New Mexico State...more to come?

sputnik1980

Apparently the rather disappoining redo of the NM State logo discussed last week may not be the final result of NMSU's rebranding project. The university is apparently also getting ready to unveil a modernized/reworked update of the classic (albeit ripped off from Oklahoma State) Pistol Pete logo. They're apparently showing a not-yet-finalized version around to some select individuals for input and gearing up for a public unveiling later this summer. Although this is purely speculatory, I'm guessing that the unveiling may be scheduled on or near July 1, the day the Aggies officially join the WAC.

BTW, although the new, black-free NM State logo is out there and being used regularly by media outlets, the official athletic department website still features the old logo, further indication to me that something more may be coming...

• 2 months later...

here's the news story on this one:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n.../s043910D32.DTL

New Mexico State University's mascot, Pistol Pete, is being disarmed. University officials have also stripped the word "Pistol" from Pete's name. The new logo shows Pete twirling a lasso. The old Pete toted a pistol.

The changes are part of a marketing plan to remake the university's image on the national stage. Officials have been working on a redesign of Pistol Pete for months.

Athletics director McKinley Boston said the university plans to unveil the new Pete later this month.

The decision to remove the pistol had more to do with a consensus when picking from several designs of the new logo, rather than any push for the mascot to stop brandishing a weapon, Boston said.

He acknowledged there are mixed feelings among alumni, but said he has heard more positive feedback than negative.

Though no one seems to know exactly how long Pete has been around NMSU, the current costume is 40 years old.

Oscar Avalos, a 2003 NMSU graduate, was disappointed that Pete will no longer be packing his pistol at sporting events.

"Is he going to be Lasso Pete now?" Avalos asked.

NMSU also has unveiled new football uniforms and helmets, and officially designated crimson and white as its colors, eliminating black from all uniforms.

I'm telling you, we are not far off from a school renaming themselves the Pussies. I can see it coming. You heard it here first.

*looks for places where release mentions a team name change*

*finds none*

*writes art rant off as another baseless knee-jerking reaction*

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

*reads last post 6 times"

*can't figure out what he's talking about*

*doesn't laugh*

He was sarcastically commenting upon your latest over-the-top, knee-jerk pronouncement on the world of collegiate sports logos. As per usual, you've completely over-reacted to a university redesigning the logo of its athletic program. About the only thing missing from your commentary in this thread is your usual lambasting of Phoenix Design Works.

Of course, given that PDW had nothing to do with this redesign, one would hope that you'd refrain from attacking them in this case.

:rolleyes:

As per usual, you've completely over-reacted to a university redesigning the logo of its athletic program.

Of course, given that PDW had nothing to do with this redesign, one would hope that you'd refrain from attacking them in this case.

:rolleyes:

I'm "completely overreacting." Please. This board has had hundreds of pages of discussion about political correctness and how it's killing the sports world, and the world in general. One additional comment and I'm overreacting. I didn't say anything about the redesign. I was commenting about the removal of the name Pistol for PC reasons.

And as far as me "attacking" PDW, give me a break. I give my opinion just like everyone else. If you don't agree, then too bad. If you really think that the work they continue to put out is worth the tens of thousands of dollars that they get then fine, that's your opinion. We'll agree to disagree. It's extremely frustrating when I see work (especially work posted by members of this board) that is 100 times better than anything Phoenix puts out, which, in my personal opinion is garbage. I know PDW didn't create this mark becuase it's actualy decent.

"...and you want to be my latex salesman."

vandelay.jpg

I'm "completely overreacting." Please. This board has had hundreds of pages of discussion about political correctness and how it's killing the sports world, and the world in general. One additional comment and I'm overreacting. I didn't say anything about the redesign. I was commenting about the removal of the name Pistol for PC reasons.

Yes, claiming that "we are not far off from a school renaming themselves the Pussies," is an overreaction.

It's safe to say that no college athletic program is going to drop their current identity in favor of "Pussies"... for reasons of "political correctness" or any other reason. Claiming that you "can see it coming" is a disingenuous attempt at hyperbole (exaggeration for the sake of effect) at best.

I guess I can comment on this now since my name was officially revealed. I did the new logos and wordmarks for NMSU. There was to be a news conference on August 23, but the Las Cruces Sun-News somehow got the new logo and printed it in the Sunday edition of their paper. There is also a version of the logo with Pete holding a brand which may become an alternate logo. They are still debating which version of the brand to use, one is readable, the other is reversed which is correct for a brand. I didn't work the entire 13 months on it, it was off and on over that period. I did a lot of tweaking on the logos since May 2nd when they contacted me about using them. I designed all kinds of uniforms and alternate logos, I think they are still deciding what they will officially use. By the way, I didn't design the new university logo or the new football helmets and uniforms. Anyway it will be great to see it being used.

here's the news story on this one:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n.../s043910D32.DTL

New Mexico State University's mascot, Pistol Pete, is being disarmed. University officials have also stripped the word "Pistol" from Pete's name. The new logo shows Pete twirling a lasso. The old Pete toted a pistol.

PC STRIKES AGAIN!!!

<_<

QOVSCDWYBGDHLCC.20050815174335.jpg

Yeah... the designer's persistence certainly paid off for him.

That is about the most un-dynamic pose you could come up with for a guy twirling a lasso.

Even the lasso doesn't look like it's moving at all.

Wow.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

The pose itself is interesting, but I don't think it's rendered that well. The position of the hand and arm don't feel like the cowboy is swinging the lasso around. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it seems like there's too much slack in the lasso for it to be held up and twirling?wouldn't the rope be straighter between the fist and the knot?

Overall, it's better than the NM-State logo that was in use. It's a good start, anyway.

Props for not going 100% Berthold City Bold Italic. The modifications are a nice touch.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I'm wondering where the rest of the Village People are...while well executed, the logo is, uh...gay.

You can tell by looking? Dude, I wish I had that ability.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived