eyes and the mouth, and paste that. Then color it, and you can see where you came from, if you made any mistakes, and if previous iterations were better

Edited by hkynik_55
I spammed two years ago

• 2 years later...